• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisH84
    • Jan 2019
    • New South Wales

Grinding/ scraping from front end.

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Nm Pajero petrol. So a couple weeks ago I went to pick up a new steering rack for it and on the way home I noticed a grinding/ scraping sound coming from it so seeing though my car was going in the shop anyway to put the new rack in i limped it back to my mechanics and left it there. Thinking the noise was just the front hub bearings I ordered them as well as the tie rod end rack ends and got my guy to do it all wile in there. So today I took it for a cruise to see how it was all going after all the work got like a hour away from home and noticed the grinding / scraping again pulled over to see if I could see anything but couldn’t. This time I decided to see if it did it wile I was in 4wd so I put it in 4h and it didn’t do it so I put the car back in 2h and straight away it did it agin but when u come to a compleate stop I heard and felt a clunk. So I put it in 4h again to try it and again it didn’t do it so I had to limp the car home in 4h and for the hole hour it didn’t do it. Can anyone help as to what it might be thnx Chris.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

The noise you hear is the system trying to re-engage 4WD. 4WD is the default, and when you engage 2WD, a vacuum operated servomotor pushes a rod to disengage a dog clutch on the front diff. If you lose vacuum, it will try to re-engage 4WD. The clunk you hear is when at low speed, it does re-engage. Check the vacuum hoses on the solenoids in the engine bay on the inner R side of the mudguard.

Comment

• brw0513
      • Apr 2018
      • Brisbane

I agree with erad.
      Ian B
      1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• ChrisH84
        • Jan 2019
        • New South Wales

Thnx guys I ended up finding the forum post on from years ago. My only issue now is the SWX029 from what I’ve read the part number and part has been discontinued so i need to find somewhere who either makes them or still sells them. I did find one last night on eBay that was for a later year model Pajero not sure if there the same or not and if I could us it on mine.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

I found some on ebay the other looking for something else. Also saw them on aliexpress/banggood or one of those sites. A quick search then brought up repco. They were $55 each, and the ones I saw on ebay were about $25 for the pair

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

My guess is that you don't need new solenoids - you simply have a leak in the vacuum hose somewhere (they split and also grow a bit at the end connections and thus can leak. Look for these first before buying new solenoids.

Comment

• ChrisH84
              • Jan 2019
              • New South Wales

Cheers fellas gunna pop up to the mechanic tomorrow after work he is gunna test it all out for leaks and go from there. Cheers for the help fellas

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X