Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 4 Days Ago

Default Minimum tool kit

Hi
I have a fairly full collection of tools in my garage.
I have been carring around the Kings tool bag for a couple of years with some additions like hub nut socket, cold chisel, etc. I think this kit could cover most things and I would consider it an expedition kit, probably too big to carry around all the time.

Now I have added drawers to rear, there is not much chance of getting this bag out from the third row seat well.

What are the most like roadside repairs that a Gen 4.1 would require where it would be a hassle to wait for a tow or mechanic and could be repaired on the side of the road? I cannot think of much: serpentine belts are pretty durable if replaced regularly, getting to the spark plugs doesn’t seem likely these days wiith 100k klm plugs, no leads, etc. all I can think of is electrical issues, wire damage, flat tyres, broken exhaust bracket, and other breakage items on the track.

Would a kit containing these items be lighg weight but generally usefull:
2 x Knipex pliers wrench, 150, 250 or 300 (would this likely remove the need for sockets if possible)
Vice grips
Wheel nut socket and bar
Small electricians pliers
Hammer
Screwdriver with replaceable tips
Large screwdriver or lever
Knife
Multimeter, test light
OBD2 scan tool
Tie wire
Zip ties
Electrical tape, self amalgamating tape, duct tape
WD40, can of contact cleaner
Capacitor jump starter
Pump
Tyre plug kit
Electrical wire
Fuses and bulbs
Misc nuts, washers and bolts
Old serpentine belt
1 L engine oil.
Gloves, rags, tarp to lie on.

Most things might all fit in a small SCA tool bag.

I would keep this in the car permanently, and throw it into the Kings kit when remote travelling.

Any idea? What have I missed, what could I do without?
2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, removable cargo cage with fridge slide and battery box, front and rear Anderson sockets, Matson BT battery monitor on starter, TP-13 TPMS.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Simple rule i have found is that whatever you carry you will not need. What you dont have, you will need.
I have the kings tool bag plus some additional goodies.
12v soldering iron with a lead long enough toget to any part of the car plus solder and heatshrink.
Tubeless puncture repair kit
Comprssor
Capacitor jumpstarter
Wiring crimp connectors
First aid kit
Multimeter
Test light
Cable ties
Rescue tape
PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED light bar. MM 4X4 lock up switch. Airtec snorkel, Toyo Open Country AT2, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.
Old 4 Days Ago

The simple rule is a bummer,

I did the timing belt, water pump, plugs etc last year and I don’t remember too much need for allen keys on this car. There must be a bunch of other tools that would not be worth carrying (hacksaw ?) on a non-remote tour.

I guess we are talking about a basic get out of jail kit for use up a track or on a highway between towns with no car club recovery subscription.

I think soldering iron and crimper might be good but wire twisting and tape might get you going until a permanet repair can be made.

Most of us probably have a multitool with knife and pliers. Could that replace some others single purpose (knife, crimper, small pliers, file, small screwdriver)? Can most things be tightened with two vise-grips?

Maybe the question could be what would be usefull for a week long non-remote holiday?

I have had cars with small manufacturer’s tool kits that included spanners to change fan belts - those days might be gone, and perhaps not needed now if the car is properly maintained.

The kit should also be usefull for around the camp.

Minimalist kit for 4.1 pajero is the aiim.
2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, removable cargo cage with fridge slide and battery box, front and rear Anderson sockets, Matson BT battery monitor on starter, TP-13 TPMS.

Last edited by dunk_c; 4 Days Ago at 05:55 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Fewer and fewer travellers are capable of fixing their vehicles whilst travelling but they still carry a whole selection of tools that they do not need or can even use but it gives them a sense of security and preparedness. No amount of extra gear carried can offset correct and timely pre-trip preparation.

You are more likely to have problems with fitted accessories, modifications and trailers/caravans that you are with a well maintained vehicle of 10 years old or less.

When your modern 4wd does stop, chances are it is electrical/electronic so the most critical thing you do need to carry is a copy of the service manual and particularly the circuit diagrams on your laptop, iPad or memory stick. This way when you do get assistance from an external person they at least have the information rather than "just guessing".

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

I recently downsized my car took kit.
The first one I bought was a cheapo “have everything” when it came to spanners and sockets etc. I had no idea what I really needed.
I had spanners from about 6-24mm, and the same(ish) in imperial whatever that is. There were rings at both ends, open at both, and a ring and open at each. Yeah that’s 3 sets in each of metric and imperial. Never used imperial on the car. Way too much.
Sockets, can’t remember but it had 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in drives. Once again, way too much.

Years later after doing some basics, I’ve gotten a smaller kit.
This is the kit I have now: https://www.kincrome.com.au/120pc-3-...to-bmc-kit-met. Not exactly the cheapest, but it was on special, almost Christmas and I thought hey, why not!
Much more suitable range for what I do and can do to the car. Less weight, less space, and a much better carry-case. BUT the best thing- it fits superbly in my drawer system, like one was made for the other.

I carry other things too in another little case like cable ties, wd, tape, connectors, fuses, hammer, fencing wire (it’s helped tie up a mates dangling exhaust!), window chip repair...

For a remote trip, well, I’ll get a few more things like belts, breaker bar... around town it’s just the smaller stuff so I don’t have to wait for RAC- if I can’t do it roadside I can’t do it anyway, and more tools won’t help!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 4 Days Ago
Resident

Unless you use the tools on the car you'll never know if you have the right ones.

Japanese vehicles are built using metric bolts: M6, M8, M10, M12, M14, possibly M16? That's 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm spanners / sockets, unless you have Australian sourced M8 nuts / bolts - in which case you need to add 13mm spanner / socket. Pajero wheel nuts are 21mm, some filler plugs are 24mm.

Of course, some of your accessories could be installed using other "non standard" nut and bolt head sizes, or even imperial fasteners. Chances are one of your battery terminals needs a 3/8" spanner, in my experience seat belt bolts are an imperial head - although I'm not sure why you'd need to undo seat belt bolts for a roadside repair.

A set of metric combination (open / ring) spanners contains sizes you won't need, and won't contain sizes you will need. Bugger!

Spanners alone won't suffice - some nuts / bolts you won't be able to access with a spanner, so you'll need a socket set, with a selection of extension bars. But don't get fooled into thinking that you'll use the socket set instead of spanners - sometimes there isn't sufficient space to get a socket onto the bolt / nut.

Replaceable bit screwdrivers are handy, until the screw is at the bottom of a hole that is too small for the holder - a few "normal" screwdrivers will be required.

Use your tool kit whenever you work on your 4wd. If the kit doesn't contain something you want (or need) to use, consider if you can do without it on a trip - something like a trolley jack and axle stands, for instance.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....