Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks guys. My thinking is turning to the one running is the better way to go, helped along by the comments here. I guess I was thinking of even grabbing the other as a spare. Bar the fact that the seller of the running one hasn't replied to my last message and that it looks like at least 2 weeks until I can pick it up due to him going away.

I'm not sure if its running, but I think I can at least check compression on it. He has 2 with similar km on them, one in a car that was running at some point in the last few years and one on the ground with transmission and starter still attached

Erad, does the aluminium of the piston expand at a great rate than the cylinder wall? Just wondering why that engine seized, I thought it would loosen a bit when it warmed up with the cylinder wall expanding slightly more. Plus you mentioned the pistons wiping the bores on an overheated engine...

I'll suss out roodogs, thanks for the tip.

I guess waiting a few weeks isn't so bad. Haven't got the room in the garage currently, and have a few things that need to get sorted such as exhaust manifold cracks before anything can happen anyway. Picked up an engine stand this morning for $40, and have an engine hoist ready to go when I need it.

Appreciate all the help and advice guys. I feel I'm maybe over fussing on this one, normally I'm just "whatever, just get the damn thing running" type attitude. Now to think whether I'm better whipping the heads off the running motor or just use it as is and hope all is good
Old 5 Days Ago

Have a look around for a complete '380' car.... I picked up mine for $600 smashed in the rear side. Statutory Right-off ... The Engine had only 122k on it and was serviced by Mitsubishi on every scheduled Period... They are out there, it took me 6months to find mine.... And sold the rest of the car for $550... So $50 for a 122k motor... cool... That means I can buy lots of new goodies for the old girl...

Gemster....
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Disco Stu: Aluminium expands at a faster rate than Cast Iron. That is why engines typically are noisier when they are cold. When they warm up, the clearances are less, the engine uses less oil, compressions are better. All the clearances are calculated for when the engine is at operating temperature but you rarely can measure them then so they quote you the cold clearances which give you what they want when the engine warms up.
Old 5 Days Ago

Did you pick that up with pickles type auction Gemster, or just for sale in a normal place? I've been keeping my eye out for something like that. Only option so far is Pickles, but then I've got to drive up and pick it up, meaning hire trailer etc. Plus I'm not sure how happy the wife will be with another car in pieces! Having the yard we do, I would have to strip it out the front on the road. Still, don't think I would knock it back

Thanks Erad. I guess I had never considered aluminium expansion in comparison with cast iron, but if they expanded at the same rate then there would be very high clearances when it was at operating temp, which would be a lot worse than high clearances for the short time its below operating temp
Old 5 Days Ago

I got mine at Manheim Auctions Brisbane... Just be careful you don't get a Flood Recovery Vehicle... They have to tell you if it is, but I wouldn't trust them... A quick hand up under the dash and other areas will tell you if its been flooded... And now with what has happened up north QLD, there will be lots more out there real soon...

Gemster....
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men
Old 5 Days Ago

Cheers. I've been thinking I'm in the wrong game, with the prices wreckers try to charge for parts. If I had a few acres spare I would probably try doing a bit of this on the side.