Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 6 Days Ago

Default Battery Vent to Outside

Hi Guys

I was in process of installing my Dual Battery set up in my gen 4 when i noticed the AGM battery i was going to use in the third row seat well has a crack in it.

Cant afford to purchase another AGM at the moment.

I did however purchase earlier today a Larger Cranking / Deep Cycle battery i was going to use under the bonnet.

Will it be ok to use this Wet Battery in the third row seat well if vented to the outside ?

If so how is it done? Battery is a Century n70zzlxhd.

Cheers
Old 6 Days Ago
Resident

Is the AGM leaking?

If there isn't a liquid / gel oozing through the crack, why not proceed with it? Worst case, it's not valve-regulated, so it could off-gas like the wet cell you're proposing to use instead. Even valve-regulated AGMs can off-gas under the wrong conditions, so I'm not sure it's really that much worse that your original idea.

Wet cell or cracked AGM, you'd want some kind of box to put the battery in. Make sure the whole space isn't "sealed" enough to trap any gas, and don't use recirc.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Is the AGM leaking?

If there isn't a liquid / gel oozing through the crack, why not proceed with it? Worst case, it's not valve-regulated, so it could off-gas like the wet cell you're proposing to use instead. Even valve-regulated AGMs can off-gas under the wrong conditions, so I'm not sure it's really that much worse that your original idea.

Wet cell or cracked AGM, you'd want some kind of box to put the battery in. Make sure the whole space isn't "sealed" enough to trap any gas, and don't use recirc.

Nah nothing oozing out of it yet, but there is a bit of a powdery thing on it where the crack is. I really dont want to use it just in case it decides to leak or even fail. Ill really just need it for next weekend and then it will be going under the bonnet.

Looking at the Century there is a small hole on each end of the battery which im assuming is for venting, I was thinking of getting some Aquarium pump tube and sticking it in the holes and have the other end go through a hole in the tub to the outside, But im not sure if this is the way its done.
Old 6 Days Ago

Here is a picture of the crack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51919722_558774687939072_7382995790517501952_n.jpg (18.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 6 Days Ago

Jimako.. go to battery world or any Century supplier, they should/will have the proper vent tubes that just plug in. I got mine when I bought the battery
2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.