Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Day Ago

Default Fuel filter change experience

I decided to change my fuel filter (NM 3.5 V6). As many have complained it is a bit awkward and space is limited. I found it wasnít too bad for me, except that a 1hr job became a 2 hr job because I forgot a part out, so hopefully others can learn from my mistake. Check and recheck and triple check that it is complete before refitting the assembly. I forgot to re fit the rubber bump stop which supports the bottom of the pump.

So what I found, which I havenít read anywhere else, is to open up the filler cap for the fuel tank to release pressure built up from expansion. If not you will have petrol coming out of the fuel lines until the pressure drops.

I made the mistake of depressurise the system and disconnect the one of the hoses and petrol just came pouring out on both ends and would not stop until I opened up the filler cap and heard the pressure escape.

Has anyone else noticed the colour of the fuel coming out of the ďdirtyĒ side of the old filter when doing this job? Mine was almost black, so I will be dissecting the old filter when I get some time to see how much crap has built up.

I bought my paj with 190000km on the clock and itís now standing on 238000km so I have no idea if the fuel filter was ever changed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago

So Iíve cut my old filter open and this is what it looks like.

So for anyone wondering if they should change these filters or if anyone says these are lifetime filters and donít need changing, I would say do it. Iím assuming the worst and this filter has seen 238000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago

Mmmm-looks pretty tasty!!