• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • portunus
    • Oct 2014
    • Adelaide

Top of door rust NW

Hello, I have been a member since I bought the NW secondhand a couple of years ago.I regularly read the forum which is very interesting and informative,thank you.My vehicle is unmodified and suits my current needs well.
    There is surface rust appearing on the top of all four doors, see attached images for right side doors.Searching the forum I see it has been a problem on earlier models https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d.php?p=161288
    Before I take it to MM, has anyone else got this problem with their NW and if so have you had success with a warranty claim ?
    Attached Files
  • Lando
    Valued Member
    • May 2013
    • Lake Maquarie NSW

Hmm i better look at mine this arvo now...mines going in next week for roof rust repairs under warranty
    MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

None on mine. And it's often pretty exposed to salt air down on the Yorke Peninsula.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

The rust in earlier models was in the seam that attached the door rubber. The NW does not have this seam as door rubber is attached by clips. My NT has been repaired twice with one new door negotiated after initial repair failed within 3 months.

Happy times with MM.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• bungalow
          • Jul 2011
          • Adelaide

Rust on my mid-2011 NT model appeared in a similar place on the inner and outer face of the top forward corners of each rear door window frame, there being only a small amount of rust in the groove on the inner face in which the door rubber seated and the front doors (touch wood) remaining unaffected. Only noticed it one day when sun was shining and it became obvious that the surface was no longer flat and smooth.

I was initially worried as the above was only first noticed by me two months or so after my 5 year original new car warranty had expired, but MMAL came to the party without a fuss and repaired the doors.

The warranty claim and repair was only a matter of two months ago and so far so good with the repair. The repair shop seemed confident that the repair would last long-term, so fingers crossed for now. They stated they have seen quite a few Pajeros but also Tritons with similar problems, they believing it to be due to insufficient paint coverage over the top edge of the door frame.

I feel it likely helped with my goodwill warranty claim that I have only just clocked over 60K km in the 5.5 years of ownership, and have always had the car serviced by local dealer. The dealer knew the process to follow straight away as soon as I phoned up to enquire, and after two repair quotes were submitted the claim was accepted by MMAL and the repair done.

Your NW Pajero I assume is still well within the warranty time and km limits and as such I doubt you will have a problem in getting this repaired under warranty. A small comfort I know for a problem which you had a reasonable right to expect not to have arisen.

I hope the above helps.

Bungalow
          Last edited by bungalow; 11-01-17, 10:06 PM.
          2011 NT RX - Pirelli ATR 265/60R18; CSA 18" Stealth rims; MCC bullbar; MMA towbar; Redarc brake controller; Bilstein suspension - standard height; Rear helper airbags; Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards; Bushskinz side steps; Roley's rear bumper guard; Milford cargo barrier; Dual battery system with Redarc BCDC1220 charger and custom distribution box in rear with Xantrex battery monitor; Full MSA seat cover set; MSA seat back organisers; HID headlight upgrade; Cameron Canvas offroad camper

Comment

• rotare
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2007

Had the same with my MY13 NW and it was repaired no questions asked by Mitsi.

A good friend of mine works in the warranty claims department at MMAL and checked my car out personally, since at the point in time (maybe 12 months ago) the only reported issues of rust on door frames was in the NT Pajeros. I was the second owner of the vehicle but it was only two years old and with low kms when I purchased it. The records from the previous owner showed that he lived a street back from an Esplanade, so we assumed sea air / salt spray may have contributed to the rust spots.

I had no rust on the edge of the metal / door frame or behind the rubber, just a few very small spots on the flat surface at the top of the door frame. It was only on one side of the car, on one door. Ordinarily I probably wouldn't have been overly concerned, but since the car was still under warranty I thought I might as well have it repaired.
            2013 NW VRX

Comment

• portunus
              • Oct 2014
              • Adelaide

Thanks for the responses , the vehicle is approaching 5 yrs from purchase and done 81,000km.
              Off to MM dealer this afternoon to see what they say re warranty.

Comment

• Vman
                • Sep 2011
                • Newcastle

Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine tonight. Best to catch anything while still in warranty.
                2012 NW Activ - so much nicer than the old GU Pootrol!

Comment

• portunus
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Adelaide

Happy days local dealer advised MM will repair all four doors,booked in for 2nd week of March.
                  Have been very happy with local dealer.

Comment

• raulitto
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Romania

Old topic, same problem
                    It seems nothing changed (improved) on Mitsubishi's production line, as my 2016 Pajero has the same issue: rust spots on all 4 door frames (but more serious on the rear ones). I will go and address this to local dealer, hoping for a positive feedback from their side. Finger crossed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Uxxo
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Perth

My 2012 NW has a couple of minor rust spots on the roof and on the top of the rear doors. I am considering a DIY repair, I believe the warranty for corrosion is limited to 5 years?

Comment

• godfather
                        • Jun 2019
                        • townsville

just looked at my 2014nw and there is rust in those same spots in the photographs.the problem i have is my warranty ran out in may.will Mitsubishi cover the repairs outside of this period?

Comment

• Pwoffey
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Adelaide

That's a very individual thing. Especially if you have used a dealer to do regular servicing, he should go into bat for you, especially as rust there is a known problem (or at least it was for earlier NT models). Failing friendly negotiations, you might ask your Office of Fair Trading if rust JUST outside the warranty period is a reasonable thing for MMA to fix up.

good luck.
                          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X