• Show
Clear All
  • jimiw
    • Jan 2017
    • Brisbane

PB Challenger surging and "crunch"

Hi,

second post! 2 in one day :P

I know there is heaps on here about surging on the challenger and I have a dealer booked in for monday but also when I am trying to overtake or anything where have to put pedal to the floor after 4-5 seconds i hear a massive crunch like gears grinding?

I know you shouldn't foot to the floor with these cars but surely that isn't right cause its getting in gear but making the horrible noise after 4-5 seconds.

I have cleaned the MAF as suggested but still surges so hopefully the dealer can look at the SCV

anything else common that I should get them to look at while I'm there? 5 years up in may

Thanks!!
    2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by jimiw View Post
    Hi,

second post! 2 in one day :P

I know there is heaps on here about surging on the challenger and I have a dealer booked in for monday but also when I am trying to overtake or anything where have to put pedal to the floor after 4-5 seconds i hear a massive crunch like gears grinding?

I know you shouldn't foot to the floor with these cars but surely that isn't right cause its getting in gear but making the horrible noise after 4-5 seconds.

I have cleaned the MAF as suggested but still surges so hopefully the dealer can look at the SCV

anything else common that I should get them to look at while I'm there? 5 years up in may

Thanks!!
    Auto or Manual

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• jimiw
      • Jan 2017
      • Brisbane

auto
      2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

RE: the grinding noise;

Checked your radiator fan? Maybe its bending forward a bit and touching something around your radiator.

EDIT: Had something like that years ago and it was a broken engine mount. The engine would tilt up when accelerating so the fan was hitting the radiator shroud.

2nd Edit: Get someone to watch the engine while you rev it quickly in neutral to see if there is any movement of the engine.
        Last edited by 900canoes; 20-01-17, 04:39 PM.
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• coughy
          Valued Member
          • May 2014
          • Redlands Brisbane QLD

bonnet up stand to side watch why person in car places in drive and hand brake on push brake into firewall and attemp to drive off while out side person looking for noise or movement??
          My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
          New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• jimiw
            • Jan 2017
            • Brisbane

Ok thanks will try. Sorry Coughy didn't quite understand the part about push brake into firewall?

Comment

• Legs11
              • Oct 2014
              • Ipswich, QLD

With the engine running and transmission in D, stand hard on the brake pedal, then apply a moderate pressure to the accelerator. You'll feel the car start to strain against the brake, hold it there while your helper watches the engine.

This will load up the drivetrain, and exaggerate any potential movement in the engine due to bad mounts etc.
              2014 PC Challenger manual with an extensive list of mods - seat covers and a towbar

Comment

• shortSteve
                • Dec 2012
                • Perth

Just don't run each other over mmkay.
                MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• jimiw
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Brisbane

Yeah don't think my wife would like that. Just gonna get the dealer to check it when they do the surging thing. Good to know though I'll mention it to them

Thanks! Will keep posted

Comment

• jimiw
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Brisbane

any other common things to get them to check?

May as well if they are going to charge me a diagnosis fee for any non warranty stuff

Comment

• 900canoes
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2008
                      • FNQ

Yeah don't think my wife would like that. Just gonna get the dealer to check it when they do the surging thing. Good to know though I'll mention it to them

Thanks! Will keep posted
                      If a mount has broken then that could be the cause of the surging also. Good luck and let us know what the dealer finds.
                      2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

any other common things to get them to check?

May as well if they are going to charge me a diagnosis fee for any non warranty stuff
                        If you do not normally get a dealer service and you have an auto trans it would be worthwhile seeing if they will update the software on both engine and trans ECU's.
                        Also a number of recalls to be checked off.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jimiw
                          • Jan 2017
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          If you do not normally get a dealer service and you have an auto trans it would be worthwhile seeing if they will update the software on both engine and trans ECU's.
                          Also a number of recalls to be checked off.

OJ.
                          they reckon they couldn't find a surging fault or crunching fault at all.

over these dealers. they are all scammers going to get my mechanic to look at it.

did mention a gas strut recall and said something else needed to be checked "next time i get a service with them" - like thats EVER going to happen

anyone know a good mitso dealer in north brisbane.....or anywhere brisbane?

Comment

• cookie9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Central Coast NSW

did mention a gas strut recall
                            Did they offer the auto/ecu update? I know with my dealer they flat out kept saying my car has all the required updates... it wasnt until I really pursued it and showed them the update for auto temp, that OJ provided me (thanks) they finally agreed to do the updates.

I saw on my sheet the gas strut recall, they didnt have any stock.. mine has aftermarket (longer) ones so glad they didnt replace them!

In my 3 days having the car since the updates, very subjectively, I think it goes better and seems to be using less fuel. The second would be due to SQL which hasnt been done for 18months. The dealer has you by the balls on that count!
                            2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• jimiw
                              • Jan 2017
                              • Brisbane

didnt offer me the auto/ecu update. i only saw the post afterwards so didnt ask. afraid they are going to charge me even more to do it.

they said something about the SQL but i can't remember what.
                              what is it?

not taking it to them again. they said they are ordering in the gas strut but bugger them Ill just get the place closer to me to do it and not take it there. recall so free anyway

going to contact the dealer i bought it from and see if they will look after me even though its right out of my way and ill have to sit there and wait.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X