• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d.i.wirtz
    • Oct 2012
    • Brisbane QLD

Oil Sump?

Originally posted by Wazza430 View Post
    Have you done anything to protect the alloy sump? Salt water or even just mud dont mix with the alloy sumps. Had 5 V8's with holes in the sump in 1 month here in the mine. 3 utes with axles protruding out in 1 week ( could be due to the difference in front to rear wheel track). All the vehicles are governed to 30k/hr. There are a few Ford Rangers here but they apparently having issues as well.

Hope your build is coming along nicely.
    Hi Wazza
    I have never heard of this on any forum or from any other owners. I am not sure how salt or mud could affect the structural integrity of a sump unless it is struck. The only other possibility I could think of is very extreme conditions and very poor maintenance.
    Case in point - All For Adventure - are not exactly easy on their vehicles and the only thing Jason has ever advised of braking was the axles.
    If you do know how this has happened or what the cause is it would be great to know as the only under-body protection my vehicle is getting is front and rear pumpkin guards and front under radiator & steering protection.
    Last edited by d.i.wirtz; 20-03-17, 10:39 PM. Reason: wording
    2015 Landcruiser VDJ79R Dual Cab

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
      • Oct 2012
      • Brisbane QLD

Landcruiser VDJ79R Dual-cab build

Well here is some more mods. But before I show and explain them I would like to share something with everyone that may have one of these or is thinking about purchasing one of these.
      The early series had a number of issues, that by in large were fixed with the exception of the gearing, clutch and the obvious wheel track. In 2017 Toyota released the next generation and they made some major changes again. This time they fixed the gearing issue by changing the ration for the 5th gear, they changed the injectors to be more fuel efficient they fitted enough airbags to get a 5 star ANCAP on the single cab ONLY and then they fitted a DPF (bush fire starter) for emissions and cruise control for the long trips. That is about it....or is there something else. The bonnet....yes the bonnet. Now I have read and listened to a number of persons some claiming to be experts claiming that the changes to the bonnet are for safety.
      Safety... I don't think so. I do agree with the so called experts that the redesign cost of this new bonnet would have been astronomical but I doubt it very much has anything to do with safety. Here is the reason why. Safety of bonnets is directly related to pedestrian strikes thus making logical sense to have a uniform low profile to allow bodies to pass cleanly over the bonnet and windshield without snags or high profiles acting like a wall. The old bonnet fitted this description perfectly. Have a look at the photo and judge for yourself. The new bonnet on the other hand is twice the profile height and has a vertical air intake twice the height of the previous bonnet that was considerably shallower and racked back. So why the new bonnet then. Well it can only be for one reason...... MORE AIR INTO THE INTER COOLER. Judge for yourself the only thing not in the photos is the intake but i think you will get the general idea.
      So what is it that Toyota does not want people to know.
      Is the motor getting to hot?
      Is the inter cooler insufficient? or
      Is the air intake simply to shallow and due to the original bonnet design defusing the path of air in such a way that it cannot do its job. I think so.
      So guess what I did buy a 2017 bonnet and it fits. The bonus is that I now have enough room for a bigger inter cooler and even a couple of fans under it for low speed.
      Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
        • Oct 2012
        • Brisbane QLD

I maybe a little old school it this regard but I have always liked the sun-visors fitted to the old cruisers. They are great especially if you are 6ft plus and the traditional internal sun-visors cut your vision. The added bonus is that when you have light bars on the roof it will cut down on the glare across the bonnet.
        It is a simple install and I don't think that it looks all that bad.
        Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
          • Oct 2012
          • Brisbane QLD

Roof rack and more.
          I again chose the Rhino rack as I did with the Pajero. I like the versatility, durability and the accessories available.
          In the pictures below you can see some of the accessories I also purchased and some that I made.
          The shovel and high-lift jack holder is a great addition with the exception that when it is assembled as it should be it is very high. This is why I separated the shovel holder and fitted it on the awning side to limit the vehicle height to 2.4mtrs. The TRED holder I originally designed several years ago when the first were released on the market to use on the Pajero Rhino rack. The islets allow me to tie items to the roof or carry firewood.
          I also managed to fit the light bar under the Rhino rack. But rather than fitting it to the platform I fitted it to the gutter brackets making it a more solid fit.
          Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
            • Oct 2012
            • Brisbane QLD

More pics for the TRED locating bracket. Simple but effective. It did survive the cape.
            Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
              • Oct 2012
              • Brisbane QLD

The awning on the vehicle is only 1.4mtrs X 2.0mtrs as the canopy lid opens as a hard lid awning and at this time I have some very cool plans for what is going to be bolted to the roof rails on the canopy.
              Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                • Oct 2012
                • Brisbane QLD

The second tank needed to be guarded as during the first outing the mud coated the filler.
                The mudguards also needed a little more protection from the front wheel debris. Well more than paint anyway.
                The primary tank filling location as is usual with Toyota is 4 inches under the tray at an unusable angle and in the middle. Thus this also needed relocating. As with the opposite side this side will also have a under tray box fitted now the fuel inlet has been relocated.
                Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                  • Oct 2012
                  • Brisbane QLD

Now for the interior of the canopy.
                  The design of this vehicle is to serve a purpose. I buy and build my 4WD's to use as they are intended. Going places that 2WD's will not. Exploring OZ often means going remote. As such this vehicle need to be able to sustain us. The design has to be fluid, light and functional. I do tow a off road camper that has everything you could possibly need including, hot & cold water, fridge & freezer, and so on. But what happens when I go away on my own? do I really want to tow a camper when it is only me? or what if we set up camp but want to go a little further than a camper permits?
                  Well this is were this truck comes into play. The canopy has to double as a camper of sorts.
                  First I needed to find a strong and light weight material that ideally would also have some insulation properties. This is were I found bonded aluminium & polymer panels also known as Econo Panel. The material is a aluminium, polymer, aluminum layered sheet that has all of the qualities I was looking for. It does come in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and from varying manufactures. I opted for the 3mm gloss white in 1200mmX2400mm sheets. It is easily cut using a jig saw. As you can see in my canopy I had plenty of ribs that I could rivet & glue the panels to.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Brisbane QLD

The interior of the canopy needed to be divided to allow for a storage compartment as well as a hygienic living and food prep area. It has to support cooking, refrigeration, water, storage and sensitive electrical equipment as well as batteries.
                    To make things a little easier I started to look around to find light weight drawers, fridge slide and cooking implements. First I divided the compartment and then insulated the exterior walls before fitting the panels. I should also mention that I ran all wiring that needed to go into the canopy prior to make it a little easier.
                    I purchased a 4 drawer unit that will hold up to 50kg per draw for storage.
                    I purchased a drop down fridge slide for ease of access for the vertically challenged.
                    and
                    I purchased a Marine grade cooker, BBQ and oven.
                    The rest i build with the help of a very good friend.
                    On the passenger side of the canopy will be the main living area and also all of the main power appliances, chargers and switches. In the case visible in the second photo two rows of rocker ARB style rocker switches will be fitted to control lighting, water, etc. By fitting them in these 240V fuse boxes the switches should be protected from accidental activation.
                    The glossy surface is very easy to clean and due to being aluminium it is hard wearing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Brisbane QLD

Some photos of the partial completion.
                      A couple of things worth noting is that the BBQ, Cooker/Oven does slide out.
                      The water tap, filter and hoses are located in the under-tray box fed from a 80lt water tank under the tray.
                      Shelves and a couple more surprises are still to come and I will show them as I design and build them.
                      As the fridge slide is considerably larger than the fridge I currently have fitted I decided to make a little table in front to support the beer while I try and find things to eat in the fridge.....
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by d.i.wirtz; 21-03-17, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X