• Show
Clear All
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

NK or NL

Hi,

First post so please be gentle!

I'm after either an NK or NL (will be my first Paj) not planning any serious off-road adventures just yet, just the usual WA trips from Perth up to Shark Bay, down to Albany, loaded up with the Mrs, kids, dog and camping gear etc....

Anyway am doing the rounds of gumtree and a little confused by the various options....so here goes with the newbie questions:

1. am I right in thinking my petrol engine options for NK would be 3.0 SOHC or 3.5 DOHC and for NL 3.5 SOHC?
    2. Could all of the above be manual or auto gearbox?
    3. Is there any way to tell from the outside, e.g. any differences in the badges / stickers
    4. Is there any way to tell by looking at a (typical gumtree quality) pic of the engine?

From there, I guess the next question would be - which combo of engine and gearbox is considered the best/most reliable/longest lasting/easiest to work on....etc.

My gut feeling at the moment from reading the board and stuff would be NL 3.5 SOHC with Manual box. So that would mean late 97 - early 2000 by my reckoning?

Oh, one other thing about the 7 seaters - I've seen some where the 2 extra seats fold down from the sides, and others where they fold up from the floor. Any opinions on either options? If I got a 5 seater could I fit the extra 2 later?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
  • Tuba
    • Feb 2015
    • Qld

NK NL 3rd row seats wont come up from the floor. They all flip to the side. In the NK NL the 5 seat is probably less common. Dont overlook the NJ, pretty much the same as NK. Not sure on the full list of differences, but they look the same. First of the 3.5, and the 2.8.

You left out the best combo, 2.8 TD, 5 spd, LSD rear. (cat, meet pigeons) If good, and reasonable tyres not 33 etc, should get 800+ to a tank.

Less common, more reliable. Not so easy on the pocket if things go wrong. Service is critical, right oil, filters etc, in a timely manner.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

ADM and most JDM released NK/NL dont have the 3.0 option it was pretty much dropped in NJ so its not applicable. This means in Petrol you are looking at DOHC or SOHC outside decal will list 3500 DOHC for NK or 3500 24valve for the NL, the NL is also available in Blister side (factory metal widebody not plastic flares). Both should have similar internal options ie electric windows etc. but the NL may have better options in lower spec models.

The Engine cover and the engine itself is different to look at

3.5 SOHC from NL

3.5 DOHC from NK

Basic Gen 2 engine options

NH model Apr 91-Nov 93
      swb 2.6 petrol 5sp (V5M21) leaf springs 3.0 V6 5sp (V5MT1) rear coils
      lwb 2.6 petrol 5sp (V5M21) leaf springs 2.5 TD 5sp (V5M21) leaf springs 2.5 TDI 5sp (V5MT1) rear coils 3.0 V6 5sp (V5MT1) or 4sp auto (V4AW2) rear coils

NJ model Nov 93-Mar 97
      rear leaf springs dropped everything now 3 link coils
      swb 3.0 V6 5sp (V5MT1) or 4sp auto (V4AW2)
      lwb 2.8 D 5sp (V5M21) 2.8 TDI 5sp (V5M31) 3.0 V6 5sp (V5MT1) or 4 sp auto (V4AW2)
      Luxury Exceed model 3.5 DOHC V6 lwb 4 sp auto (V4AW3)
      Sep 95 3.5 DOHC V6 made standard across range (3.0 V6 dropped)

NK model Mar 97-Oct 97
      swb 3.5 DOHC V6 5sp (V5M31) or 4sp auto (V4AW3)
      lwb 2.8 TDI 5sp (V5M31) 3.5 DOHC V6 5sp (V5M31) or 4sp auto (V4AW3)

NL model Oct 97-Jul 00 (known as Gen 2.5 in US)
      swb same as NK
      lwb same as NK except 3.5 DOHC V6 replaced with 3.5 SOHC V6

GEN 2 3rd row seats only fold up to the side - Gen 3 and newer fold into the floor.
      NL can come with bigger front brake rotors that may be important if towing (Not sure what spec level this is) and I think the NL is probably easier to deal with if engine troubles arise (its very similar to the NM on engine). From everything I have seen NL is harder to find in Manual but not impossible - I have an NL manual driveline.

info found in the post here >>https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=13310
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• 98NL GL
        • Oct 2011
        • Cairns

Simply put its easy as petrol are
        NK - 3.5L DOHC
        NL - 3.5L SOHC

NK/NL - 2.8TD is the same.

I would recommend that you buy NL if its petrol you are after. as I have had good experience with it. I cant comment on the NK.

Cheers,
        XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
        1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
        1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
        2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

The NL SOHC is a better motor IMO , 13kw less power, but same torque as the DOHC but the torque is spread better in the SOHC. Ive had both NK & NL 3.5s & the SOHC make the vehicle more driveable, IMO & also the NK requires premium fuel. The power in the NK is at a higher revs too.

Go for the Exceed in NL, you get leather, dual air, abs etc. If youre not fussed with all of that go for a GLS or GL. The top spec in the NK was GLS as the exceed wasnt an option for NK.

The auto (4 speed) is the more common option but there are 5 speed manuals around even in the Exceed range. I like the autos & have not had any problems with the ones Ive owned. You have to be aware that the valve stems go on the NLs & they smoke a bit on take off. Other than that the petrols are OK . The crank bolt seems to be a common problem as it can work loose or break & has happened on me on 2 of my NLs. I had my motor rebuilt & we tapped out the crank hole to 16mm fine thread & I now use a Grade 10 16mm bolt instead of 14mm.

If you are after a diesel your only option is 2.8 & manual tranny unless its an import with auto. They were avalialbe in auto overseas & in NZ.

Get the turbo diesel as it has more power than non turbo. Also turbo is more common but there were a few non turbos around.

turbo diesel was avaliable from NJ to NL range.

The rest of the vehicle is fairly solid & sound with no major common dramas.

IMO the NL was the better of all as it was the last of the series until the Gen 3 , NM came along. The Gen 3 &4 are more refined & a better option on the road, IMO but the Gen 2 leaves them for dead in the bush & rough stuff, IMO & I have had NH, NK, NL, NP & now a swb NS.

cheers & good luck
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• tomwithannl
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post

Go for the Exceed in NL, you get leather, dual air, abs etc. If youre not fussed with all of that go for a GLS or GL.
            Hi Ian
            Not quite correct
            When the NL was released in 1997 and they produced the wide body (GLS) you could option it ( for a hell of a price premium) with a "luxury pack" which included leather, dual air bags, ABS and rear A/C. This continued in 1998 but in 1999 and early 2000 (end of the NL model) the GLS became the Exceed which had the lux pac as standard and also added wood knobs on the trans and transfer levers and chrome surrounds to the rear lights, and quite often the small mirror on the lh front guard.
            Mine is a 1998 GLS and has the lux pack.
            I may be biased but I agree that the NL Exceed or GLS with Lux pack is the one to look for.

Tom
            1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
            1953 Morris Minor ute
            1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
            2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2000
              • Tasmania

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
              Hi Ian
              Not quite correct
              When the NL was released in 1997 and they produced the wide body (GLS) you could option it ( for a hell of a price premium) with a "luxury pack" which included leather, dual air bags, ABS and rear A/C. This continued in 1998 but in 1999 and early 2000 (end of the NL model) the GLS became the Exceed which had the lux pac as standard and also added wood knobs on the trans and transfer levers and chrome surrounds to the rear lights, and quite often the small mirror on the lh front guard.
              Mine is a 1998 GLS and has the lux pack.
              I may be biased but I agree that the NL Exceed or GLS with Lux pack is the one to look for.

Tom
              yes thats true , the woodgrain auto lever, handbrake lever & transfer case knob were a dealer added feature in Oz only . No other country got them. I found this out when my parts guy tried to track down some new ones for me. I managed to get new ones on Ebay, dont know how the guy got them but they looked like NOS they even had instructions. I bought a couple of each for Ron (later Ron).
              Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 03-09-16, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• damo03
                • Dec 2012
                • Newcastle NSW &Melbourne VIC

NL GLS or Exceed have the wide body that looks really nice. They also have 16" wheels and rear air conditioning which the Escape does not have. Those are the major differences between the GLX-Escape and the GLS/Exceed.

My manual Escape comes with electric windows, dual airbags, electric mirrors. It doesn't have ABS though. It's a really comfy car despite not being as luxury as the GLS or Exceed.

I wanted the GLS but then I found a mint Escape for a great price. The $3000 I saved buying an Escape paid for a lot of camping extras.

As others have said auto/manual are good and the NL 3.5 SOHC petrol is the one to go for.

Check the engine for a lot of blue smoke when you give it a good rev after it has been idling for a couple of minutes. That would indicate worn valve stem seals. I have seen some worn engines that will give a massive cloud of blue smoke when the vehicle takes off after sitting at the lights.
                2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

• BerKo
                  • Dec 2008

Another reason to go Escape (all sourced from redbook):

Escape:
                  Payload (kg) 714

Exceed:
                  Payload (kg) 586

GLS:
                  Payload (kg) 655
                  1999 NL Escape
                  33" Mudhogs, snorkel, winchbar with 12000lb winch, suspension seats, dual batteries, suspension seats, double DIN android stereo with reverse cam

Comment

• Valiant81
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Bracknell Tasmania

NK or NL

Hi all;
                    For my 2c worth i have a 95 NK with the 2.8 Ltr turbo diesel engine with the 5 speed manual gear box. Stock standard. Manly used to pull our caravan around and now has 220,000 Kms on the clock. Over the years we have done 3 trips over to Tasmania, one trip up to Uluru, kings Cannon, and on to Alice Springs.A couple of years ago we traveled up to Darwin and Kadadu, that trip we traveled 8500 Kms. All with the caravan on the back. A great truck and when looked after, services, glow plugs that fail after 12 months and other little things that go wrong.is all the fun part of owning a car or 4x4.
                    My Pajero is old school, meaning there are no electronics for the engine management, so one thing that you don't have to worry about. Not the fastest thing off at the lights, but when pulling 2 ton and a 7 Mtr pop top caravan you just have to take your time.

With a diesel, servicing is very important, good oil and filters are a must. A good mechanic, and one that knows diesels is good insurance.
                    A diesel engine has a lot of low down pulling power, and makes for easy towing. As for fuel consumption, we have averaged over say our Darwin trip was 17 Ltrs per 100 Kms . That's the god and bad of it.

If i was to up grade the pajero ( to what !!! ) i would look at another diesel and high on the list it would be a diesel Pajero.

Comment

• Valiant81
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Bracknell Tasmania

NK or NL

Hi all;
                      For my 2c worth i have a 95 NK with the 2.8 Ltr turbo diesel engine with the 5 speed manual gear box. Stock standard. Manly used to pull our caravan around and now has 220,000 Kms on the clock. Over the years we have done 3 trips over to Tasmania, one trip up to Uluru, kings Cannon, and on to Alice Springs.A couple of years ago we traveled up to Darwin and Kadadu, that trip we traveled 8500 Kms. All with the caravan on the back. A great truck and when looked after, services, glow plugs that fail after 12 months and other little things that go wrong.is all the fun part of owning a car or 4x4.
                      My Pajero is old school, meaning there are no electronics for the engine management, so one thing that you don't have to worry about. Not the fastest thing off at the lights, but when pulling 2 ton and a 7 Mtr pop top caravan you just have to take your time.

With a diesel, servicing is very important, good oil and filters are a must. A good mechanic, and one that knows diesels is good insurance.
                      A diesel engine has a lot of low down pulling power, and makes for easy towing. As for fuel consumption, we have averaged over say our Darwin trip was 17 Ltrs per 100 Kms . That's the good and bad of it.

If i was to up grade the pajero ( to what !!! ) i would look at another diesel and high on the list it would be a diesel Pajero.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Gold Coast

Hi chrisall, the guys are correct to nominate the NL 3.5L V6 SOHC in an automatic. This is argueably the best Pajero ever made for Aus. It was rated so by a 4wd magazine only about 2-3 years ago. The Aisian auto is brilliant on and offroad. So good that after the change to the Jatco auto mistake the Aisian auto was reintroduced to the Pajero. The worn or in my opinion poorly designed valve stem seals (cos they all did it, even the Verada's, until the 3.8L V6) will let a little oil thru on prolonged idling. Not when driving. Not worth the replacement cost unless you have reason to take off the heads. I found the blue smoke issue almost eliminated (besides other benefits) by using HPR15 oil. Also if you spend a few dollars more on 95 RON fuel you will be impressed by the extra giddyup, pulling power and increased range you get. It will also keep the fuel injectors clean. Getting an NL that has been treated well is the challenge. Good luck.
                        99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                          Hi chrisall, the guys are correct to nominate the NL 3.5L V6 SOHC in an automatic. This is argueably the best Pajero ever made for Aus. .
                          I dont think its arguable at all.

Regarding the tranny, IMO the Asian 4 speed is NOT as good as the 5 speed Jatco. The only reason Mitsu dropped the 4 speed was to offer the 5 speed with the release of the Gen3 NM in 2000 & the reason they dropped the 5 speed Jatco in favour of the 5 speed Asian with the release of the NT is because the Jatco wasnt up to the torque rating of the upgraded 3.2 tdi that came out with the NT diesel. They kept the Jatco for the 3.8l MIVEC in the NS & NT. In fact the 5 speed (not sure if it was a Jatco or Asian though) was available overseas in the NL series & it came with a GDI motor. It was not offered in Oz. The 5 speed auto is so much an improvement over the 4 speed, it makes much better use of the power & torque of the 3.5l, especially for towing.
                          Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 05-09-16, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

interesting that Jatco are not up to the task of power output, the Patrol 6cyl turbo diesel is a jatco (infact the same one as the twin turbo 300zx has) and I am sure that they put out plenty of torque and hp compared to Pajero's
                            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2000
                              • Tasmania

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                              interesting that Jatco are not up to the task of power output, the Patrol 6cyl turbo diesel is a jatco (infact the same one as the twin turbo 300zx has) and I am sure that they put out plenty of torque and hp compared to Pajero's
                              yes that is interesting, but the NT tdi torque is 46% more than the NM 3.5l in which the Jatco debuted, the Jatco in the Patrols may have had different specs. Also Jatco is owned by Nissan. (as an aside)
                              Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 05-09-16, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X