• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glennie
    • Oct 2011
    • Wodonga Victoria

First Impressions of owning my 30th Anniversary NT

Well, we picked up our new 30th anniversary Pajero Friday 21st October and I thought I would give you my impressions of it after one week of ownership. Bought it from Knox, very happy with the deal and their attention to us throughout the process (Hello James). We picked it up last Friday and proceeded to put in a quick 1500 km up the coast to Mallacoota, returning via Dargo and Walhalla, so that we could get a 1500km service on Tuesday. We live 300km away at Wodonga and wanted the servicing to be done by Knox and what a perfect excuse to put up a few “K”s.

Our previous 4WD was a Nissan Patrol 2003 GU III and it felt big. A friend called it an aircraft carrier as he reckoned it was big enough to land an aeroplane on. First impressions of Pajero were that it was not a 4WD at all, it couldn’t be! It is too comfortable and civilised to be a 4WD. It doesn’t bump and lurch around enough, it must be a car. It is lighter handling, goes like sh*t off a shovel (Not that I was planting the foot at all, more like taking it gently) At this stage there is no apparent point where the car foes from wondering when the car will start accelerating to point where the turbo cuts in and it as if the fuse has ignited Kaboom. That is, it is much smoother and more drivable. It is comparably quieter than the Patrol to the point that I didn’t realise how noisy the BFG AT’s are. (They are fitted to both cars). Technology wise the Pajero is way ahead of the Patrol and Light years ahead of the 1991 Pajero V6 that we previously owned. I was initially overwhelmed with MMCS, the air-conditioning controls and the “wanker meters” above the MMCS (That’s what my wife calls them anyway). I am now getting my head around them and have found that actually reading the manuals has helped me to understand them. Arrived home on Tuesday evening after 5 days of fairly average weather and was ashamed how grotty it looked so first thing on Wednesday I gave it a tubbing. I don’t know whether it was the conditions we had in those five days but I did find that it took me two hours to clean it properly. It seemed to have a lot more nooks and crannies than the Patrol. For instance, the wheels took several minutes each to clean properly. I am appreciating the smaller physical dimensions of the Pajero, its quietness, better fuel economy and quality sound system. In some ways the GPS is better than my Hema navigator in that you can add waypoints to a destination, but I find it curious that your route is highlighted in blue. It is as if you are travelling along a river. I would like to see not only the next turn but the turn after that on the screen as the Hema navigator does and it would be nice to have Oziexplorer off road mapping there as well. Minor points really.

The H.I.D. headlights are really bright and white, a great improvement over anything I have ever owned before. don't think I will need any extra driving lights.

To sum up, it is all I could hope for at this stage. I hope I remain as happy with it later on as I am now. I was always happy with the 91 Pajero and thinking about it, wonder why I had the extramarital fling with Nissan.
    Regards,
    Glennie
    Last edited by Glennie; 28-10-11, 08:04 PM.
    NT 30th Anniversary D.I.D. Delivered 21st October 2011. Factory steel bull-bar, rear diff lock, Privacy glass on front windows, factory tow bar, Tekosha Prodigy electric brake controller, Safari snorkel and BFG A/T2s. 120AH Dual battery in rear well with Redarc BCDC 1220 battery controller, rear fridge sockets and Anderson plug. Provent Catch can, SPV EGR module, 58 litre LRA Auxiliary fuel tank, fitted at 40K. TJM Suspension Lift Towing Track Trailer Topaz 4 metre Cvan.
  • onallfour
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2010
    • Camden, Sydney

i understand how you feel about patrol v pajero. I drive a 3 litre patrol for work at about 2000kms per week and it is a pig and very uncomfortable comparing to my NT diesel. The pajero is a capable car and it is able to be taken to some hairy places and come out the other side just like the patrols and cruisers. You will enjoy your new toy and you are in a good forum to find out more about your car and what it can do for you.
    Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• Glennie
      • Oct 2011
      • Wodonga Victoria

Originally posted by onallfour View Post
      i understand how you feel about patrol v pajero. I drive a 3 litre patrol for work at about 2000kms per week and it is a pig and very uncomfortable comparing to my NT diesel. The pajero is a capable car and it is able to be taken to some hairy places and come out the other side just like the patrols and cruisers. You will enjoy your new toy and you are in a good forum to find out more about your car and what it can do for you.
      Thanks for the encouragement Onallfour.
      NT 30th Anniversary D.I.D. Delivered 21st October 2011. Factory steel bull-bar, rear diff lock, Privacy glass on front windows, factory tow bar, Tekosha Prodigy electric brake controller, Safari snorkel and BFG A/T2s. 120AH Dual battery in rear well with Redarc BCDC 1220 battery controller, rear fridge sockets and Anderson plug. Provent Catch can, SPV EGR module, 58 litre LRA Auxiliary fuel tank, fitted at 40K. TJM Suspension Lift Towing Track Trailer Topaz 4 metre Cvan.

Comment

• NTX
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by Glennie View Post
        Thanks for the encouragement Onallfour.
        After taking my NT shortie for a spin in the scrub for the first time, I realised I had been driving a B - double around for the previous 3 yrs. The B-double, otherwise known as a GUIV Patrol just seemed to make everything seem like hard work. Whilst looking the goods, it simply didn't deliver. The NT just ticks all the boxes with the minimum of fuss. You will grow to like your wheels more and more with each drive Glennie, good choice

Matt.
        2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Glennie
          • Oct 2011
          • Wodonga Victoria

Originally posted by NTX View Post
          After taking my NT shortie for a spin in the scrub for the first time, I realised I had been driving a B - double around for the previous 3 yrs. The B-double, otherwise known as a GUIV Patrol just seemed to make everything seem like hard work. Whilst looking the goods, it simply didn't deliver. The NT just ticks all the boxes with the minimum of fuss. You will grow to like your wheels more and more with each drive Glennie, good choice

Matt.
          Thanks Matt,
          I am sure I will, although I do admit the lifted GU never seemed to have a issue with ground clearance.
          regards,
          Glennie

Comment

• NTX
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2010
            • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by Glennie View Post
            Thanks Matt,
            I am sure I will, although I do admit the lifted GU never seemed to have a issue with ground clearance.
            regards,
            Glennie
            Yeah I drove a mates tricked 4.2 GU that had 2" lift, big wheels, recaro seat ++++ Through a river crossing that had destroyed one of my side steps and I barely had to slow down for it in his! I realised I needed to spend another 7k to bring mine up to scratch? The standard Paj really gives so much more than a standard Patrol. My thoughts anyway. I would be summonsed for excecution if the Nissan patrol forum blokes saw me write that. It would be jihad for sure!
            2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Glennie
              • Oct 2011
              • Wodonga Victoria

Originally posted by NTX View Post
              Yeah I drove a mates tricked 4.2 GU that had 2" lift, big wheels, recaro seat ++++ Through a river crossing that had destroyed one of my side steps and I barely had to slow down for it in his! I realised I needed to spend another 7k to bring mine up to scratch? The standard Paj really gives so much more than a standard Patrol. My thoughts anyway. I would be summonsed for excecution if the Nissan patrol forum blokes saw me write that. It would be jihad for sure!
              Horses for courses I reckon. My Patrol 50mm lift was about $1350.00 from memory and when I picked it up from Opposite like it was nearly 80mm. I reckon you could do a reasonable lift (50mm), rock sliders and underbody protection on the Pajero for a lot less that 7K and have a reasonably competent vehicle. Remember also that it will be a lot more comfortable, quieter, more economical and be more manoeuvrable than the Pootrol. Yay! I am born again! (2x Pajero, 1x Pootrol and now back in the fold with an NT)
              Regards,
              Glennie

Comment

• scrubba
                • Sep 2011
                • Newcastle

Hi Glennie,
                Our experience just about mirrors yours.
                We picked up our 30th aniversary NT on 19th Oct. Dealer must have spent well over an hour going through the handover with us. We also had 1500k on the clock within four days and we also changed (upgraded) from a 2003 GU III.
                Very different vehicles. It would be unfair to compare these two.
                I agree with your wife's analogy regarding the "wanker guages". How is barometric pressure useful to us while driving? And the altimeter - it told me I was at 950 mtrs above sea level while I was driving on Stockton beach! The 'distance remaining' for fuel is good though.
                I took the Pajero to Stockton in order to see how it goes on the sand. I've heard some bad accounts from people with the newer 4wd's (and Awd's) that have driver aids like stability control, traction control, hill decent aids and the like. I've seen it too - vehicles going nowhere because of all this electronic driver assist gadgetry. This was one of the reasons I kept the Patrol for so long - I was worried that newer vehicles had so much electronic assistance that it took all the four wheel drivability (if that's a valid term) away from the vehicles.
                Anyway, having done some research before I bought the Pajero, I knew to switch off the automatic stability control when I got on the beach. The Pajero drove the sand very well. The day was not without incident though. The wife took over the reins and at one stage hit the bottom of a fairly steep dune quite quickly. While the Pajero has a very good approach angle, the departure angle is crap. The ass end dug into the sand and we just about ripped the back bumper completely off. That thing is so flimsy and it behaves just like the shovel of a front-end loader when it touches the sand. I managed to patch it up pretty good once we got home. Not perfect, but good enough. No doubt it's gonna get damaged again pretty soon.
                I can't see the trailer plug lasting very long either if we don't find somewhere else to mount it before we take it off-road. I've moved it to the top of the mounting bracket now but I still think it's too exposed to damage. Anyone got any better ideas?

The Pajero drives and feels great on the road. More like a car than a capable off-roader. Fuel economy is great. All the technology is a pleasant change. We even bought an iPod just so we can use it in the Pajero. The HID low beam is excellent, as you say. Not real happy with the high beam but having the HID's stay on when the high beam is engaged makes a big difference. As a result I won't bother getting a set of driving lights for a while yet, if at all.
                Looking forward to see how she pulls the 19' Sterling van soon.

But now comes the hard part: electric brakes, dual battery, UHF, cabling to rear for engel and inverter, anderson plug to rear for the 180L van fridge (dunno where I'm gonna mount it), suspension upgrade... the list goes on. But I'm not gonna worry about a BBar, winch or snorkel just yet. I'm a bit past all that real tough stuff I did in the patrol. The Pajero seems too prim an propper to be taken to the dirty, filthy, rough and tumble places the Patrol used to get tortured in (it never complained though).

I might be bitchin while I'm doin but it is fun to personalise my fourby's with shitloads 'necessary' equipment.

Comment

• Glennie
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Wodonga Victoria

Originally posted by scrubba View Post
                  Hi Glennie,

I can't see the trailer plug lasting very long either if we don't find somewhere else to mount it before we take it off-road. I've moved it to the top of the mounting bracket now but I still think it's too exposed to damage. Anyone got any better ideas?

Looking forward to see how she pulls the 19' Sterling van soon.

But now comes the hard part: electric brakes, dual battery, UHF, cabling to rear for engel and inverter, anderson plug to rear for the 180L van fridge (dunno where I'm gonna mount it), suspension upgrade... the list goes on. But I'm not gonna worry about a BBar, winch or snorkel just yet. I'm a bit past all that real tough stuff I did in the patrol. The Pajero seems too prim an propper to be taken to the dirty, filthy, rough and tumble places the Patrol used to get tortured in (it never complained though).

I might be bitchin while I'm doin but it is fun to personalise my fourby's with shitloads 'necessary' equipment.
                  Here, here!
                  First thing did also, shifting the trailer socket to the top of the mounting bar. Why couldn't they have put the bracket higher? Where it is is the lowest part of the vulnerable rear end of the car.

I did put the Mitsubishi bull bar on. The MM bull bar was only one of two compliant to fit the NT with its headlight washers and H.I.D. lights the other I think was an ECB alloy bar and I didn't want to be a slave to polishing it regularly. It looks good with its ripple effect black paint but I bought it site unseen and on inspection it is a little light in construction compared to the likes of a ARB bar. Still, overall I am happy with it.

Yes, buying a new car is not the end of it, more like a raw canvass where we get to put our personal touch to it, making a statement so to speak. Customising it to our personal taste and perceived needs. Like yourself, I will have to go down the dual battery/Anderson plug and UHF radio fitting. I am undecided about suspension lifts and underbody protection as possibly like yourself I don't have the strong desire I once had to tackle a particularly challenging track just because it is there.

I am also keen to hook up our new Track Trailer Topaz caravan that we pick up in early December. The Topaz replaces a Tvan. This is just another indicator that I am getting older/wiser/soft. (Cross out those that you don't think apply)
                  Regards,
                  Glennie

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X