• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techedz
    • Aug 2019
    • South Canberra

Homemade bug spray that works

A couple of years ago I was trying to find a bug spray that works. All of the products at Supercrap and other auto-parts stores did not work so I started searching the net.

I found out that if you used two laundry anti-static dryer sheets rolled up in a spray bottle so that the pickup tube can fit in the centre and added water. You simply spray this on the area covered in bugs (out of the sun), let it soak in for 5 - 10 minutes and then wash the area normally with a sponge and shampoo and rinse off. A full spray bottle will last about 2-3 full cleans.

I found this technique out when I came across a video of a guy who used this to clean the bugs off the perspex windscreen of his plane without damaging the screen.

This home-made remedy lasts for about 10 bottle refills and then you just pull out the sheets and put new ones in. The box of anti-static sheets contains 250 sheets and costs around $5 so that works out to about 0.4 cents per bottle.

In 2018, Bowdens finally released Bugger Off which is a yellow liquid in a spray bottle available at Supercrap and other auto-part stores for $10. I bought it to compare it and they both worked the same, but $10 compared to $00.4 (0.4c).

Here's the sheets I bought.
    NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Sounds good. There are heaps of good, simple cheap alternatives to a lot of the cleaners, deodorants, wipes etc.etc that we buy. Guess many of us are either lazy or suckers for advertising!!

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Oven
      • May 2020
      • Sidney

How is this better or worse than spray insecticide from the pharmacy or store?

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

This appears to be for cleaning bugs off the windscreen rather than keeping bugs off yourself

Comment

• xadrian82
          • Feb 2017
          • Queensland

Interesting. Will give it a try since it is not pricey.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X