Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 1 Week Ago

Default 17/9 will they fit

Hi guys new to the pajero family . I have the op6 to buy a set of 17/9s + 10 offset will they fit under a gen 2 nj pajero wthout scrubbing.
Cheers
Allen
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1 View Post
Hi guys new to the pajero family . I have the op6 to buy a set of 17/9s + 10 offset will they fit under a gen 2 nj pajero wthout scrubbing.
Cheers
Allen
I expect the rims will fit OK, but what size tyres are you planning to fit?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago

Hoping to run 265 or 275 70s
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1 View Post
Hoping to run 265 or 275 70s
I think you'll find that 9" rims are too wide for those tyres to be legal in Australia - at a quick check, both of those sizes list 8.5" as maximum legal rim width.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks ill have to look into it a bit more they currently have 265 65s on the rim
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Yes they will fit, my 265 bfgs are legal for 9 inch rim but be aware the rim is amost as wide as the tyre so they are very easy to scratch. I personally think +10 is to much offset but people do run them. My 17x9s are +35 and just sit nicely inside the guard.
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJV6 View Post
Yes they will fit, my 265 bfgs are legal for 9 inch rim but be aware the rim is amost as wide as the tyre so they are very easy to scratch. I personally think +10 is to much offset but people do run them. My 17x9s are +35 and just sit nicely inside the guard.
The OP is talking about an NJ, which came from the factory with +10 offset.

I did notice an anomaly in the tyre sizes I was looking at - a 265/65 was listed as OK up to 9.5" wide, but the 265/70 and 275/70 list 8.5" as maximum. Here in Australia, to be a legal fitment, the Tyre & Rim Association Manual is the bible. Yes, there is a difference between what works, and what's legal.

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Here in Australia, to be a legal fitment, the Tyre & Rim Association Manual is the bible. Yes, there is a difference between what works, and what's legal.
I will go one step further, there is a difference between what fits, what is legal and what works correctly from a technical point of veiw.

All tyre manufacturers of off road tyre's provide an optimal rim width and a rim width range for each particular size tyre and model within their range and these can even slightly differ for the same size tyre based on construction and design.
To get the best performance out of any tyre you should be aiming to use the opitim rim width or as close as you can within the approved design rim width range, and of course at the correct tyre pressure for the weight carried, terrain being traversed and the speed travelled.
If the rim is too narrow for the tyre then bead pinching and lower sidewall failures will be more common when off road.
If the rim is too wide then you will get increased shoulder and upper sidewall failures as well as increased rim damage when off road.

What looks cool and fashionable is not always the most reliable and safest.
Image or Substance?
I know what I always choose.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
The OP is talking about an NJ, which came from the factory with +10 offset.

I did notice an anomaly in the tyre sizes I was looking at - a 265/65 was listed as OK up to 9.5" wide, but the 265/70 and 275/70 list 8.5" as maximum. Here in Australia, to be a legal fitment, the Tyre & Rim Association Manual is the bible. Yes, there is a difference between what works, and what's legal.
Oh oops! Sorry!