• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abutler
    • Jan 2017
    • Perth

Possible NW purchase

Hi guys, new to the club, considering buying a NW Pajero as my first 4WD. I thought where else would be better to get info than a place like this!!

It has 90,000 kms approx. Are there any things I should watch out for, common issues, recalls etc. Any help/advise would be much appreciated. Cheers
  • Russell T
    • Jun 2014
    • Bunbury WA

Hi abutler. Other than the stock suspension being to soft for tourer/tow vehicle there are no mechanical issues that I am aware of. Not sure of your intended use but be aware of the restricted towing and ball weight capabilities. Make sure you do your homework if you intend to tow an off road caravan greater than about 17/18 foot.
    Cheers, Russell

2014 VRX ARB deluxe bar 17 inch BFGs, Redarc BCDC charger dual batteries, Blue Tounge compressor, Boosbashplates, traction control mod, LRA aux tank, HD Lovell springs Bilstein shocks

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

The NW is a very fine example of the Pajero line. No diesel particulate filter to worry about , no special problems with rust, no other consistent mechanical/electrical reports that I am aware of. There have been some recalls under warranty for a few items that you should check have been done (indicator switches and timing chain tensioner are two that I remember); there are threads on the Forum about them or any Mitsi dealer will have a list.

Of course you can always be ambushed by the occasional lemon. You will want to do your due diligence and get an auto club or experienced 4WD mechanic to do a pre-purchase check, especially if it's a private sale with no dealer warranty. You will want to see the service history and try and find what the Paj has been used for. There is nothing wrong with the car being used on outback roads towing as opposed to soccer mum duties, but the service history should reflect the harder use in terms of intermediate oil changes, air filters, fuel filters etc. The mods on the car should also reflect usage - hopefully better than OEM tyres and suspension will be fitted for harder usage. BTW, apart from anything else, check that the plastic battery tray is OK, they have a tendency to come apart at the eyelets for the two steel supporting rods if the car has been subjected to travel over corrugations.

Good luck with your purchase
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Chainsaw
        • Oct 2016
        • Sunshine Coast Aust

Make sure you get with it the "Navigation Map Disc" When I purchased mine recently from a Mitsy dealer ($29K and 90K Kms) without all the goodies (I think was a mum's taxi) It didn't have the disc. Salesman had to order one from Mitsubishi. I was told if battery is disconnected you have to reload the maps. All the best a great choice. Search the thread for EGR delete,

Comment

• Vman
          • Sep 2011
          • Newcastle

I just purchased an NW with just over 100,000km. My research suggested to check the 90,000km service has been done if around that mark as it is an expensive one. This is service is a good negotiating tool with the seller if it has not been completed. If buying from a dealer I would try and get it done as part of the deal.

If you plan on towing and buying through a Mitsubishi dealer I would try and get them to throw in a spare wheel lift (bracket is a factory part) - I didn't know this at the time. It's only $150 or so to buy but saves having to do yourself and makes you feel like you have bargained something else into the deal lol.

By the way I love the new buy. Just did a trip from Newcastle to Brisbane and surrounds over the Xmas break and it performed effortlessly. Could do with a lift and decent tyres for some true off road work but certainly comfortable and excellent on fuel. We were averaging around 9l per 100 on the highway and best of all kept up with traffic!! Something the old Patrol and previous NJ struggled to do without gobbling copious amounts of fuel...

In my mind just check to ensure all the services are stamped in the book and up to date. Have a good look around and ensure it hasn't had a hard life (not many I saw had) and be happy knowing you are buying a vehicle with very little issues. Mine is an Active so came with a few thrills plus original buyer optioned up with an ARB steel bull bar. The only thing it is missing which I would have preferred is a rear diff lock.
          2012 NW Activ - so much nicer than the old GU Pootrol!

Comment

• Vman
            • Sep 2011
            • Newcastle

Originally posted by Chainsaw View Post
            Make sure you get with it the "Navigation Map Disc" When I purchased mine recently from a Mitsy dealer ($29K and 90K Kms) without all the goodies (I think was a mum's taxi) It didn't have the disc. Salesman had to order one from Mitsubishi. I was told if battery is disconnected you have to reload the maps. All the best a great choice. Search the thread for EGR delete,
            Yes concur with this. The MMCS on mine was not working when I test drove due to the disk missing. Dealer ordered it in but had to wait a few days.
            2012 NW Activ - so much nicer than the old GU Pootrol!

Comment

• Mickj
              • Mar 2015
              • Mandurah

Just check the rear door gas strut can be suspect
              2012 white platinum nw ,arb deluxe colour coded bar,lift kit, at duellers,bush skins

Comment

• Wilson1
                • Sep 2014
                • Brisbane

Do it, great car probably one of the best i have owned for the price.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X