Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Old 11-01-17
Administrator

For the record, I was not questioning the Y62's 4wd capability - it is a Patrol after all, and I'm certainly in no position to disrespect fully independent suspension.

My comment was based on Steve's love of remote area touring; the Y62's big petrol V8 and auto are not conducive to touring range, making it far from an ideal vehicle for Steve.

For towing something large & heavy I'm sure it performs well - although the thought of the fuel bills is somewhat scary.

Daily Driver: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 2.85 gears, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA.
Old 11-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paj man View Post
Good stuff mate

Although I think my next 4wd will be a Toyota, I have never found a reason to knock patrols. One of my bosses from a couple of years ago purchased a new patrol and kitted it up. Went very well off road, can't really argue with 2 live axles.

I think the earlier grenade 3.0L's have damaged the current engines rep - the new ones are fine and respond well to a bit of easy breathing (snorkel/exhaust).

Enjoy!

I looked at the 76 series and probably would have bought one if they came in an auto. I am wishing that the Patrol was upgraded with the Yank Titan V8 Diesel Engine, but alas its not to be. The accessory list that was added to the Legend series was extremely good value and is $10,000 that I won't need to spend on aftermarket gear. Bullbar, Winch, Snorkel, Roofrack etc all covered by Nissans warranty, really swayed the deal for me.

Yep, from everything I can find they are no longer the issue they once were. I have 6 years or 150k warranty on it, so should be ok if it does grenade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
what is the factory rated output of a newish patrol?
Its a whopping 118 Killer wasps of raw power If I start saving now, I'll probably be able to afford a 6.6 litreDuramax/Allison conversion when my warranty runs out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
For the record, I was not questioning the Y62's 4wd capability - it is a Patrol after all, and I'm certainly in no position to disrespect fully independent suspension.

My comment was based on Steve's love of remote area touring; the Y62's big petrol V8 and auto are not conducive to touring range, making it far from an ideal vehicle for Steve.

For towing something large & heavy I'm sure it performs well - although the thought of the fuel bills is somewhat scary.
Yep, in a nut shell thats it. They are a well proven offroad weapon with a driveline 2nd to none, I think for outback remote desert type stuff they are ideal. It is also a bonus that I am able to upgrade my GVM and strengthen the rear end at the same time to ensure it can handle the weight of additional fuel and water/supplies for extended offroad trips. This is something I struggled to do with the Paj and was always at the limits of its carrying abilities.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
Pedders 3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 Mickey T ATZ P3's | More to come
Old 12-01-17
Valued Member

Very jealous mate, I seriously wanted one but the missus wasn't interested in a truck so the Paj was the compromise.

You may have to stick with the Pajero crowd for trips but...not sure the patrol mob will welcome the mankini.
2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com
Old 12-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhyso View Post
Very jealous mate, I seriously wanted one but the missus wasn't interested in a truck so the Paj was the compromise.

You may have to stick with the Pajero crowd for trips but...not sure the patrol mob will welcome the mankini.
Hahahaha, yep, they may get a bit of a shock!

Pedders 3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 Mickey T ATZ P3's | More to come
Old 12-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
I looked at the 76 series and probably would have bought one if they came in an auto. I am wishing that the Patrol was upgraded with the Yank Titan V8 Diesel Engine, but alas its not to be. The accessory list that was added to the Legend series was extremely good value and is $10,000 that I won't need to spend on aftermarket gear. Bullbar, Winch, Snorkel, Roofrack etc all covered by Nissans warranty, really swayed the deal for me.

Yep, from everything I can find they are no longer the issue they once were. I have 6 years or 150k warranty on it, so should be ok if it does grenade!
Yeah I had my eye on them too but it's hard justifying that amount of money for something as basic as they are. That accessory pack sounds like a bargain and I like the warranty too.

Should be a bit of fun for you mate.

Now pending: Nothing
Old 12-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paj man View Post
. That accessory pack sounds like a bargain and I like the warranty too.
Should be a bit of fun for you mate.
The warranty cost me $2800 extra for an additional 3 years of Nissan factory warranty, I thought it was worth it though due to the ZD30's reputation. Time will tell I guess and the later ones seem to not have the same issues, but I'd rather be covered.

Old 12-01-17

I did some research when upgrading a couple years ago, the grenade bug indeed seems to be limited to the earlier DI models, particularly 01 era (bit my father hard a few years back after just coming off the oodnadatta) however the new ones as with all cars aren't without common (but far less serious) issues. Wouldn't worry about NADS with any CRD but from memory cracked intercooler among a few other issues are somewhat common (but not show stoppers - can always get home with the common issues from memory).

Some extremely useful threads if you haven't already found them:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...fo-well-89139/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...dations-89393/

Direct injection engine info for reference
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...en-info-88462/
Fitted: Mickey T STZs. Ultimate Suspension HD Kit. MM Towbar. OL Premium Post Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro w/ RFI CDQ5000 antenna. Rhino Rack tracks with crossbars. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. 2.5M ARB Awning. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Bulls-i Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Tyredog TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Warn XD9000 Winch.
Old 12-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC.Barky View Post
I did some research when upgrading a couple years ago, the grenade bug indeed seems to be limited to the earlier DI models, particularly 01 era (bit my father hard a few years back after just coming off the oodnadatta) however the new ones as with all cars aren't without common (but far less serious) issues. Wouldn't worry about NADS with any CRD but from memory cracked intercooler among a few other issues are somewhat common (but not show stoppers - can always get home with the common issues from memory).

Some extremely useful threads if you haven't already found them:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...fo-well-89139/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...dations-89393/

Direct injection engine info for reference
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...en-info-88462/
Cheers, for the links, I've been all over the Patrol 4x4 and Nissanpatrol.com forums. They have a pretty active community and a wealth of info. Which is good to see!

Old 13-01-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
Cheers, for the links, I've been all over the Patrol 4x4 and Nissanpatrol.com forums. They have a pretty active community and a wealth of info. Which is good to see!
Not to mention some of the good work the Western Patrol club has done over the years. I forgot to say congratulations - You'll be back

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 13-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
forgot to say congratulations - You'll be back
I never left, still have the NW but the Patrol will be around for quite a while I think.