• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonno WA
    • Oct 2015
    • Perth, WA

Water tank in rear well

Hi all.
    Had a quick 'man look search' through the threads to see if I can find anything about fitting a water tank into the third row seat well (NX) - no luck so apologies if this has already been raised.

Considering a CAMEC tank similar to the one in the link - would prefer this over a bladder that some PJ owners have installed.

Having a custom drawer system built over that and would like that installed prior. Has anyone on here fitted a plastic water tank into the rear and have any advise/suggestions?

TIA.
    Jonno.
    Jonno
    NX with things attached
  • Fooz
    • Jul 2017
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Jonno WA View Post
    Hi all.
    Had a quick 'man look search' through the threads to see if I can find anything about fitting a water tank into the third row seat well (NX) - no luck so apologies if this has already been raised.

Considering a CAMEC tank similar to the one in the link - would prefer this over a bladder that some PJ owners have installed.

Having a custom drawer system built over that and would like that installed prior. Has anyone on here fitted a plastic water tank into the rear and have any advise/suggestions?

TIA.
    Jonno.
    Abbertanks in Burpengary QLD make a hard plastic custom tank to fit there. I have one in my NX but haven't finished the install yet & will also be puting a drawer system over the top. The jack holder needs a bit of a bend so the tank sits properly & I am going to put foam under to make it sit snug.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I have a 70 litre tank in the rear footwell of my NT, installed by the previous owner - I expect it's from Abbertanks.

I have a simple gravity feed / syphon system that works well enough for me, and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

However, on a recent Simpson Crossing, I quickly became aware of the significant amount of weight I was carrying behind the rear axle - water tank, auxiliary fuel tank, and custom wooden storage system including fridge and most of my recovery gear. Under certain circumstances (that were far too common) all the mass at the rear would set up a "pendulum" effect that was too much for my rear suspension. So I had to go very slow until track conditions changed again.

Not a show stopper, and certainly not a reason to avoid putting a water tank there, but in front of the rear axle would be a better position - in an ideal world.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Georgie
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2013
        • Secret Harbour WA

Originally posted by Jonno WA View Post
        Hi all.

TIA.
        Jonno.
        Hi Jonno
        I just sold a 70ltr one today with pump for $100.00 it was an Abber you must have missed my Stuff for sale ad on this forum have a look I still have stuff for sale
        Cheers
        Georgie
        2015 Sahara
        Black Mica in colour
        BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

I installed a 45L custom designed Abber tank in my rear footwell together with a pump. I made a platform contoured to the shape of the footwell for the tank and pump to be located on, with cushioning above the tank to stop it bouncing. I have also located my Intervolt battery controller in the rear footwell.

The 45L tank is a compromise for weight and space. I can still access my jack if needs be. I access the footwell via a cut out in the drawer system base under the fridge slide. The water tank sits to the rhs of the footwell and has its fill point on the lhs of the top of the tank. The vent and takeoff are also on the lhs of the tank.

Comment

• Scouter1
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney NSW

+1 for Abber tanks

Just wrote up my Abber tank install in build thread https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...3&postcount=42

Cheers,
            Stephen
            2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Mananan
              • May 2016
              • South Africa

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              I have a 70 litre tank in the rear footwell of my NT, installed by the previous owner - I expect it's from Abbertanks.

I have a simple gravity feed / syphon system that works well enough for me, and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

However, on a recent Simpson Crossing, I quickly became aware of the significant amount of weight I was carrying behind the rear axle - water tank, auxiliary fuel tank, and custom wooden storage system including fridge and most of my recovery gear. Under certain circumstances (that were far too common) all the mass at the rear would set up a "pendulum" effect that was too much for my rear suspension. So I had to go very slow until track conditions changed again.

Not a show stopper, and certainly not a reason to avoid putting a water tank there, but in front of the rear axle would be a better position - in an ideal world.

Had the same “overhung weight issue “ which was simply solved by fitting airlifters. Relatively inexpensive....

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

"airlifters" may help the suspension, but it wont solve the pendulum effect. I'm with NJ on this. Whenever I go away, the weight in the rear is scary. I was regularly lifting front wheels, particularly when ascending inclines due to the weight in the rear as seen here:

Dolium/Boab do a footwell tank that I reckon would be a much better proposition.

I did look into it once and something tells me it wouldn't quite fit without removal of the rear seats?? I really need to look into removing these seats for those longer trips and get some of that weight forward. That said, 40L of water would last me a month - I really don't need to carry that much even for month long trips.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  That said, 40L of water would last me a month - I really don't need to carry that much even for month long trips.
                  Why are we not surprised ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	981019
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Alternatively there is a 42 litre vertical tank that will fit on the forward side of the cargo barrier and behind the 2nd row of seats on the PB/PC Challenger.

The Challenger is narrower than a Pajero so no width problems but I do not know the amount of room between the seats and the cargo barrier. Advantage of these tanks is the weight is just forward of the rear axle and you do not really need a pump. When you have pumped water you tend to use much more (wastage mainly), my storage system has been designed to take 1, 2 and up to 3 of these tanks but I have never bothered fitting any as we carry only 2x15 litre plastic jerry's for washing water and cask spring water for drinking. Best water saving device is a hand spray bottle, you use much less water.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

What OJ said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_124420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	981020

Vertical tank attached to the cargo barrier in a Challenger needs to be raised at least 100mm in order for the tank cutouts to clear the wheelarch trims. Top of the tank ends up at the same height as the top of the 2nd row seats, so rear vision isn't obstructed.

A Pajero's extra width might be just enough to make raising un-necessary.

Gravity feed has been perfectly adequate for my needs.
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                        Why are we not surprised ?

[ATTACH]37991[/ATTACH]
                        Lol....

yes, OJ I should have mentioned the vertical tank as well. I cant fit one in mine, so I forgot to mention that option. A mate has one and it suits his needs well and like said, gravity feed is simples! Getting back to weight distribution, the footwell tank is still the better option, however it does consume some useable space, partly why the rear storage well is ideal for that, but it does come with a rear axle weight distribution penalty. The 5L garden sprayer with a a shower rose on the end makes a great bush shower. I use about 2L a shower with that - but I don't wash me feet, ey KB
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• brendansando
                          • Feb 2016
                          • Gold Coast

Hi all

About a year after ordering my 70l Abber tank I finally made some time working with dad to install the tank into the 3rd row seat well.

Details have been posted here.

cheers
                          Brendan
                          White NW VRX Di-D 14MY

Alloy bulbar | 3 x LED driving lights | Redarc BCDC1225 dual battery | TPMS| Projecta dual batt monitor | Bushskinz sliders & full underbody | DBA T3 brakes | 2" lift kit & rear airbags | Safari snorkel | 45L 2nd diesel tank | 70l Abber water tank in rear seat well | Octane tinted windows | Outback rear drawers | 40l Engel | Uniden UHF | Alpine amp & type-R speakers with 8" sub | Dynamat lined doors | James Baroud Explorer Evo | Supa-peg Rapid Wing | 4 x Maxtrax

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X