X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotare
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

I brought the kit off the link below and removed my EGR valve today. No dramas whatsoever fitting it to my NP and definately recommend this kit to others. For around $20 delivered it doesnt get much cheaper IMO

When I took the EGR valve off, I stuck my finger inside the inlet manifold and could feel about a 1mm thick black sticky build up inside my manifold. It wasn't dry like some pictures I've seen on the net, more like the consistency of heavy bearing grease. It felt like there was definately more towards the throttle body. No doubt there is some oil that passes through the turbo, and when combined with the soot from the exhaust gases entering the manifold from the EGR, causes the residual build up. I reckon over time it will clear itself, but when I get a free weekend I might get motivated to remove the throttle body and wipe out as much of the inside of the manifold that I can reach.
    2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Gert
      • May 2011
      • Pretoria, South Africa

What do you guys think of THIS method to blank off the EGR?

Comment

• AJC
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • ACT

Originally posted by Gert View Post
        What do you guys think of THIS method to blank off the EGR?
        Doesn't sound right to me..that's just blanking the EGR sensor / vacum...it may stop the operation of the EGR, i don't know. A proper EGR blank like the link in this post does that as well as at the exhaust and at the EGR / throttle body connection
        Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Ohlins
          • Sep 2010
          • SW French Pyrenees

My EGR has been blanked off by a previous owner(see picture)with a simple alloy plate and no instant gasket etc...going by the previous threads can any one take a picture please as to where a second plate is installed?

[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by Ohlins; 01-06-11, 04:04 AM.
          DiD3.2 275,000kms
          Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
          Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré Injection 75,000kms

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Cairns

Originally posted by Ohlins View Post
            My EGR has been blanked off by a previous owner(see picture)with a simple alloy plate and no instant gasket etc...going by the previous threads can any one take a picture please as to where a second plate is installed?

http://i56.tinypic.com/szeuzl.jpg
            No need for a second plate at all. What has been done to your car to block the EGR is perfectly adequate.
            Sure, there is no gasket but from the look of the picture, you don't have any exhaust gases leaking out (you would see a mess of black soot) so I would just leave it alone.
            Cheers, Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Ohlins
              • Sep 2010
              • SW French Pyrenees

Thanks for that Dan...yip...no soot apparent at all....what I did notice too was that the EGR valve plug was just simply disconnected..no dash lights so happy enough with that

NB.When I called in at the local stealers they updated me(free of charge,due to factory re call) a new dipstick..shorter that my previous one allowing more oil into the sump...updated ones have a green dot painted on them for info.

[IMG][/IMG]
              Last edited by Ohlins; 01-06-11, 04:13 AM.
              DiD3.2 275,000kms
              Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Cairns

Now that is interesting..... I thought that the EGR valve on our Australian Spec DiD's was vacuum actuated? Perhaps there are some slight differences depending on which market these engines were destined for?
                Will have to take another look at mine one day soon!
                Cheers, Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Ohlins
                  • Sep 2010
                  • SW French Pyrenees

mmm...I must admit I was a bit confused by a previous post and a golf tee

DiD3.2 275,000kms
                  Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins

Comment

• Richy
                    • Jan 2010

I bought one of those kits off ebay to block the egr on my 2003 3.2. Top man BTW.

Fitted today and did as per you vehicle Ohlins. Undid the egr pipe at the egr gas cooler (on right hand side and as per Ohlins photos) and popped the blanking plate in. I then simply disconnected the egr electric control plug. There is mention of a vacuum pipe and the kit includes a rubber tube to block it but cannot find any vacuum pipe connected to the egr. I presume there are different EGR models. My vehicle is a 2003 manual and a UK Shogun.

Anyway, no probs as yet. I've not bothered removing the egr valve altogether as may as well stop where it is. Nothing to be gained from it's complete removal though of course exhaust gas can't be sucked back into the engine Should an engine management light come on or I have other problems then it's not to much of a job to put back to standard.

Ohlins - I read elsewhere you have extended the rocker cover breather into your inner wing? Is there much of an oil slick developing in there? I'm considering an oil catch can though not convinced the cheaper coca-cola type cans on ebay with a simple inlet and outlet will intercept much oil vapor? Anyone who has fitted one have any comments?

Comment

• Ohlins
                      • Sep 2010
                      • SW French Pyrenees

Hi Richy...

Yip...our European models do seem to have an electronic valve instead of a vacuum actuated one...any way....

.....I'd really recommend you block the rocker breather tube...my inlet hose had oily gloop from where the breather entered....really thick gunge which of course would'nt be good entering the turbo...(By coincidence my buddy's 300tdi,when I took his off and put my finger into his turbo...all I got back was a sticky oily mess on my finger)

So...all this to say....

...I joined two old 300tdi top heater pipe hoses(the ones that go to the matrix from the top of the engine)...I joined these together with a short length of copper pipe and routed it to the inside wing(via a zip ty to an existing bracket)...they match the diameter of the rocker cover outlet....to date only a slight 'colour' of oil and no oil liquid in the wing well (at the bulkhead)...I guess any other vapour gets blown out as I drive along....

I have my 300tdi the same

I'd try this first instead of going for the hassle of a catch can ?

PS Those pipes can be got for a few quid each via paddockspares.co.uk if need be

PPS I have done 2000kms since,including a 4 hr autoroute drive at 130km/h and still no oil liquid

Last edited by Ohlins; 22-06-11, 06:14 AM.
                      DiD3.2 275,000kms
                      Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins

Comment

• Richy
                        • Jan 2010

I blew a can of '10K Boost' into the inlet pipe to turbo with engine running. Some say it does a good job of clearing through the intercooler and beyond. Not convinced myself but thought it was worth a try?

As for routing the breather away from engine and venting to atmosphere then as you say the simplest idea. Not sure it's legal though no doubt interfering with the egr valve isn't either? As a matter of fact both my tractors, one 20 year old and one 2 year old both vent their breathers straight to atmosphere. Mind you a city full of vehicles all venting their breathers straight out may not be the best thing for air quality?

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by Ohlins View Post
                          mmm...I must admit I was a bit confused by a previous post and a golf tee

Jip. That was me. I'm from South Africa and mine works via vacuum so I simply pulled the vacuum pipe and plugged it with a golf tee.

I have since removed the whole thing. and blanked it with steel plates.

I tried to just block the vacuum system that activates the EGR valve but it was still smoking at idle and having a rough idle at times. I suspected it was the EGR still being funny and after the delete set out below my idle smoke and rough running is..

1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                          2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                          2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                          2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Ohlins
                            • Sep 2010
                            • SW French Pyrenees

Thanks for that Pikanini...and I don't even play golf.....

Richy...I'd say a can will not do any help at all going by the heavy gloop that was in my inlet pipe...I actually had to take mine off and rinse it in petrol to dissolve that gloop...I would'nt be on for that getting sucked through my turbo...Just say'in like..

As an aside...I periodically take my 300tdi intercooler out and rinse it in petrol to clean it too.....I always get oily liquid out so based on that I could'nt see the product doing too much good either...

Interesting to hear about your tractor set up too...at the end of the day...Id rather save my engine with it running clean...until the government clean up their act I suggest they don't try and tell me what to do relative to my car that I saved my money for...I'd say one tank starting up on a cold morning will put out more filth than my 4x4 will in its lifetime....or one jet...or one warship....helicopter....etc etc etc...

By the by,in the 6 yrs Ive had my 300tdi,it's passed every French 'MOT' with the EGR blanked off...

DiD3.2 275,000kms
                            Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins

Comment

• psproule
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Googong, NSW

I'd be a little wary of removing the whole pipe in Aus. The cops and RTA inspectors are fairly well trained in common illegal modifications to look for. If you simply replace the gasket with a tidy factory looking plate then no-one is the wiser except perhaps if the dealer interrogates the ECU (it calculates and notes the amount of actual EGR flow - i've seen the display), or when they remove the plate to do the valve clearances. There have been a few recent 4WD modification blitzes too in SA and VIC.

Pat
                              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Bitsamissin
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Melbourne

I recently got the Ebay kit.
                                I only blanked it off where it exits the cooler and left everything else as is - you would be hard pressed to suss out the blanking plate almost looks factory.
                                Noticed a smoother idle and perhaps a tad more repsonsive throughout the rev range but no change to outright power or economy as far as I can tell.
                                Mines done 63,000K's and there was quite a bit of gunk in the EGR valve but it was still working ok hopefully the inlet manifold etc will slowly clean itself out now. A good mod even if it just stops oil contamination.
                                NP Clacker Jabber

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X