Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 2 Days Ago

Default DPF cleaning?

Is there a way to clean the DPF after removing it from the car? It looks like removing it is a relatively easy task and I think it would be good to do a clean before an outback trip. Iím hoping there is some sort of solvent which would dissolve the particles.
Or, am I dreaminí.

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
Old 1 Day Ago

I dont know of any solvents to use for a "manual" clean and I'd be hesitant to use them anyway but why are you wanting to do this when the ECU is programmed to do this anyway.
Old 1 Day Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I dont know of any solvents to use for a "manual" clean and I'd be hesitant to use them anyway but why are you wanting to do this when the ECU is programmed to do this anyway.
A "closed" DPF collects soot, the regeneration process burns the soot to ash, which takes up less volume than the soot. The ash stays in the DPF, building up over time to the point where a regeneration can't restore sufficient "flow" and the DPF must be replaced.

A few years back a member on the VW Watercooled forum was playing with high pressure cleaning of the DPF, "back-flushing" the ash out. From memory, it improved the condition of the DPF, but he wasn't able to restore it to "as new" flow.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 23 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
A "closed" DPF collects soot, the regeneration process burns the soot to ash, which takes up less volume than the soot. The ash stays in the DPF, building up over time to the point where a regeneration can't restore sufficient "flow" and the DPF must be replaced.

A few years back a member on the VW Watercooled forum was playing with high pressure cleaning of the DPF, "back-flushing" the ash out. From memory, it improved the condition of the DPF, but he wasn't able to restore it to "as new" flow.

Ok thanks.
Thats interesting as I've always been under the impression that after the burn the particles are blown out the exhaust whilst in use. I thought I read that on this forum ages ago.

Good to know anyway.
Old 23 Hours Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Ok thanks.
Thats interesting as I've always been under the impression that after the burn the particles are blown out the exhaust whilst in use. I thought I read that on this forum ages ago.

Good to know anyway.
I guess it's possible that some ash is blown through, but my understanding is that the ash builds up over time - hence the specification of "low ash" oils, to reduce the build-up of residue.

A quick google found the following as just one example of the issue: https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 21 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I guess it's possible that some ash is blown through, but my understanding is that the ash builds up over time - hence the specification of "low ash" oils, to reduce the build-up of residue.

A quick google found the following as just one example of the issue: https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php

Ah excellent stuff thanks mate..

Had a quick read but will read more thoroughly when I get home.

Cheers for setting me straight.

Last edited by Silverfox; 21 Hours Ago at 01:31 PM. Reason: Error
Old 16 Hours Ago

There's an outfit called MTM Industrial Cleaning Solutions in Bellvue I looked into a while ago. They seemed legit and their website gives plenty of info. I seem to recall it was about $500 for the process. You have to take it to them and re-install yourself.
I ended up going for the DPF delete, even though I felt guilty doing it. That cost $1600 including parts and the ECU remap. I opted for that as I never want to have a recurring issue with the bloody DPF system that leaves me stuck somewhere.
As an aside I make to everyone now days - if your going remote cough up for recovery assistance. I had to use it once for a tow from Geraldton due to DPF issues; it saved me two grand!
Old 50 Minutes Ago

Thanks. There is a Liqui Moly dpf cleaner but itís scant on details. Good advice re insurance.

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.