Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Exhaust manifold crack-a possible alternative repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Exhaust manifold crack-a possible alternative repair?

Hey guys. So the manifolds are cracked on my engine, would be surprised if they weren't. I can't swing the money for extractors. I was pondering welding them up, but it sounds like its fairly hit and miss. I was told that stainless was the go for welding it up with, but..

I'm pondering using a high temp putty for it. A quick google shows that lots of people use quicksteel or similar for cracks. JB weld extreme heat seems to be a similar product. Amazon reviews shows that lots of people have had success with quicksteel. I even considered tacking a plate directly over the crack to hold the putty in and protect it more

It seems that prep looks similar to welding-vee out the crack slightly, clean back to bare metal all around with grinding disk. I would also go ahead and clean with acetone to make sure there is no oil on there (bound to be with the amount my engine has leaked) which is always a good idea with adhesives

Has anyone on here tried it out with success or failure? Keen to hear thoughts if anyone has experience with it.

Stu
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Or.....putty to fill crack and then wrap with exhaust bandage wrap to lock it all in.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

if they are preheated - welded with the correct material then cooled down correctly then you have every chance it will hold for a year or 2 - maybe even more - however I have seen many welded and few hold for any period of time. ALthough most were not done by the book. the reality is it is just as easy to hold fire and live with it for 6 months or so and save up for extractors
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Cheers Stu. My biggest concern is passing blue slip, I'm assuming they won't pass if there are exhaust leaks at all.

I'm thinking that the high temp putty idea is quite reversable if its a dud idea, so if that fails I can always then go and weld it

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          Cheers Stu. My biggest concern is passing blue slip, I'm assuming they won't pass if there are exhaust leaks at all.

I'm thinking that the high temp putty idea is quite reversable if its a dud idea, so if that fails I can always then go and weld it
          one of the few reasons I stay in WA - then you get a defect for the most minor thing and have to throw away the Pajero because its cheaper to buy another one than to revert it to stock to go over the pits and FAR cheaper than getting it engineered
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Even worse over there than here I take it?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X