• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirty23
    • Jan 2017
    • Adelaide

Will 16x8-285/75r16 fit NM pajero?

Could someone please tell me, in simple, straight forward terms, if a set of 16x8 Sunraysia rims with Pegasus advanta 285/75r16 A/T tyres, would fit a stock nm pajero with no lift etc? I am unsure of the offset, only that the wheels came off a 2012 Mitsubishi triton. Please keep explanations as simple as can be, I've tried reading other threads on this topic, but have become confused from all the conflicting answers. Also any info on what I would have to do to make them fit would be appreciated
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Without know the exact offset you are unlikely to get an answer.

Triton run 38mm offset as standard but many aftermarket rims fitted are offset 30mm, the 285/75R16 is a large diameter wide tyre but "NJswb" has them on his Gen 3 shorty but it does have a suspension lift.

On your NM the only way to really tell is to have a trial fit and then drive up some car ramps placed under diagonally opposed wheels front and rear to check clearances, when up on the ramp get someone inside the car to very carefully turn the steering lock to lock whilst you check the clearances, watch carefully if the ramps want to move or the tyre starts to slip on the ramp. Remember to straighten the steering before reversing off the ramps!

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kirty23 View Post
      Could someone please tell me, in simple, straight forward terms, if a set of 16x8 Sunraysia rims with Pegasus advanta 285/75r16 A/T tyres, would fit a stock nm pajero with no lift etc? I am unsure of the offset, only that the wheels came off a 2012 Mitsubishi triton. Please keep explanations as simple as can be, I've tried reading other threads on this topic, but have become confused from all the conflicting answers. Also any info on what I would have to do to make them fit would be appreciated
      Probably.

Not legally - wheel track will almost certainly be well outside legal limits, and more importantly, it will make a massive change to your scrub radius, and place horrendous extra load on wheel bearings and steering joints.

A not insignificant number of owners have run 285/75-16 tyres on NM Pajeros using Patrol rims, which typically come with around zero offset vs around -40 for your NM. That's a change in track of around 3 times the legal limit.

I'm not aware that any manufacturer ever made a "Triton fitment" Sunraysia style wheel, so the 16x8 rims are probably "Patrol fitment" which, last time I checked (a long time ago - I have 16x8 zero offset Mullins steel wheels on Shorty), were either zero offset, or-13.

Bottom line, i wouldn't.

Edit: OJ posted while I was swiping on my phone.

I missed the 2012 bit for the Triton - if the "Sunnies" are newer then the offset may be more suited to the NM. As OJ wrote, we really need the offset to give you accurate advice.

Also, my NJ is Gen 2, not Gen 3. Factory offset was 10mm with a 30" tyre, so zero offset on the 33s is within legal track and helps to offset the scrub radius change that comes with the larger tyres.

For what it's worth, I run 32" tyres on my NT, and they rub inside the wheel well on compression. I don't know how people run 33s on Gen 3/4 without rubbing.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Kirty23
        • Jan 2017
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        Probably.

Not legally - wheel track will almost certainly be well outside legal limits, and more importantly, it will make a massive change to your scrub radius, and place horrendous extra load on wheel bearings and steering joints.

A not insignificant number of owners have run 285/75-16 tyres on NM Pajeros using Patrol rims, which typically come with around zero offset vs around -40 for your NM. That's a change in track of around 3 times the legal limit.

I'm not aware that any manufacturer ever made a "Triton fitment" Sunraysia style wheel, so the 16x8 rims are probably "Patrol fitment" which, last time I checked (a long time ago - I have 16x8 zero offset Mullins steel wheels on Shorty), were either zero offset, or-13.

Bottom line, i wouldn't.

Edit: OJ posted while I was swiping on my phone.

I missed the 2012 bit for the Triton - if the "Sunnies" are newer then the offset may be more suited to the NM. As OJ wrote, we really need the offset to give you accurate advice.

Also, my NJ is Gen 2, not Gen 3. Factory offset was 10mm with a 30" tyre, so zero offset on the 33s is within legal track and helps to offset the scrub radius change that comes with the larger tyres.

For what it's worth, I run 32" tyres on my NT, and they rub inside the wheel well on compression. I don't know how people run 33s on Gen 3/4 without rubbing.
        I'm looking at another set which are 31/10.5r15 which I believe are close to 265/17r15 and offset is +20 would this be an ok option?

Comment

• Kirty23
          • Jan 2017
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Bren
          i cant comment about offset but i ran 285/75/r16 wheels on my np with original suspension at 200,000+ k's on the clock. the only difference i noticed was the fuel economoy worsened. they fit with no scrubbage. Ran like that for 2 years with no dramas.

picture of my beast with them on is here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHHELMUgtMW/
          Dunno if the np is different or what, maybe you had just the right offset

Comment

• Hungie
            • Jan 2015
            • NSW Central Coast

Not without some serious scrubbing. At anywhere near full lock the tyre will rub on the front and back of the front wheel arches. I'm running +20 offset 16x8 steel wheels with 285/76 r16 and even after my 2 inch lift they scrubbed pretty bad. Standard wheels on these are +46 offset 16x7's by the way.

These Paj's have a really good turning circle due to how far the wheels can turn, which doesn't help the scrubbing issue. Nothing a bit of plastic bumper trimming can't fix

Good luck with it
            Last edited by Hungie; 17-02-17, 05:37 PM.
            03 NP Exceed 3.5 V6 petrol auto, 2 inch Lovells / Bilstein lift, 15mm poly spacer in rear, 8mm alloy strut spacer in front (total 3" lift) 16x8 Ballistic Jester alloys 0 offset, 33" (285/75/16) Atturo Trail Blade M/T's, 2.5 exhaust with Advance extractors into high flow steel CAT and tri-flow muffler & resonator

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X