• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Renbukia
    • May 2018
    • BC, Canada

And yet another...Which one do I buy!?

Hello All,

Great forum you have here. I will definitely be sticking around after my purchase. I'm not in Aus, but here seems to be where all the Pajero experience lies.

I'm going to import from Japan to Canada, so I'm trying to gather as much knowledge as I can about the different models. We can get in anything 15 years old or older, so 2003. This gives me the choice between later model Gen 2's and early model Gen 3's! I'm aiming for diesel.

I like the old-school boxy look, and I like the supposedly easier mods of the Gen 2. Hearing that the 2.8 can be sluggish and thirsty makes me hesitate.
    The 3.2 however sounds like the better engine. I've heard some mention that it's not a backyard mechanic friendly vehicle, but others have contradicted this opinion, stating that the only part beyond backyard repair is the fuel pump if it goes.
    I don't like the soccer mom look of the Gen 3's as much... I also question traction control being as good as a later Gen 2 with diff lockers.
    I'm looking to use this Paj as my daily driver and work vehicle(carpentry). I'd pull the rear most seats and store tools, safely locked in the truck. The second use would be to pull the tools and fit a rear kitchen and a rooftop tent, and then head out on bushy 4x4 adventures. Might even head up to Alaska some day.
    I don't plan on anything out of the ordinary with mods. A 2-3" suspension upgrade, up to 33" tires, heavy duty roof rack, bush bar and some lights.
    So bring on the opinions folks! Gen 2, likely NL model, or Gen 3 3.2 DiD? Whatever it is will have fewer that 130K km's.

Cheers!
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

The 2.8 you would get from Japan will be the one with the electronic pump. They actually go pretty well and would easily compare to the 1st of the 3.2’s, rated at 140hp. I had one with this engine and was very happy with its performance. The reason they go well is the gearing, they had the same gear ratios at as the less powerful ones, the downside was highway driving, 3000 rpm at 110-120kmh. There is quite a bit of info on them on the UK Pajero forum as they had a lot of them there.

I certainly wouldn’t be put off a gen 2, as a vehicle they are bloody robust, you may need to factor leaking fuel pump seals and a head gasket/head for the 2.8, a lot of the jap import ones we got in NZ had done not many km but a lot of short start stop running, both those are not deal breakers if you get a good vehicle. 33’s will pretty much go straight on as well.
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• XTV
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide Hills

NJV6
      Not sure about Canadian requirements other than the great majority of vehicles I have seen there are Left Hand Drive, but I'm sure you realise that a Japanese import is very likely to be Right Hand Drive.

Comment

• benckj
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2017
        • Alexandra , New Zealand

I’ve imported a couple of vehicles myself from Japan. On the bad side they often do little maintenance so factor in full fluid & filter replacement, MMCS is in Japanese along with radio frequencies and as pointed out are RHD. On a positive note are generally low miliage and rarely been off road. Just make sure you don’t get one with rust as they use salt in the Northern part for ice clearing.

Comment

• Renbukia
          • May 2018
          • BC, Canada

NJV6, thank you for the positivity and info. Is that gearing an issue with just the AT, or MT as well? Wish there was a 5sp AT... We do have a 120km hwy near here that we use often. I guess I'd be that guy who's going way under the speed limit to save fuel.
          I would definitely go for one with fewer than 120K on it and hope that it hasn't been overheated in it's lifetime. I've rebuilt a couple of engines so no issues replacing seals and such if it was an issue. Is there an EGR system that plugs up on the late 98-99 NL?

Comment

• Renbukia
            • May 2018
            • BC, Canada

XTV - yes I am aware of the RHD and they are for the time being legal here in Canada.

benckj - I have heard that they do need all fluids and filters right away, as well as timing chain guides and other preventative maintenance, which I would do anyway for peace of mind. Not sure if there's any way to tell where in Japan the auctioned vehicles are from.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Yes there was EGR on them. The UK forum is the place to find info on these motors, known as the EDC pump. I remember something about them not being as simple to block as the earlier ones where you just pulled the air line that activated it off!
              The autos are higher geared which is good but not by a huge amount. The JDM lwb models all had 4.900 diff ratios, 33’s will help with road speed and /or changing to 4.636 diffs is a pretty simple swap and there would be a few floating around over there I’d say as that’s what the petrols probably had.
              1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
              1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
              2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X