• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xab
    • Nov 2016
    • Sydney

Front End Knocking/Clicking noise

Hi all,

Was hoping for some advice on a knocking/clicking noise coming from the front end drivers side of my 2007 Pajero, 3.8 v6, petrol, manual, 144xxxkm on the clock.

The issue does not occur straight away when I start driving, last weekend when I used the car it started to make the knocking noise about 50 minutes to 1 hour of driving (stopping and starting and motorway driving) approx 70km (it has also done this on previous journeys) . It is perfect up until this point.

It is not an overly loud noise but you can easily hear it when in the car driving, It happens when driving anywhere between 0-80kph, it happens when braking and not braking, when acceleration and when coasting, when driving straight or turning and on flat road. All of these times it doesn't seem to get any louder. Basically when the car is moving.

I have been below the car and checked all front end bolts are tight, brakes are in good condition with plenty on the pads, suspension is sound, ball joints sound, steering rack sound, all track rod ends etc appear good. Basically everything looks fine.
    The only thing I did notice was when I grabbed the front drive shafts I can move them side to side horizontally ever so slightly (a few mill at most) and they make a metal to metal sound when I do that, should drive shafts do this?
    I am thinking the issue is driveshaft related and was going to remove the CV boots to ensure there is plenty of grease in there but is there any point in doing that if the gaitors are in perfect condition(no splits, rips etc and no sign of leaked grease)

I'm pretty sure its coming from the front drivers side.

Other things I have read up on and don't think it could be are the brake master cylinder and ABS accumulator (they are on the front right of the car)

Any suggestions as to what it could be would be great.

Thanks Guys
  • GrumpySmurf
    • Apr 2013
    • Perth

I have basically the same model with basically the same noise! The only thing I can add is that it appears to only happen IF the weather is hot - over 30 degrees. The sound can also be heard if stationary and you turn the steering wheel very slightly if it's hot weather.
    Pajero NS Exceed
    Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
      I have basically the same model with basically the same noise! The only thing I can add is that it appears to only happen IF the weather is hot - over 30 degrees. The sound can also be heard if stationary and you turn the steering wheel very slightly if it's hot weather.
      If you can make the noise start by putting pressure on the steering wheel whilst stationary, I wonder if it is the power steer belt or pump? Is the fluid level correct?
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• 1_johnboy
        • Sep 2012
        • Gippsland

I had this issue with mine, could not pin point the issue. So as a last resort I tightened the drive shaft nuts....never heard it again. Could be worth a shot.

Comment

• Xab
          • Nov 2016
          • Sydney

I have checked all my levels and all are ok. Thanks for the replies so far, my car actually never did this during winter so its only happening in warmer weather too. Will check of driveshaft bolts and steering further this weekend hopefully and reply if I find the issue.

Comment

• Xab
            • Nov 2016
            • Sydney

Guys, could a faulty EGR valve sensor cause the problem I'm experiencing? When I turn my ignition on before firing her up it clicks about 10 times then stops.
            Couldn't find anything else other than this when looking at the weekend.

Comment

• DukeNukem
              • Nov 2012
              • Adelaide, SA

I have the exact same issue and have had for about eighteen months. Only ever does it in hot weather.... all winter, never heard a thing. Last week when we had our first few warm days, it was back with a vengeance. Not sure about the EGR sensor - just last week I had a full EGR system/manifold clean out after limping into MTQ... on the drive home, it was 37 degrees and clicked/ticked like a bastard. Drove it last night when it was cooler - nothing.

I'd be keen to see if there are any other suggestions if anyone has any as its bloody annoying...

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

I know this is going to sound silly but hang in there. Check the centre caps on your Mits wheels. Mine were very loose and made ticking noise especially if the window was open and ther was a wall or kerb on that side. I glued mine up with a couple of spots of PVA from the back when I was chasing wheels.
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Amok
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

My new NX has this too. Exactly as you guys described, seems to only occur when the car has been driven for a while or when its a hot day. Sounds like a coathanger tapping on the chassis.
                  NFI what it could be.
                  MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Silverfox
                    • Apr 2010
                    • Adelaide

One thing to check is the underbody bash plate. Its held in place by 4 bolts but there is also a rubber grommits that sit in the bash plate and the bolts pass through the grommit.

What can happen is that the grommit is not sitting in place properly or is gone altogether and the result is the plate vibrates and hits the oil pan or other bits of the underbody.

The grommits provide clearance between the plate and underbody, if they are not in place properly vibration and flexing can create the knocking/taping by the plate.

Happened to me twice.

Cheers
                    Last edited by Silverfox; 28-12-16, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• ShaneSuffolk
                      • Feb 2017
                      • Gold Coast

I had the exact same problem and imeadiatly thought CV joints so I bought 2 new drive shafts ( This was a mission in itself) and replaced them. I thought my problem was solved....

But no, the noise returned after it heated up a bit. I was not happy at all !!!!!
                      So after spending much time thinking and crawling under the car I found it.

It's the rear bush in the RH front upper suspension arm.

The bush is positioned very close to the engine bay and gets very hot and dries out the grease in the bush. After a 40 min drive it was about 60°C at the bush.
                      The noise is transmitted through the suspension arm, down the steering upright and to the thin metal brake disc shield that then vibrates and amplifies the noise like a speaker cone.
                      I squirted some lanolin spray into the bush and the noise has not returned for the last 2 weeks.
                      Eventually I will replace the bush and pivot pin.
                      I will see if I can fit a grease nipple to the washer on the side of the bush.

Just glad I found it. But annoyed I replaced 2 perfectly good driveshafts.

Hope this helps someone else.

Shane

Comment

• Xab
                        • Nov 2016
                        • Sydney

Guys, I found the problem with my Pajero!!! Its was the front right upper ball joint. I replaced the front right upper and no more annoying knocking noise! Decided to replace the front left upper as well for good measure.....

2 Pcs Trupro Upper Ball Joints. 4WD Lift Kit. The ball joint basically serves as the pivot point between the tyre and the suspension. Steering ball joint can be felt by making direction. Car Care & Tools.

To check if your upper ball joints might be the problem grab the top of the wheel and rock it in and out in the direction of the engine bay as hard as you can, if you hear a knocking then more that likely the ball joints are the issue, there should be no knocking noises at all. That's how i found that these were the problem on mine but as 'ShaneSuffolk' pointed out on the post above his was a different issue so may be worth also checking his suggestion if you believe your ball joints are ok.

Thanks for all the previous suggestions. I hope anyone with issues gets it resolved cheaply and easily!!

Comment

• GrumpySmurf
                          • Apr 2013
                          • Perth

I think mine is the same!! Front right top ball joint. Replaced both sides at $55 each for parts and 1.5 hours labour.

Originally posted by Xab View Post
                          Guys, I found the problem with my Pajero!!! Its was the front right upper ball joint. I replaced the front right upper and no more annoying knocking noise! Decided to replace the front left upper as well for good measure.....

2 Pcs Trupro Upper Ball Joints. 4WD Lift Kit. The ball joint basically serves as the pivot point between the tyre and the suspension. Steering ball joint can be felt by making direction. Car Care & Tools.

To check if your upper ball joints might be the problem grab the top of the wheel and rock it in and out in the direction of the engine bay as hard as you can, if you hear a knocking then more that likely the ball joints are the issue, there should be no knocking noises at all. That's how i found that these were the problem on mine but as 'ShaneSuffolk' pointed out on the post above his was a different issue so may be worth also checking his suggestion if you believe your ball joints are ok.

Thanks for all the previous suggestions. I hope anyone with issues gets it resolved cheaply and easily!!
                          Pajero NS Exceed
                          Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Comment

• gaz1
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Blue Mountains NSW

My NT 3.8V6 has developed a knock that seems to come from the right hand front area (ahead of the driver). It is roughly timed for once per wheel revolution, I guess and is most noticeable at about 10 km/hr. Putting my foot gently on the brake pedal will stop the noise, returns when the brake is released, and it also seems to disappear around 40 km/hr and above. It happens either in 2WD or 4WD/H - I haven't tried it with centre diff locked or in low range. It's become more noticeable in the past month or so, I first heard it probably six months ago but it seems to come and go. New discs and pads fittted all wheels about a year ago. I'm travelling with my van at present (bitumen travel) so can't get it easily onto a hoist or to a known mechanic, but will be home tomorrow and it's definitely getting more easily detected the past few days.
                            Any ideas?
                            Gaz
                            2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• matcs
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Blue Mountains

Old post but relevant..
                              Exact same thing with my 07 NS Pajero exceed diesel auto.
                              when ambient temperature was at 34-36c knocking, tapping, dull clunking, flap knock sound idling with AC on & when driving. Sound moved to opposite side I am turning & in centre area too.
                              Brake on/off at a stop (creeping forward on/off) causes it to
                              knock & rattle louder but after driving a air cooling things it goes away.
                              This is something to do with brakes on mine I believe because pedal isn’t holding firm when pressed… spongy it moves side to side like abs valves knock on lines but trying to get pressure back up.
                              Easy to think it’s something else since it sure doesn’t sound like it’s coming from hbb.
                              Anyone experienced this & found it’s the hydraulic brake booster or part of the brake system??

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X