• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dion
    Valued Member
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

The resale and warranty thing I reckon is what plays into Toyotas hands for people who lease the vehicles. I'd like to look at the numbers but I reckon there are more Pajs owned "outright" so to speak than Prados.

If you're only keeping the vehicle for 3 years and then turn it over for a new one, Toyotas are appealing - high resale, low servicing costs over 3yrs, and no doubt a generous fleet discount up front.

If you're buying to own for 4-6-10 years then the Pajero IMHO makes a good case in some areas.

For me I turn vehicles over no earlier than 5-6 years (and paid outright) and thus the lower upfront purchase price and longer warranty appealed.

The plastics comment is me comparing to my VW Jetta. Its 5.5 years old and the interior looks new. The Pajero already looks older, even though its not year 2yrs old. Stuff like lower bottom doors and the dash plastics near knees marks too easily for my liking.
    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

I believe the supposed 'higher resale value' of a Toyota is a bit of a fallacy.
      Yes, an equivalent aged Prado will fetch about $10K more on the used market compared to a Pajero.
      But.... The Toyota would have also been about $10K more to buy new.
      The good old 'Toyota Tax'!
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Dion
        Valued Member
        • May 2010
        • Brisbane

And the biggest reason not to buy a Prado ... they're so common!

(That's my Paj on the right, taken on a recent trip to Sydney somewhere near Newcastle)

I thought maybe it was a Pradopoint club trip to the local Westfield or something, but they didn't have any stickers ...
        Attached Files
        2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Originally posted by Dion View Post
          And the biggest reason not to buy a Prado ... they're so common!

(That's my Paj on the right, taken on a recent trip to Sydney somewhere near Newcastle)

I thought maybe it was a Pradopoint club trip to the local Westfield or something, but they didn't have any stickers ...
          Jeez ,who taught you how to park .
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Bundyk
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2012
            • North Nowra

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
            Dave
            He didnt want the Paj to catch Prado-itis. Tends to make vehicles heavy and lethargic.
            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Dion
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
              Dave

I saw how badly that last Prado parked so gave him as wide a berth as possible ....

Plus I had to repack the back seat of the car so needed to be able to open the door fully and remove a kid seat ....

Comment

• Doggy
                • Apr 2011
                • Mount Evelyn

Thanks for all the feedback, informative and entertaining! I think I can get the Paj over the line with the missus. Now just to decide a Platinum or Activ...

The only difference as far as I can tell is (Activ) has nudge bar, DVD and ability for long range tank, whereas Platinum has rear air con, auto wipers/lights. Am I missing something?
                12 NW Active DiD
                01 Pajero exceed
                65 XP falcon wagon
                10 suby forrester turbo

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Cairns

Don't let the rear aircon discourage you. There are a few manufacturers, including LRA that make a 60L tank that is suitable for fitment to Pajero's with rear air. This will give you a capacity of approx 150L.
                  But vehicles without the rear air can accept the larger 81L Aux tank, approx 170L total.
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Bundyk
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • North Nowra

Originally posted by Doggy View Post
                    Thanks for all the feedback, informative and entertaining! I think I can get the Paj over the line with the missus. Now just to decide a Platinum or Activ...

The only difference as far as I can tell is (Activ) has nudge bar, DVD and ability for long range tank, whereas Platinum has rear air con, auto wipers/lights. Am I missing something?
                    Not really. The platinum also has the chrome grille and door mirror caps, where the Activ has a black grille and colour coded (?) mirror caps. Activ can be optioned with rear air con. Think this also includes rear diff lock.
                    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Phil
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
                      He didnt want the Paj to catch Prado-itis. Tends to make vehicles heavy and lethargic.

Brought on by paying more, getting less
                      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• likatiger
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • WAMBERAL NSW

I thought he parked very sensibly, I will always look for opportunities to park further from the next vehicle if possible. Some people don't give a rats about opening their doors against other people's cars, not to mention little kids innocently and accidentally opening a door too quickly.

BTW, agree with all said about this post.

Go! Pajeros.
                        NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• twoar
                          • Feb 2012
                          • rowville, vic

Originally posted by likatiger View Post
                          I thought he parked very sensibly, I will always look for opportunities to park further from the next vehicle if possible. Some people don't give a rats about opening their doors against other people's cars, not to mention little kids innocently and accidentally opening a door too quickly.

BTW, agree with all said about this post.

Go! Pajeros.
                          ^^^^^
                          what he said!

NW vs active? personal choice and needs, I wanted to buy stock and mod later on.... I needed rear air for Kids and great dane = platinum

Comment

• Doggy
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Mount Evelyn

Order placed for an Activ today! Missus happy, all good. Now, what to do with the NM exceed....it's really in good nick and 200 thou is reasonable for its age, shame to see it go. Maybe keep and do all the mods that she was loathed to drive around with every day hmmmm.
                            12 NW Active DiD
                            01 Pajero exceed
                            65 XP falcon wagon
                            10 suby forrester turbo

Comment

• Bundyk
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • North Nowra

Originally posted by Doggy View Post
                              Order placed for an Activ today! Missus happy, all good. Now, what to do with the NM exceed....it's really in good nick and 200 thou is reasonable for its age, shame to see it go. Maybe keep and do all the mods that she was loathed to drive around with every day hmmmm.
                              Sounds like a brilliant plan. Thats what we are looking at doing when we finally update.
                              Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• Bitsamissin
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Melbourne

IMHO the biggest issue with any Prado is the "marginal" drive train.
                                Weak front and rear diffs constant 4wd adding more load on an already marginal front diff, high angle front CV's, overheating autos etc.
                                I just wouldn't trust one in the bush but that's just me.
                                There are countless stories of these things self destructing many from Pajero Club members. Then there are the D4D injector issues which are well documented.
                                The Toyota unbreakable tag is an absolute marketing myth swallowed hook line and sinker by the lemmings.

My 2IC at work just bought a new bells and whistles 150 with the wizz bang suspension etc. I almost talked him into a Paj and he even admitted the bang for buck factor was very high but still decided on the 150. Still feels wallowy to drive even with the KDS compared to my lifted NP.
                                There are some good points like the NVH, fit and finish especially the interior plus I like the front mount intercooler and engine bay arrangement.
                                The D4D is way too underpowered and the 3rd row seats are just too high but a good idea for ease of use (his are electrically operated). Also there is very good adjustment for the 2nd row seats.
                                The 150ltr tank is a moot point for me unless your outback touring where there is 1000K's between fuel stops it really has no practical use.
                                I think it's a comparo between fit and finish with attention to detail vs outright drivetrain strength, dynamics, reliability and bang for buck factor.
                                Last edited by Bitsamissin; 15-08-12, 07:53 PM.
                                NP Clacker Jabber

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X