• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blutak
    • Oct 2013
    • Bunbury WA

If you have an LSD READ THIS!!!

Hi all, I have been scrounging the forums recently as my 1990 NG EXE (named Blutak as she is blue and held together by her namesake) had a wonderful ability to lose traction on diagonal wheels at every opportunity. As i had seen the LSD sticker on the rear diff my opinion of mitsubishi LSD's was not high.

I stumbled across a patrol forum (know thine enemy...) that had a thread on ways to improve the patrol LSD and they operate in the same manner, both being cam\ramp type and operating metal clutch packs.

Now, the spanner twirlers among us know well the effects of varnish on engine internals. I personally had not thought about it where the drivetrain was concerned.

Upon inspection of the diff oil, it was black. Very heavily oxidised and had me wondering if it had ever been replaced!

These guys on the patrol forum had the idea of putting a bottle of engine cleaner in the LSD to remove any varnish.
    As any good Paj owner would, immediately thought that if you are silly enough to buy a patrol, you're silly enough to put engine oil treatment in a diff.

After once again getting bogged on the dunes with only one front and one rear buried, I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a try. If it killed the diff, I'd get a locker.

Checked the oil level, drained out 300 ml of old oil and put the additive in (I used Liqui Moly Engine Oil Flush)

The results are incredible! I have gone from having a diff that was all but open, to a LSD that has enough balls in it to let me undo wheelnuts with the handbrake off. It is that simple! The morning after i had added it, i jacked up one rear and the amount of extra force required to overcome the pre-load was significantly higher (I hadn't even driven it). After a couple of days driving, the amount of extra force required was stunning! It was becoming quite hard to rotate by hand.

I have had it in for a bit over 500 KMs, no noises, no shuddering, no ill effects whatsoever. And i have been working the diff VERY hard in an attempt to get the treatment between the clutch plates. This includes a sideways moment into a mound of dirt that gave me a flat and a leak in the left rear axle seal. Read the details on the thread i made earlier!

Anyway, I will be dropping the old diff oil tomorrow and putting in some Penrite 85w 140; Heavier grade than recommended, i know. Apparently it helps limit slip a little further, but i mainly want the extra thickness for shock proofing the gears in the rear diff. The old leaf sprung rears get some fearsome axle tramp up when you get a bit of wheelspin up. I will, when budget permits, be moving to redline shock proof oil. It gives the same shear strength as 85w 140 but flows as easily as 85w 90. If the info on it is accurate, it will give me the same benefits as the thicker stuff without the power loss.

Seriously, if anyone is about to do a diff oil change, go and get a bottle of engine oil flush and stick it in a week before. I would not recommend leaving it in for more than 500 to 1000 km's as the oil will be diluted by it. Also, even though i have had no problems, I would not recommend shock loading the diff whilst the treatment is in there. The dilution won't affect lubrication much, but the shear strength of the oil will be reduced significantly. Put simply, the oil will be a bit thinner, so metal parts will still slide freely but the thinner oil will be squeezed out from between gear teeth and splines if you shock load the diff (eg, wheel hopping, clutch drops, etc) which will cause metal to metal contact which is bad.

I will update you soon on the final outcome!
    Last edited by Blutak; 03-11-13, 03:28 AM.
    Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
    Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
    Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.
  • Stevie-Ray
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Wouldn't recommend leaving it in too long either, as the once glazed clutch-plates (zero friction), might end up glued together by the gunk (zero slippage),
    Hope you don't find any stray pieces of clutch-plate like I once did when changing the diff oil on Pathfinder!

Cleaning diff like that could also be used as a technique for when you're not sure whether it's an LSD or not!
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Blutak
      • Oct 2013
      • Bunbury WA

I put the old girl back together with a fresh load of oil and quite frankly I am stunned at the difference. With the new oil it is better again! Went around the corner to my little test track, a soft, sandy hill climb littered with holes and tree roots. In the past I have been cross axled at the top. The roots and holes arent momentum friendly, so the suspension would cop it.

Today it dug it's way up and over without me even having to lock the hubs. A couple of leans on the handbrake (no I don't mean the wife) when the rear was lifting wheels and hey presto, more ability in 2wd than it originally had in 4 low. I think it must be a case of the patrol owners coming up with every means of keeping up with us paj drivers.
      Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
      Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I'm impressed!

Such a simple idea, not particularly difficult, and a dramatic improvement in performance.

Thanks for posting.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dbomba
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Homebase Sydney

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
          I think it must be a case of the patrol owners coming up with every means of keeping up with us paj drivers.
          Im mystified by your statement.
          Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
          Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

• Blutak
            • Oct 2013
            • Bunbury WA

The meaning of my poke at patrol owners (and cruiser owners) is based on the fact that I bought a 2500 dollar 4 cylinder pajero that everyone takes the mickey out of until they are on tbe end of my snatch strap. I figure that they can't be all that sensible to buy such expensive vehicles based upon mythical performance off road. Given that they obviously lack sense, the fact that they have come up with such a simple and effective fix for poor lsd performance is based upon their need to keep up with vehicles that they see as inferior. It can't be raw intelligence. They'd be driving a pajero if they were that smart.

In a nut shell, I'm raving random rubbish.

Comment

• dbomba
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Homebase Sydney

I had a NL for years, paid a lot more than $2500, and have had to be pulled out on a few occassions. Guess I shouldnt have bought the NL.
              Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
              Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

• Gus
                Administrator
                • Mar 2008
                • Traralgon. Vic

Tongue in cheek dbomba is how it was meant..
                VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• bakerboy
                  "valued 3000+ member"
                  • May 2008
                  • Perth

looks like owning a patrol has got to him :P
                  If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Blutak
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Bunbury WA

Who me? Own a patrol? Not on your nelly! I got bought up in a 1983 L300 express 4x4 and have always wanted the last of the gen 1's as they were the most evolved. The 2.6 was the best option as I know the engine well after having a scorpion and rebuilding it. Plus you get a nice flat tourque curve similar to the td with peak power not that far off the 3L v6. No computer too.

One of my mates has a dsl patrol, after being snatched off the beach a couple of times by me, he responded with a giant set of 35s. Got stuck again. I pulled him out again. On my bald 205r 16's.

I keep telling them, pajero is the spanish translation for the word they say at me when they're stuck and I'm not.

Comment

• Blutak
                      • Oct 2013
                      • Bunbury WA

Hi again all! Away from picking on other brands and back on topic, a day has passed and the diff has settled. The pre load has dropped a little now that new lubricant has worked its way between the plates. It now takes 110 NM of torque to overcome the pre load. According to factory specs, the pre load should be around 100NM. No reduction in limited slip effect when loaded. Accidentally backed off a trolley jack that I forgot to remove before a test drive .

Not bad for a diff that has seen more than 412,000 km of service!

No ill effects after my brush with the berm. New oil seal is sealing. I did notice the other side is showing traces of a weep. Can't figure why things are meant to be replaced as pairs...

Comment

• Blutak
                        • Oct 2013
                        • Bunbury WA

Another update on the diff!

I am now doing stuff in hi range 2wd that I was previously having trouble with in
                        4 low.

I was lifting fronts on lennards track the other night and I hadn't bothered to lock the hubs. Before in the same spot I had diagonal wheels spinning and had to back up and do it on momentum.

Still want a lokka in the front tho

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Gold Coast

Hi Blutak, Enjoying your enthusiastic reports. Just wanted to say I too use Penrite LS140 in my LSD. Also added one 250ml bottle of Penrite LIMSLIP additive 7098. Got this advice from DIFFLAP Brisbane in 2011 and fixed my slight diff chatter instantly.
                          Also, the comment from bakerboy about "owning a patrol has got to him" refers to dbomba not yourself. Read dbomba signature at bottom line and you will see he now drives a Warn winch....with a 2010 Patrol at the other end!! Love the humor.
                          99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Blutak
                            • Oct 2013
                            • Bunbury WA

Ahh... I thought he was referring to the fact that patrols spend their lives at the end of a pajeros winch...

Comment

• Ryan175
                              • Mar 2019
                              • BRIGHTON EAST

Hi Blutak, I know its been a while but I've been trying to chase down whether my 1986 NC Paj has an LSD or not. My rear diff has the sticker on it saying to use only LSD oil with an LSD but does this actually mean it is an LSD or is it a warning put on all the paj diffs at that time? I had the rear wheels off the ground and when I spun one forwards the other went backwards so I assumed it wasn't an LSD but after reading your post I have hope again.
                              Thanks,
                              Ryan
                              1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X