• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gigi34
    • Oct 2018
    • Melbourne

Moving to Pajero, please help!

Hey Guys,

After much looking around, I have decided to go with the Pajero (long battle against the Prado).
    I have a budget of $40k and looking at 2015/2016.

Is there any particular model I should stay away from?
    Anything in particular I should check as I aa buying from a private probably.

Also I read around the Pajero will probably be discontinued in favour of the sport. Is this a rumour or true?

Thanks you all
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Pajeros after about Sept 2016 had a DPF added but the models immediately before that didn't (e'g a 2015 NX has no DPF). I'd be looking for one without.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Who knows when the Pajero will be discontinued, its been inevitable for years if you believe everything you read. As advised earlier, I’d be looking at models without DPF, even if that means a very low km NW in top spec model..
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• gigi34
        • Oct 2018
        • Melbourne

Thanks guys, I had no idea about about the DPF issue. Just done a bit if research and it looks like it has been introduced on all the models after oct 16. I am looking to buy a MY16 exceed NX manufactured in 03/2016. Is there any chance to check? Where can I find if it has DPF installed or not?

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

It's worth noting that the NX with DPF doesn't seem to have any particular issues as reported by users. Nothing like when one was introduced in the NS all those years ago. But buying an NX pre DPF will mean no regens or burnoffs, and possibly no expensive replacement a long way down the track. I can tell you that an NW / NX up to at least mid 2017 build does not have one. I think it was introduced for MY18. I'll try and get you a pic of the downpipe and cat on my MY17 NX (without DPF). You could compare that to any that you checkout.

$40k should buy you a nice slightly used example. Be aware that there will be some ex-cop ones around. Some say they are a good buy with a few nice accessories, but others will note the holes in various places, ripped out cabling and sometimes damage to the tops of the doors where the roof accessories were run. They are a solid if dated bus. The 4M41 motor is bulletproof.

Pat
          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by psproule View Post
            I can tell you that an NW / NX up to at least mid 2017 build does not have one. I think it was introduced for MY18.
            Pat
            That's not the information we've been seeing on here. Late 2016 was the introduction of the new DPF from all accounts.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• gigi34
              • Oct 2018
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by psproule View Post
              It's worth noting that the NX with DPF doesn't seem to have any particular issues as reported by users. Nothing like when one was introduced in the NS all those years ago. But buying an NX pre DPF will mean no regens or burnoffs, and possibly no expensive replacement a long way down the track. I can tell you that an NW / NX up to at least mid 2017 build does not have one. I think it was introduced for MY18. I'll try and get you a pic of the downpipe and cat on my MY17 NX (without DPF). You could compare that to any that you checkout.

$40k should buy you a nice slightly used example. Be aware that there will be some ex-cop ones around. Some say they are a good buy with a few nice accessories, but others will note the holes in various places, ripped out cabling and sometimes damage to the tops of the doors where the roof accessories were run. They are a solid if dated bus. The 4M41 motor is bulletproof.

Pat
              Thanks Pat, I will wait for you picture.

Comment

• gigi34
                • Oct 2018
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                That's not the information we've been seeing on here. Late 2016 was the introduction of the new DPF from all accounts.
                Thanks Ian, I guess the quickest way to find out is to get a dealer to check. As I am buying from a private I`ll get the car checked as it is my first one and I am not really into 4WD yet. However it looks like better to narrow to MY16 models max.

Comment

• gigi34
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Melbourne

Price wise, is the exceed worth the extra cost?

I can find used MY16 Exceed NX with around 30k kms at $43k
                  New I would say it was around $60k
                  Same car ex demo with $3k 2018 you can find it $54k

On the other hand a 2018 Mitsubishi Pajero GLX NX Auto 4x4 MY18 ex demo (3000km) so sort of new at $45k
                  or
                  2015 Mitsubishi Pajero GLX NX Auto 4x4 MY15 used with 82k kms at $31k
                  or
                  2016 Mitsubishi Pajero GLX NX Auto 4x4 MY17 used with 50k kms $36k

It looks like the exceed depreciates less, I guess because there are no many around.
                  Stereo can be upgraded easily, leather interiors not however is it worth the extra cost?

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

That 2015 GLX with 80K is exactly what I've got. From your list, I'd be looking at the 2016 with the 50K, provided it's not got the DPF of course. Do any have the extras you need like a lift, aux fuel tank, bull bar, tow bar, internals like drawers etc.

Mine has given me 80K of trouble free motoring.

Comment

• gigi34
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      That 2015 GLX with 80K is exactly what I've got. From your list, I'd be looking at the 2016 with the 50K, provided it's not got the DPF of course. Do any have the extras you need like a lift, aux fuel tank, bull bar, tow bar, internals like drawers etc.

Mine has given me 80K of trouble free motoring.
                      Hi Ian, yes some does e.g. mainly bull bar and tow bar.
                      What value would you give to:

lift:
                      aux fuel tank:
                      bull bar:
                      tow bar:

So I can compare apple x apple?

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

Guess it depends a little on what you want to do. If you want to do long distance touring a aux would be quite handy. From reading cost of tank new is a bit over a thou plus install, from post I've read here cost just shy of 2grand purchased and fitted.

What sort of bull bar are fitted? The MM factory option or aftermarket steel one, if aftermarket steel one do they have capability to fit a winch? Cost for aftermarker bar without fitment I think from reading here is just under $2000.

I think you can get a tow bar purchased and fitted for under a $1000.

But perhaps you can tell us what you want to be doing with vehicle first, as they will change priorities/necessities for how to set vehicle up.

Generally the first two upgrade done to make the stock vehicle more suitable for offroad, are a suitable set of tyres and suspension upgrade, the suspension upgrade needed though will need to be suited to what accessories you are going to add to vehicle due to the possible extra full time weight you will have on vehicle.
                        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• farcanal
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by gigi34 View Post
                          Hi Ian, yes some does e.g. mainly bull bar and tow bar.
                          What value would you give to:

lift:
                          aux fuel tank:
                          bull bar:
                          tow bar:

So I can compare apple x apple?
                          My old NP Exceed had 280,000 kms on it when I traded it in. It had an aux tank (45 litres I think) and in 9 years I didn't use it once. The Pajero has a 90 litre tank and driving all over Australia towing a off-road camper/trailer there wasn't anywhere I went that required more fuel than that.
                          If you're going to pull a camper/'trailer or caravan, just carry a 20 litre jerry can for peace of mind.

Comment

• gigi34
                            • Oct 2018
                            • Melbourne

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback.

The Paj will mainly be a family car. We will first do camping just with a tent and looking to buy a trailer within the next 3/4 years.

I will do easy off roads with friend let`s 3/4 times max per year?

Add on I would like to have are tow bar, roof rack basket (to carry camping stuff), side owning to start with. I will not need the aux fuel tank. Bull bar yes good add. Lift kit yep however not critical, it is more the driving style than the need to go off road. Second battery probably good to run some additional thing.

Lets see what is out there:

2014 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS NX Auto 4x4 MY15 $36.3k with 73k kms

2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed NX Auto 4x4 MY16 $43k with 28k kms

and the we have the GLS NX MY16/MY17

I was oriented to the Exceed at the start however the price difference is quite big. I don`t like White colour (there are few). Which one would you pick?

Should I be worried buying from a dealer? I found dealers being cheaper than private, Maybe private happy to give 5/6k discounts?

Comment

• Danno47
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Townsville

When I bought my 2015 one of the preferences for me was that it didn't have a towbar fitted or at least no trailer brakes as the last thing I wanted is a car that's pulled a 3t van around Oz three times, these are a tough old bus but very popular as tugs and towing does no favours to any car and if it's spent it's entire life towing and even been looked after even at lowish k's it's going to be more worn out than one that hasn't, so don't be too worried about having to fork out a little extra for a towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X