• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

ARB Bullbars Gen 3 and Gen 4

After yet another animal strike I thought I'd give some good feedback on ARB bull bars. I've had an ARB bull bar on each of my last three vehicles. A ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, an NP Pajero and an NW Pajero. Each one of these vehicles received numerous unavoidable impacts with kangaroos (and emu's!), probably 6-8 over all the vehicles. Most were at speeds of 80kph or higher. The latest was just a couple of weeks ago at 85kph on a dirt Outback road in WA.

The 'roos have ranged in size; most were medium to large, but not huge. The noise of these impacts was considerable and in each case I was concerned at the possible damage done until I stopped to check the animal and the front end. There has been no damage whatsoever on any of these bars! One of the larger 'roos hit the drivers side section of the bar under the headlight area, still no damage at all!

All I can say is full credit to the ARB design team for building bars designed for this purpose without compromise. I know that no Mitsubishi OEM bars would have withstood these impacts without bent components and panel damage. I doubt that any alloy bar on the market would have survived these impacts either. A number of the other steel bars on the market would have also had no chance, as they have no strengthening in critical areas.

If you're looking for real frontal protection, particularly if you travel remotely and need to be able to continue driving your vehicle, you can't go past an ARB bull bar in my opinion.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Great to read. Thankful my Gen4 came with an ARB already on. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• damienpajero
      • Feb 2018
      • perth

My factory allow bar destroyed the front end of my car where the arial bracket was pushed into the bonnet and in turn took out my headlights quater panel and radiator support panel.

Comment

• Onslow
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

I'm under the impression that many people aren't aware of how their bull bar is designed - some are just designed for show or image, or to a price point. This is fine if you're just after a certain look and if you never travel in the Outback. But if you need to ensure that you remain mobile, with minimal damage, its worth looking into how a bar is designed and manufactured.
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

As you know, I'm well aware of how the ARB bar is designed...I have fatigue cracking again
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Onslow
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            As you know, I'm well aware of how the ARB bar is designed...I have fatigue cracking again
            You are kidding me??!!

Comment

• P4J3R0
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              Where?

Mine is going great, had a few hits, missing some paint, and it’s still great.

Is there a week point?
              NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                You are kidding me??!!
                Unfortunately not. Guess I travel country too rough, too often
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajaru
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Perth

Its good to know that the ARB bullbar do what there are designed to do. I have one on my Paj and lucky have not needed to find out although.

I have the same issue with the ARB bullbar brackets cracking which we only discovered just outside of Newman WA, last year (2017). Although the brackets were replaced under warranty after a lot of about and only though the help of a mate with contacts with ARB.
                  Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
                  To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel

Comment

• signo1985
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Perth

That leaves me with a question: am i better off without the bullbar?
                    Ok this is my firsr 4wd and it is only 4 weeks old (plus 98000km lol), but i live in perth, and apart from some beach driving and a few family weekend i dont see myself doing heaps of country kms.

I read a lot about people having issues with the arb bar (and bars in general)...

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                      That leaves me with a question: am i better off without the bullbar?
                      Ok this is my firsr 4wd and it is only 4 weeks old (plus 98000km lol), but i live in perth, and apart from some beach driving and a few family weekend i dont see myself doing heaps of country kms.

I read a lot about people having issues with the arb bar (and bars in general)...

Save your money. Do you really need another 40kg on the front? You will need different shockies/springs. If you were travelling outback a lot then they could be beneficial.
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Onslow
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        Save your money. Do you really need another 40kg on the front? You will need different shockies/springs. If you were travelling outback a lot then they could be beneficial.
                        I agree with Dicko. If you're not going bush a lot I wouldn't worry about a bar. Save the money and the weight.

Comment

• gemster
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Gold Coast

This is about my NL ARB Bar....I feel the ARB deluxe Bar is weak as .. I had a slight bingle and that bar caused way more damage than if I didn't have a bar at all.. folded up really well and destroyed Guard, headlight, bonnet, ect..... Now I have an alloy Bar and with some extra plates welded on, I feel it's a lot stronger.... I showed ARB the twisted, bent Bar and all they could say was Wow that bent up didn't it... They wanted $1200 for a new one but I said No thanks.. May-be the later Model Bars are stronger.

Gemster...
                          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• signo1985
                            • Sep 2017
                            • Perth

I thought so!!

The only problem is how and where fit all the different accessories that normally "sit" on the bullbar, like led lights sand flags etc

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X