Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

[QUOTE=littleriver;501863]
    Originally posted by Jas2909 View Post

X2

You will find a few doubters on here ... they seem to put in a lot of negative input towards tunes .. as others have also mentioned you get what you pay for - beware those companies that won't give warranty with their tunes ...

I think the biggest issue is with the "trust" of the accuracy of the before and after dyno charts and the "accepted fact" the these graphs can be fudged.

Power and torque graphs given by the vehicle manufacturer are always measured at the engine fly wheel and not the rear wheels. There will be always a significant difference in the 2 results, power will be down at the rear wheels due to extra load of the driveline, 25% to 35% is not uncommon for manual transmissions and up to 40% for automatics depending on the torque convertor and if it is even locked up and stays locked up during the dyno test. Torque will most times be much greater due to the multiplication effect of the driveline and what gear the test is conducted in. Do the test in 3rd and the torque is a massive improvement over factory numbers, do the dyno test in 4th and the torque numbers will be less. A reputable dyno graph will state what gear the test was done in and what the vehicle speed and engine RPM's were. What you are really looking at is a percentage improvement between the before and after tests and not raw numbers and that the test were conducted under the same conditions and methods.

An ECU tune or chip can increase both power and torque and in a 4wd you are looking for all the gains at the low and mid rpm ranges as this is where the engines are mostly operated and where the biggest improvement in drivability can be felt and appreciated. A tune done properly will give you these results, whether it is worth it is up to the individuals needs and expectations. Push the the tune too hard and you start to sacrafice engine and driveline reliability and longevity.

cheers, OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

[QUOTE=old Jack;501876]
      Originally posted by littleriver View Post

I think the biggest issue is with the "trust" of the accuracy of the before and after dyno charts and the "accepted fact" the these graphs can be fudged.

Power and torque graphs given by the vehicle manufacturer are always measured at the engine fly wheel and not the rear wheels. There will be always a significant difference in the 2 results, power will be down at the rear wheels due to extra load of the driveline, 25% to 35% is not uncommon for manual transmissions and up to 40% for automatics depending on the torque convertor and if it is even locked up and stays locked up during the dyno test. Torque will most times be much greater due to the multiplication effect of the driveline and what gear the test is conducted in. Do the test in 3rd and the torque is a massive improvement over factory numbers, do the dyno test in 4th and the torque numbers will be less. A reputable dyno graph will state what gear the test was done in and what the vehicle speed and engine RPM's were. What you are really looking at is a percentage improvement between the before and after tests and not raw numbers and that the test were conducted under the same conditions and methods.

An ECU tune or chip can increase both power and torque and in a 4wd you are looking for all the gains at the low and mid rpm ranges as this is where the engines are mostly operated and where the biggest improvement in drivability can be felt and appreciated. A tune done properly will give you these results, whether it is worth it is up to the individuals needs and expectations. Push the the tune too hard and you start to sacrafice engine and driveline reliability and longevity.

cheers, OJ.
      X2

Well said OJ ...

Also like to add due to conditions on the day vehicles may have 《》stats, no 2 vehicles will have the exact same results .. try not to chase HP but gains before and after tune ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jas2909
        • Feb 2016
        • Penrith NSW

Yep that's right, tuners going for max horsepower up top are hopeless, low to midrange is where it is at! Exactly where this tune is done, low and mid.

Also the tuner gives a lifetime warranty on their work which in itself says something!

Comment

• Jas2909
          • Feb 2016
          • Penrith NSW

Originally posted by littleriver
          just seen this on the tube PS MRT tune ... very impressive

Yep that's mine hehe, there is also a rad test video to come

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
            • Apr 2015
            • Jamisontown NSW

Also the tuner gives a lifetime warranty on their work which in itself says something!

Explain "lifetime" Is it the life of the tune? Is it your lifetime. Is it the lifetime of the vehicle.

It isn't the "warranty" on the tune that is the concern. It is the warranty on the rest of the vehicle, being the drive train. MMA would want nothing to do with you.

Vehicles are mass produced and come with faults as we read here all to often. By having 25% increase in HP, 30% increase in torque is putting strain on the system.

I can't see any tune company paying out for a new motor or a $10,000 gearbox overhaul.

But, hey. It's your vehicle, your money and your decision.

I am happy with my NS. It does everything I want. No chip, no ECU remap, no extra stress on the motor or drive train.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
              • Dec 2015
              • W.A

Yep that's mine hehe, there is also a rad test video to come
              Brilliant . interesting info.
              Last edited by sandgroper 123; 16-12-16, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Jeffwatkins View Post
                Explain "lifetime" Is it the life of the tune? Is it your lifetime. Is it the lifetime of the vehicle.

It isn't the "warranty" on the tune that is the concern. It is the warranty on the rest of the vehicle, being the drive train. MMA would want nothing to do with you.

Vehicles are mass produced and come with faults as we read here all to often. By having 25% increase in HP, 30% increase in torque is putting strain on the system.

I can't see any tune company paying out for a new motor or a $10,000 gearbox overhaul.

But, hey. It's your vehicle, your money and your decision.

I am happy with my NS. It does everything I want. No chip, no ECU remap, no extra stress on the motor or drive train.
                watch the video again Jeffwatkins https://youtu.be/BcM-vqKIuFI

- it is clearly mentioned MRT covers these warranties as do other reputable tune shops

there are several dealerships that use these companies also for tunes ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Jamisontown NSW

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                  watch the video again Jeffwatkins https://youtu.be/BcM-vqKIuFI

- it is clearly mentioned MRT covers these warranties,

there are several dealerships that use these companies also for tunes ...

Yep, as clearly as Coopers cover their tyres, the aftermaket bought warranties on used cars and the electronic rust prevention companies cover theirs.

If the dealers do it would be great to hear how they explain any drama they may have to MMA.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                    • Dec 2015
                    • W.A

Yep, as clearly as Coopers cover their tyres, the aftermaket bought warranties on used cars and the electronic rust prevention companies cover theirs.

If the dealers do it would be great to hear how they explain any drama they may have to MMA.
                    ?
                    Last edited by sandgroper 123; 16-12-16, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
                      • Apr 2015
                      • Jamisontown NSW

Originally posted by sandgroper 123 View Post
                      ?

Nah. We have someone that has been around a bit.

I will leave you all to stroke each other. I am sure you will get enjoyment from it.

Comment

• Jas2909
                        • Feb 2016
                        • Penrith NSW

I will leave you all to stroke each other. I am sure you will get enjoyment from it.
                        Do you ever stop complaining or trying to prove a useless point Jeff?? Perhaps stick to the NS forum mate and leave people like us who are OPEN minded enjoy ourselves....hurry along now.

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Do you ever stop complaining or trying to prove a useless point Jeff?? Perhaps stick to the NS forum mate and leave people like us who are OPEN minded enjoy ourselves....hurry along now.
                          well said

Comment

• Poita
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Adelaide

I would have zero hassles having a car of mine tuned and have done so in the past with very large gains. I had to put a HD clutch in though as the factory one gave up.

It's not just what the drive train can handle, it's a large amount to do with emissions.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
                            NW VRX MY2013
                            Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

Originally posted by Poita View Post
                              I would have zero hassles having a car of mine tuned and have done so in the past with very large gains. I had to put a HD clutch in though as the factory one gave up.

It's not just what the drive train can handle, it's a large amount to do with emissions.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
                              The tuners these days keep the CO levels within the guide lines and are very particular in specific regulations (as they too may cop the full force of the law) ...

Comment

• Boomer21
                                • May 2015
                                • Brisbane, Australia

Mr Wattkins rarely has any thing informative to say. Guess we just have to live with his little inuendo's and with him lurking on a forum he has nothing in common with.

Unless the mods would be gracious enough to restrict him to the pajero 'only' forums, That would be nice.
                                MY15 White LS Challenger ... MMA Towbar, Roo systems exhaust and ECU touring tune, Whisbar racks and .............

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X