• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trish
    • Jan 2012
    • Brisbane

which winch to fit to Smartbar?

Hi,

I have finally decided to go with the smartbar. On the webpage they state that the winchbar would fit a Warn 9,000lb winch.

Does anybody out there have a Smartbar with a different winch fitted? Any winch that is same size or smaller should fit, shouldn't it?? or is there anything else that determins the winch mounting?

I would prefer a winch with a synthetic rope plus there are cheaper options out there than the warn.
    I just don't want to buy a winch now to then realise it won't fit the bar

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Cheers Trish
    2011 MY12 NW Pajero GLX DiD Auto - graphit grey.
    Bridgestone D694 275/65/17LT, full set of Bushskinz, Smartbar, T-Max 9000lb winch, Airtec Snorkel... more to come....soon (still have a very long wishlist)
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Unless you're going to be using it ALL the time I'd say a Warn is a bit of overkill. A Tigerz11 is probably better value for most users.

Tigerz11
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Trish
      • Jan 2012
      • Brisbane

That is actually the one I had in mind, I just wanted to make sure it fit's the Smartbar before I order anything.

Does anybody have 1st hand experience with fitting anything else to the smartbar than the explicitly mentioned warn 9,000?
      Bridgestone D694 275/65/17LT, full set of Bushskinz, Smartbar, T-Max 9000lb winch, Airtec Snorkel... more to come....soon (still have a very long wishlist)

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Might be an idea to contact Smartbar and ask them, see what they say. It would be odd if it was only the Warn that fit.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Traveller43
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Trish View Post
          That is actually the one I had in mind, I just wanted to make sure it fit's the Smartbar before I order anything.

Does anybody have 1st hand experience with fitting anything else to the smartbar than the explicitly mentioned warn 9,000?
          I am in the same boat Trish. Looking at the Tigerz11 10000 lb winch for the Smartbar but haven't checked if it fits yet. If you found out I'd love to see a post. I won't be acting until about August.
          Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
            Unless you're going to be using it ALL the time I'd say a Warn is a bit of overkill. A Tigerz11 is probably better value for most users.

Tigerz11
            By the way it's worded, sounds like they mean that a 9,000lb Warn winch or any low-mount (planetary-geared) winch of similar dimensions will fit. As the pulling force is taken up by the supporting cradle bolted between the front engine/bumper-support members (2000-on aren't true chassis-members, but designed to do the same job), it shouldn't matter whether your vehicle has a steel, alloy, or plastic bull-bar, just as long as it meets rego requirements. Theoretically, you could simply cut a slot in a stock bumper (remove some foam) & fit a cradle & winch!

Steve
            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Trish
              • Jan 2012
              • Brisbane

OK, looks like nobody has fitted any other winch to the smartbar yet (can hardly believe that).
              Anyhow I will contact Smartbar and will advise you of the outcome, not sure though if I can play guineapig as I had planned to have the winch installed the same time as the bar and the Tigerz11 don't seem to be available for another few month...

How big a job is fitting a winch once the bar is up? Will I have to remove the bar again? Is this something someone with 'limited skills' and 'limited equipment' could do oneself?
              Guess I'd prefer to have it done by a professional....
              Last edited by Trish; 03-05-12, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Trish
                • Jan 2012
                • Brisbane

OK, since I first posted I have done some ringing around and the outcome is not reassuring.
                Smartbar sais their bar and the related mounting plate have been designed for the warn 9000lb and made to fit only this winch (limiting factors are size and weight). They were very evasive and would not want to comfirm that any winch matching size and weight could be fitted (I think they just want to cover their a... in case something happens).

OL gave me a quote for the bar but are not willing to install anything else but the warn (quoted at 2600.00 with steelcable and without the install).

TJM are not to keen on selling the smartbar in the first place ('hey mate you'd be better off with an alloy bar') but if I insist were willing to install one of their own 9000 winches (again with cable, no synthetic rope because 'those ropes are only designed for competitions to make it easier to run up a hill with it and it will rip on the first rock you touch', I guess it's more because they don't have the 9000lb one with rope). This winch would still cost $1000.00 without the install!!

How I love dealing with 'Experts'!!

I guess what I will do for now is just get the bar and then get some small synthetic rope winch and try to install myself.
                There must be some installation guides for dummies (like myself) available somewhere online (I hope, coulnd't find anything yet.).

I will let you know if I succeeded or failed installing a different winch than the warn on the smartbar.

Cheers Trish

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

Trish, fitting a winch is not rocket science. The main thing you'll need to do is watch how the Smartbar is attached so you can take it off again. AFAIK the mounting bolts for the winches are all basically the same. Most you'd have to do is re-drill a hole or 2 I'd think. Can't see that the Tiger would be any more difficult to install than a Warn.
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                  Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• achjimmy
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                    Trish, fitting a winch is not rocket science. The main thing you'll need to do is watch how the Smartbar is attached so you can take it off again. AFAIK the mounting bolts for the winches are all basically the same. Most you'd have to do is re-drill a hole or 2 I'd think. Can't see that the Tiger would be any more difficult to install than a Warn.
                    I'd agree with this except I punt and say the Tigerz would be the same size as the warn and lighter with rope, plenty on here have fitted Tigerz to ARB bar without removing the bullbar. There is not a lot of room which I found recently when installing the Avenger winch, it is slighty bigger and almost didn't fit. There are cutouts on an ARB bar designed to allow a warn to slide up, so if the Tigerz has gone in you should have no problems with one on your smart bar. The bolt mounting holes are the same on Warn, Tigerz and avenger. You need to work out whether you need an offset hawse. I would keep ring around fourby shops and ask how much to fit a Smartbar and winch that you will provide. Some independent workshop would surely do it?
                    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• NAV
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Brisbane Northside

Originally posted by achjimmy View Post
                      I'd agree with this except I punt and say the Tigerz would be the same size as the warn and lighter with rope, plenty on here have fitted Tigerz to ARB bar without removing the bullbar. There is not a lot of room which I found recently when installing the Avenger winch, it is slighty bigger and almost didn't fit. There are cutouts on an ARB bar designed to allow a warn to slide up, so if the Tigerz has gone in you should have no problems with one on your smart bar. The bolt mounting holes are the same on Warn, Tigerz and avenger. You need to work out whether you need an offset hawse. I would keep ring around fourby shops and ask how much to fit a Smartbar and winch that you will provide. Some independent workshop would surely do it?
                      Maybe buy the parts and approach a panel beater. I'm not sure about your model but most newer cars require cutting the bumper bar and not just a straight swap like my nk. they could fit the bar the approach an auto sparky to do the wiring.

Just a thought.
                      "Life's best in low range"

Comment

• Rich
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Canberra

I have a Smartbar and was looking at the tigerz.

I contacted Tigerz and asked if it would fit a Smartbar designed for a warn 9000 and was told it would be ok.

I have not got one as other priorities occurred.

You will have to remove the bar I reckon as no room to slot in.

Make sure you get a Smartbar which is winch.

I did get contact Smartbar people as well and they sent me an install document.

Good luck with it and I will be interested to see how you go.

Rich

Comment

• 74HJLS
                          • Mar 2011
                          • Yeppoon Qld

I have fitted a Smart Bar with an Avenger Winch. Install was pretty easy if you are reasonably mechanical minded. The winch holes line up, but the winch is tapered on the side so some slight modification is required. The winch mount is fitted to the car first, followed by the winch. the bar goes on last. If you already have the bar on, you can remove it with 8 bolts and then the winch can be fitted to the winch mount on the car, the wiring is the only really fiddly bit. The OEM fog lights do not fit, so you have to buy their lights. I am very happy with mine, although I was a bit annoyed that I had to destroy my bumper to fit it. I went for the synthetic rope. You will need an offset hawse fairlead. I will post up some photos when I sort out Photo bucket.
                          Last edited by 74HJLS; 30-05-12, 07:18 AM.
                          Cheers,
                          Pete..

White 09 NT DI-D Auto GLS, MM Tow bar, Light Force 170s, Dual Batteries Ctek kit with Piranah tray, ARB Fridge, Uniden UH7760nb UHF Radio, Kenwood DNN9350BT head unit, Roo Systems Awning, Smart Bar, Mako TDS 9.5 winch, Bushskinz bash plates, Airtech Snorkel and HD Lovells/Bilstein 2" lift kit, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZs.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X