• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Techni Dry Ice Packs and Ice Box

I have used these Dry Ice Packs and the compact 12ltr Ice Box from Techni now for over 10 years..
    There are many compact and cheaper ice boxes on the market but the Techni compact Ice Box..is stands head and shoulders above the lot of them..they are just that much better.
    Why?
    Well for 8 years my compact ice box travelled in the back tray of my work ute...through all kinds of weather, wind heavy rain, and dust and did not leak once, nor did it get a cracked casing from all the landscaping equipment pushing up against it during its travels to jobs...what's more I have not replenished the seal in the top of the lid and the Ice box is as good as the first day I bought it.
    The Ice Box maintains a decent cool temp with an ice pack put in from 7am in the morning to the end of work
    It is also bloody tough...I have used it to carry food and drink to a few Bluesfest festivals, where myself and my better half have taken turns to use the icebox as a seat and a stand to see the artists over the top of the crowd.
    It was solid as a rock..no cracking of the lid inside or out..
    The Dry Ice Packs..these are worth their weight in gold...very simple to use...put the sheet in warm water and they expand.
    When the expansion has finished, then put them in the freezer...I use them in the Ice Box...perfect fit and use them in the bottom of the 12v Bushman fridge...helps with lessening the fridge cycling and hence less power draw on the deep cycle battery.
  • Turorit
    • Oct 2016
    • Adelaide

Peterng, do you find that the Ice Packs go slimy as they thaw?
    I generally put them in a big freezer ziplock bag before putting in the esky/fridge, otherwise everything comes out slimy.

On the topic of Techni Ice, I bought a 40L 'icel box' years ago but found it incredibly frustrating that I couldn't close the lid with a 2L bottle of coke standing up.

They do seal quite well however. I left it for 6 months after a camping trip and had forgotten to unpack it. I had a nasty surprise when I opened the lid to find some burger patties... I've never been able to get the smell out.
    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Peterng
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2013
      • Northern Rivers NSW

Bugga...
      The techi ice packs generally I have noticed can get slimy when they have thawed out...but I wash the slim off with some cold water and no problems with them there after..
      What is great about them..is that I cut them to size to fit into my 12v compressor fridge..before I put them into water to inflate them..
      When the water inflation is done..I put them in the freezer and get them out for the camping fridge when we head off camping...they keep the camping fridge cool and limit the "cool cycling"...which leads to economical use of the deep cycle batteries in the camper...
      I have had the techi sheets last about 5 days before the cells start to get a bit soft..if I'm in a caravan park..over to the camp kitchen and into the freezer they go for about 3 hours to refreeze them again..
      In respect to the 2 ltr bottles of coke in the 40ltr esky..and a problem with the lid closing...then you may revert to the "Jaws Rule"..."you need a bigger esky"..or smaller coke bottles..
      Also I have put them in boiling water when 4wd tour camping to heat them up..I dry them off and put them in the sleeping bag...sort of a pre heater when camping in the cool areas of NSW..

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Watch the lids on the Techni Ice Esky's & kids fingers, or adults for that matter, heavy lids & just like A guillotine.

Strong enough esky though. Dunoo bout Ice packs.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

I,ve a 60 litre techni ice esky. Top of the range one and find it an excellent fridge for the tinny in our hot weather up North. I also use the ice packs as Peter does and find they help tremendously with keeping other ice for longer in the esky. Definately the best non motorised esky I,ve ever had...including evakool and others.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            I,ve a 60 litre techni ice esky. Top of the range one and find it an excellent fridge for the tinny in our hot weather up North. I also use the ice packs as Peter does and find they help tremendously with keeping other ice for longer in the esky. Definately the best non motorised esky I,ve ever had...including evakool and others.
            Had one for more than 10 years 60 litre was well priced & had not an issue.
            Great Esky
            But yeah wary of me kids & fingers, take little fingers straight off I reckon.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X