• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binda
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2013
    • rocky

NP DiD Oil Pressure Switch

Well, hands up anyone who has had to replace one of these little mongrels?

The Tale.

My warning light came on late Sunday night out in the bush with an hour still to get home. Slight feelings of terror were beginning to make me feel a little ill.
    I kept cool, just take it easy I told myself, turn off the music, ask the kids to shut the hell up and listen for any weird noises from the donk and get the car and family home.
    I mentally sifted through all information I had read about this sensor and I came up with the conclusion it was probably rooted. I had only just checked oil depth etc and everything was fine. I got the family and car home and began my search for the part and the best method to get at it.

The top down approach seemed to be best, so off to MM to buy the part, got my 26mm socket and then spent the best part of 5 hours trying to get my man hands into the smallest space on the planet.

By the time I had got the sensor back in the kids were screaming for their dinner and the wife was not amused at my absence from the dinner time routine. The car could be pieced back together in the morning, just in time to get the young ones off to day care so back inside and time to be a dad.

So in the end a good result. Made even better in the knowledge I will never have to do that again, never, ever.
    04 NP DiD
    Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive
  • Easykill1978
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Melbourne Vic

how much and part number?
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Mine started leaking a year or so ago and I asked a local mechanic to see if he could see where the leak was coming from. He replaced it for me - took him about 30 minutes but he said it was a real bugger to do - done heaps before apparently so must know some trick.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Shano592
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2012
        • Central Coast NSW

Yeah, get the apprentice with the really tiny hands to do it!
        Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

• brentw
          • Sep 2012
          • Salisbury Heights, SA

I have tried to get onto it before to replace as a preventative matter when I had all the airbox out and I couldn't get it. Guess I'll wait till it goes into the shop for something else or wait till it sh*ts itself and starts leaking.
          PS I tried from both the top and the bottom with the filter off during a oil change and still...
          2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

• amr75wcr
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Sunny Coast

It's a real bitch I have a post somewhere on here I had to get the better half to get her hand in there to fit it and that was even with it on a hoist.
            Guess it's real easy to fit when the engine is out pre factory fitment.
            Wayne
            04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• binda
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2013
              • rocky

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
              how much and part number?
              I don't have the part number (I chucked the bag) but the price was $44 from MM. I would have tried the ebay alternatives but its my daily drive. I couldn't wait.

The trick was to take the air box out, remove the air hose to the turbo and the hose to the intercooler, and unbolt a small actuator assembly thats just in there.

Not sure what it does but it has a metal tube running into the back of it which so it won't move to far but it allows you to see the switch but more importantly, will allow you to see the hole when you need to screw the switch back in.

Now its all in the positioning. I found the best one is to be standing at the front of the car and then with a deep 26mm socket and the correct extension you can get in there and undo it.

Ok, so now to fit it. Again standing at the front of the car (you may be on a small step) with your left hand you can reach in with your palm facing upwards (while holding the switch, its not easy) and turn it towards the engine block and you will have just enough room to get the switch started on the thread. This took me about 10 attempts.

Once the switch is started on the thread is all too easy to finish off.

Best of luck to all that attempt it. Don't get disheartened, it can be done.
              04 NP DiD
              Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

• Dusco
                • Nov 2012
                • Bairnsdale 3875

Hi all was wondering when this would eventually happen.....
                I have an oil leak coming out of oil filter side can't see it, but I think it's this monster. Did anyone have that part number.... And also before I start....any special tools required other than the 26mm socket and the small hand? ???
                Cheers
                04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• GHendo
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Dusco View Post
                  Did anyone have that part number....
                  Not 100% sure if this is correct, but when I looked at my notes I have MC840219 listed as the part number - got it from somewhere at sometime. If you check it will a dealer they will tell you.

Cheers

Geoff
                  03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Dusco
                    • Nov 2012
                    • Bairnsdale 3875

Thank you. Great for a start. will double check with stealer... Searched posts Wayne has some good picks up in another post.
                    Lost about 300ml in 1800km trip to Vic towing 2t.
                    Need to get on it.
                    Would be good if there was a way to get the posts under a single DIY banner as it's an inevitable fix.
                    04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Cairns

The genuine oil pressure switch P/N is 1258A002. Cost is about $40. I replaced mine last year whilst I was changing the head on my engine, as the switch was starting to weep....
                      As for the socket, Repco sell a specific socket for oil pressure switches. It's only about $10. I recommend you go get yourself one!
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Meremale
                        • Dec 2015
                        • Port Hedland, WA

The part number that Geoff quoted (MC840219) was the switch I purchased when I replaced mine....$22 from Amayama
                        Last edited by Meremale; 31-05-16, 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD 5 Spd Manual

Comment

• Dusco
                          • Nov 2012
                          • Bairnsdale 3875

Lucky its oil change time... I'll be heading in from underneath after removing oil filter....
                          177kms up so it was going to happen soon.
                          Towing 2 t put it under a little more temp stress.
                          And a few -1 nights in the high country... Brr

Bursons 12.50
                          Repco 23.50
                          Mitsubishi 43.50
                          Mitsubishi 40.00
                          Last edited by Dusco; 01-06-16, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Dusco
                            • Nov 2012
                            • Bairnsdale 3875

Bursons 12.50
                            Repco 23.50
                            Mitsubishi 43.50
                            Mitsubishi 40.00[/QUOTE]

What difference between these anyone tried
                            The cheaper types fuel miser or tridon??

Comment

• rykiel575
                              • Sep 2017
                              • Sydney

My 04 NP 3.2TD's got a leak.
                              Suspect its the pressure switch.

Hot day today (41c), recent oil change, and hills at highway speeds got the oil pressure alarm on the dash.
                              checked under the car, no leaks.

I am going to get the tridon TPS008 for $12.50 or something from supercheap and hopefully fit it very soon.
                              2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X