• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewan
    • Apr 2017
    • Adelaide

ECU compatibility help!

Anyone know if an ecu from an auto is plug and play in a manual? Both 6g72 s and both NKs . went from running fine to deciding not to start overnight. Got spark, got a fuel and got appropriate noises What I don't have is any idea why it won't start
    Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

NK should be 6g74 but the NJ 6g72 uses the one ecu for both and the NL SOHC 6G74 does as well..... cant say for the DOHC (which I believe yours should be) - later years I believe (NM on) had different ECU's
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Drewan
      • Apr 2017
      • Adelaide

May 97 NK 6g72 12valve with single coil and a dizzy auto is thats the donor is August both the same engine, any other obscure theory's as to why it won't go are greatly appreciated at this point nothing is to ludicrous
      Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Drewan View Post
        May 97 NK 6g72 12valve with single coil and a dizzy auto is thats the donor is August both the same engine, any other obscure theory's as to why it won't go are greatly appreciated at this point nothing is to ludicrous
        It's quite common for the Gen2 ECUs to fail. To the point where it's almost impossible to get one from a wrecker. What happens is that some of the electrolytic capacitors on the board leak, and corrode the tracks. I repaired the one in my old NH that had this problem. If you were in Syd I'd offer to help you fix it mate... All else fails, take the ECU to an electronics repair shop and get them to go over the board. The failures are very evident. Ask them to replace all the electros on the board, and repair any tracks that have been damaged by the dielectric.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.
        '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
        '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
        '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
        '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Drewan
          • Apr 2017
          • Adelaide

Thanks for that, kinda living in hope it's just the ECU. I can get one from the wreckers in the morning, and hopefully get home (keep telling the Wife it's an adventure) it did the once before and after much cranking and jump starting it fired up and was fine for about 3 days. Thought it was fouled plugs but as there immovable objects (can't get any of the 7 different plug sockets/tube spanners to get a grip, yet I can see the Hex on the plugs they seem to be recessed into the head some how. Only had it for 3 weeks so it's a learning curve

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

Thanks for that, kinda living in hope it's just the ECU. I can get one from the wreckers in the morning, and hopefully get home (keep telling the Wife it's an adventure) it did the once before and after much cranking and jump starting it fired up and was fine for about 3 days. Thought it was fouled plugs but as there immovable objects (can't get any of the 7 different plug sockets/tube spanners to get a grip, yet I can see the Hex on the plugs they seem to be recessed into the head some how. Only had it for 3 weeks so it's a learning curve
            I used to have a car like that once.... Had to put a plug socket on the lathe and turn it down to fit. In an emergency you could always take to one with an angle grinder.

Comment

• Drewan
              • Apr 2017
              • Adelaide

Um may or may not have already attacked 2 of my snap on sockets with a 4" battery Grinder (guess they won't be covered by warranty anymore) but when your several Hundred Ks from home desperate measures are required. They went in they have to come out. If the ECU won't get it started, I'll pull the heads and attack them that way. Not like we're going anywhere

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Um may or may not have already attacked 2 of my snap on sockets with a 4" battery Grinder (guess they won't be covered by warranty anymore) but when your several Hundred Ks from home desperate measures are required. They went in they have to come out. If the ECU won't get it started, I'll pull the heads and attack them that way. Not like we're going anywhere
                I recall hearing that I the V6, the inlet manifold has to come off to remove one of the banks of plugs.... That was in the E-W configuration of the Magna. Not sure about the Paj. The come out of the factory with long-life plugs good for at least 100,000kms apparently. After that, it's a lottery I guess.

Comment

• Drewan
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Adelaide

I read the same thing, but also read that the 12v 6g72 that mine "allegedly " is doesn't require anything other than a plug spanner and a universal joint. Disturbing part is if I can't get this thing running I'm going to have to get my Son to come and rescue us (I'll never hear the end of it)

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

I can't explain why it won't start if you have spark & fuel.

My recollection of the wiring diagram is the only difference is the Park / Neutral interlock for starting - I think the manual had that input straight to earth.

I've swapped the plugs in my Shorty (NJ 3.0 12V) a few times - very straight forward.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Drewan
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Adelaide

Got me as well, was certain it was the fuel pump to the point that I pulled out the draws so I could get it out, but all checks out fine, injectors receiving pulse, spark on all 6 leads with a spark plug not a test plug small black box on the side off the throttle body sounds like it's working (what is that?) resistor, coil and ignition module test fine. Dizzy cap very worn (replace tomorrow) but it started no problem yesterday.

Comment

• Drewan
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Adelaide

OK new ECU tryed and epic fail my ECU opened up and caps checked (all new) tested all OK. Now comming back to dizzy new dizzy 2 weeks away a and$$$$ new module for dizzy $395 and 1weeks away. What I do have is a complete dizzy but mine is different internally the replacement has like a slotted wheel inside, Question is is it safe to try???

Comment

• Drewan
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Adelaide

Problem Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Took out the dizzy to try the different one and pored yes poured about 12 dead earwigs out put dizzy back in runs better than ever before!!!!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X