Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

How the Challenger auto works.....

This will explain why the auto is poo.
    Attached Files
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
  • PeterC51
    • Dec 2015
    • Melbourne

It's missing the 'oil of disillusionment'
    Peter
    MY10 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF, WaterWatch alarm, AutoMate, Steinbaur chip etc.

Comment

• picard
      Valued Member
      • May 2011
      • wollongong

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
      Lol I like it, should we call it, the slushamatic, or the "slow boat to china"
      mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• amec
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Wamberal

So true.
        PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• itsamitsi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Hervey Bay Queensland

Yep couldn't have picked a better auto image for the Challenger.
          Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• pajeromack
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • NSW

Good old slush-boxes. Not a 'drivers' transmission for sure, but they'll do the job when you need it so long as the heat is managed.

If you want to see an old transmission that was well past its use-by date, have a look at the old BTR 4 Speed that was used in the Falcons. Lasted from 1989 (EA) - 2010 (BFIII). Could still handle more torque than Mitsubishis crappy 5-speed.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
              Good old slush-boxes. Not a 'drivers' transmission for sure, but they'll do the job when you need it so long as the heat is managed.

If you want to see an old transmission that was well past its use-by date, have a look at the old BTR 4 Speed that was used in the Falcons. Lasted from 1989 (EA) - 2010 (BFIII). Could still handle more torque than Mitsubishis crappy 5-speed.
              I'd agree pm about auto boxes in sporty vehicles. My cousin just bought one of the last XR8 Falcons (supercharged) and had it tricked up off the production line by Harrop. Started telling about the upgrades and the 600+ hp then I cried a little when I saw the auto shifter. Completely lost interest in the car for me, don't even desire to test drive it (although I will if offered )

However a solid well programed auto in a 4wd can be/and is a sweet set up in a 4wd. The 5 speed behind my 4.8 petrol Patrol and the MB 5 speed behind the 2.7 in my Jeep were both brilliant gearboxes that worked exactly as they should and were a pleasure to use, with zero issues. The only glitch with the 4.8 if I can call it that is that you couldn't use cruise in manual mode (till someone worked out how to bypass it)

SR5, that couldn't be a better representation of the fundamental "build sheet" that MM must have used when putting the PB drivetrain package together.

Comment

• Amok
                • Dec 2016
                • Sydney

I used to have an AMG A45, had a fantastic dual clutch dsg style box. It was heaps of fun, but not quite as fun as a real manual.
                MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                  Good old slush-boxes.
                  I had the BA XR6 turbo with that transmission and it was nicely program, only occasionally putting a foot wrong when lifted off to for an upshift. Drive it like you stole it and it performed a treat. Now the rear diff was another matter.

Honestly, it took me less than a kilometre to work out I was not buying an auto Challenger as it upshifted way too soon and sent vibrations through the car. Changed smooth enough, but was programed by, well lets say a MMAL "engineer", probably the same one that designed the rear towbar plug mounting point.

The manual is ok except for the fifth to fourth downshift. You can not bully this change so often if in panic mod will go fifth to third instead. Like many modern cars the Challenger is rather over geared so the manual is not a thing of joy reversing up a steep hill.
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Giddyup
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                    The manual is ok except for the fifth to fourth downshift. You can not bully this change so often if in panic mod will go fifth to third instead. Like many modern cars the Challenger is rather over geared so the manual is not a thing of joy reversing up a steep hill.
                    If you want to improve the shift quality of the manual gearbox, replace the oil with castrol syntrans 75w85. I did 3000km ago and gearbox shifts are noticeably smoother. 5th to 4th seemed fine, but I always found 3rd to 2nd was a bit notchy, particularly when cold (under 10C). The new oil fixed that.
                    MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• DaveHAT
                      • Mar 2016
                      • Newcastle

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post

Comment

• itsamitsi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Hervey Bay Queensland

VMX-M will do that too as it was designed for Mitsubishi.
                        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Giddyup
                          • Oct 2013
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                          VMX-M will do that too as it was designed for Mitsubishi.
                          Had vmx-m in before the syntrans. It was better than the water that was in it from new, but the syntrans is better again.
                          MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X