• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doggy
    • Apr 2011
    • Mount Evelyn

NW Paj vs Prado

Hey there,

We are tossing up between an NW Platinum and a GXL Prado for my missus, she currently has an NM exceed with impco gas injection and 2" lift, light etc.

I know asking this question on the Paj forum will probably lead to one answer, however I'm sure others have had this same question. I'm leading towards the Paj as the current was has been great. The missus also liked the drive of the Paj better, plus more bang for ya buck. Will mainly be used for daily drive and towing a couple of horses

If anyone has pros and cons that would lend weight to my Paj argument it would be appreciated.

Cheers
    12 NW Active DiD
    01 Pajero exceed
    65 XP falcon wagon
    10 suby forrester turbo
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

The Prado is overpriced, underpowered, overrated, overweight and handles like a big blob of jelly. Good NVH, a bit more back seat room,and a toyota badge are the good things though.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Bundyk
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2012
      • North Nowra

Points in favour of the Paj:

Cheaper,
      More power and torque
      Better fuel economy
      More options (as you are talking a Platinum)
      Better warrantee
      Much better looks IMO
      More comfortable (again, IMO. I am a big bloke though)
      Drives better
      Lower boot floor
      Remove rear seats for even more storage
      Rear Air Con (dont think a GXL Prado has it, never paid that much attention)

Points for the Prado:

Long range fuel tank,
      Engine a little quieter
      Umm...

These differences are my point of view only and, naturally, everyone is entitled the theirs.
      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• 03EXCEED
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • Cairns

My brother in law just bought a new Prado, He likes it, said it drives nice, but also said he will never take it offroad, it's just a shopping trolley.

They might be alright around town and stuff. You are right with getting the one answer though on a Paj forum. lol I would have to agree with the above comment.

I bet this didn't help you one bit, lol. Go the Paj!
        03 Exceed Np 3.5 petrol - 2" lovells HD all round, snorkel, tx3500 uhf, maxxis bighorns, ORU 12000lb winch, ARB combo bar, 55w hid spots, Bushskinz bash plates, electronic rust protection, DIY torque converter lock up, JVC bluetooth stereo, reverse camera, navman gps with hema maps.

Comment

• Doggy
          • Apr 2011
          • Mount Evelyn

Thanks Bundy, all good points. I think the 3 tonne vs 2.5 towing will also help my argument.
          12 NW Active DiD
          01 Pajero exceed
          65 XP falcon wagon
          10 suby forrester turbo

Comment

• Bundyk
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2012
            • North Nowra

Originally posted by Doggy View Post
            Thanks Bundy, all good points. I think the 3 tonne vs 2.5 towing will also help my argument.
            No probs, forgot about the towing bit.
            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Dion
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Brisbane

Some cons of the Pajero ...

- Cheap quality interior plastics that scratch easily
              - Not as big a range of extras from the big companies
              - Only 5spd auto
              - Extensive towing and IRS rear needs to be managed well with airbags/ suspension

Cons of the Prado:
              - Expensive
              - Stupid 7-seater design with seats on top of floor
              - Underpowered - the TD is old and while it was good in the 120 struggles with the 150s weight
              - Low seating position needed to get legroom in front if you're tall

I ended up with the Pajero (obviously). I was to-ing and fro-ing the pros and cons but one of the big deciders was my wife's opinion - she hated the Prado's driving experience (reckoned it reminded her of our badly handling XJ Cherokee! ... I think she was being a bit harsh) but anyway, she ruled it out immediately after a test drive.
              2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• reformedjeeper
                • Jun 2012
                • Ballarat Vic

Doggy, for all the above mentioned I have just traded my Jeep on one.
                However, if you purchase an Active (no rear aircon) you can add an 80Lt LRA (Lillydale) long range fuel tank, perhaps not important to your wife, but highly recommended if you plan to tow a caravan.
                Regards and best wishes Johnv,

2012 NW Active, Ironbark, 3.2 DiD Auto

Tow Bar, Nudge Bar, Cooper AT3 265/65R17 LT, CB Radio, Redarc Indash Brake Controller, AutoSafe Cargo Barrier, 2-Auxilary Battery System w/Redarc Isolator, Custom Storage Unit, 50mm / 300kg OME Suspension with Firestone Airbags.
                81 Lt Auxilary Fuel Tank by Long Range Automotive, Lillydale (Vic)

Comment

• marquis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Newcastle

If no rear air con the pajero can be fitted with a 81L LRA tank for about $1700. Towing range will be over 1000km to 1200km with a 2.5t caravan at 90kph, more with a smaller lighter trailer.

With all main mods and towing a 1t camper should get 12.5L to 13.5L per 100km at 95 to 100kph
                  Last edited by marquis; 12-08-12, 08:59 AM.
                  --
                  Marquis
                  SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• Quietguy
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Forster, NSW

[QUOTE=Doggy;230047]Hey there,

We are tossing up between an NW Platinum and a GXL Prado for my missus, she currently has an NM exceed with impco gas injection and 2" lift, light etc.

I know asking this question on the Paj forum will probably lead to one answer, however I'm sure others have had this same question. I'm leading towards the Paj as the current was has been great. The missus also liked the drive of the Paj better, plus more bang for ya buck. Will mainly be used for daily drive and towing a couple of horses

I went through this decision a little while ago, and in the end for me the Pajero won out because of its abiliy to tow a van well, much better than the Prado. And as I will be doing the trip around the block with a 21ft van the Paj tow ability sealed the deal.

However, I reckoned the Prado is a much nicer car to drive - being quiet and comfortable, with Toyotas build quality and proven reliability it would have won out if I was just doing a lot of non-towing km. Also, having driven a Toyota 4WD for the past 20 years (and 480,000km) without a breakdown or major fault and still running well I am a Toyota fan.

So for me the answer is... towing 25% = PAJERO TOWING 5% = PRADO

But of course thats me, not you

David

Comment

• Jenko67
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Brisbane

I had the same problem last year... To me the Prado GXL is like a poverty pack compared to the features of the Pajero RX2 that we bought.... at the time Toyota were not doing deals either so i bought the pajero for 10K cheaper.... happy as... We have a new GXL Prad at work and the pajero drives heaps better....
                      2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Doggy View Post
                        Hey there,

If anyone has pros and cons that would lend weight to my Paj argument it would be appreciated.

Cheers
                        vvvvvvvvvv

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
                        Points in favour of the Paj:

Cheaper,
                        More power and torque
                        Better fuel economy
                        More options (as you are talking a Platinum)
                        Better warrantee
                        Much better looks IMO
                        More comfortable (again, IMO. I am a big bloke though)
                        Drives better
                        Lower boot floor
                        Remove rear seats for even more storage
                        Rear Air Con (dont think a GXL Prado has it, never paid that much attention)

Points for the Prado:

Long range fuel tank,
                        Engine a little quieter
                        Umm...

These differences are my point of view only and, naturally, everyone is entitled the theirs.
                        A good family friend of mine just purchased a Prado..

Although he has admitted the Pajero was a better vehicle in all areas apart from the Prado being quieter in tha cabin..

His reason.. "Just couldn't bring myself to purchase a Mitsubishi branded vehicle.

My comment to him was

Gus.
                        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Cairns

It's a no-brainer to me.
                          The only thing the Prado has going for it is the 150L fuel capacity. But as others have said, this is easily remedied on the Paj for $1500 to $1700 with a LRA tank.
                          The Prado is overpriced compared to the Pajero and Toyota still only give 3 years and 100000km warranty which is to be honest, sh1t in this day and age. Do they not trust their product?
                          All common rail Toyota's also appear to be plagued with injector related problems. You don't hear on here of people with common rail DiD's complaining of injector related issues. Bad luck for you if you own a Toyota with injector issues and you are outside of your piddly little warranty.....
                          I have a good friend with a 120 series D4D, he got told last week that his #4 injector is on its way out, his car has not even hit 100000km yet.
                          And comparing his Prado to my Pajero, Mitsubishi just seem to have designed things better from a maintenance point of view. Things like oil filters, fan belts etc etc are a far easier job on the Mitsubishi.
                          As for tacky interior plastics that are easily scratched and scuffed, all modern cars have seemed to go down that path. Toyota seemed to pioneer the sh1t plastic trend though. Go and take a look at a 2003 - 2006 120 series compared to a 2003 - 2006 NP Paj. The interior of the NP Paj may not look as 'flash', but it is far hardier.
                          If the price and warranty of the Toyota was on Par with the Mitsubishi there would be some competition. Not at the moment though.....
                          Cheers, Dan.
                          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• achjimmy
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • Blue Mtns

Having had a new prado for a few days in NZ this week, it was interesting to drive one again. This was the VX. The noise levels and ride were great, it handled better than I remembered. There is more room in them, and more around your legs, although to raise the seat only lifts the back so it tips you forward. This was the kiwi model without aux tank and the spare fitted underneath instead. What a pleasure to open the door without needing the strength of Atlas at times, the tailgate window also lifts up but TBH is too high to be of real use. All the comments above are valid. It certainly doesn’t have the acceleration and power of the Pajero but it has enough to pull itself around nicely and it delivers its power smoothly. The auto was good although 2 yrs ago when I back to backed them the Pajeros Asin made the Toyotas box feel rough.
                            My Pajero at 20k had more rattles than my kluger had at 120k, the Prado has that same feel I think would be much more solid. Under the bonnet is roomier and tidier than the Pajero and fitting accessories (toys) would be more fun and easier. TBH I was quite taken and will be considering one again in 12 months when my current lease is up. The concerns/drawbacks for me will be the 2.5t tow rating (but the Paj also here as I don’t consider dropping the ball rating an option) the power, and the fact that I have seen some dead D4D’s in Hilux’s lately!!!! And the obvious Toyota badge tax.

Have fun don’t reckon you go wrong with either.

edit when i say new it had 4k on it. also being a rental used for ski season the back cargo area had a fair few scuffs already and i dont reckon the plastic will hang in any better.
                            Last edited by achjimmy; 12-08-12, 10:40 AM.
                            Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                            MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                            99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• JoshF
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Brisbane

If you read other forums one of the biggest factors is the resale value, because you pay more you can except a higher trade value....seems logical too me except 10k more to get less seems like strange logic.
                              NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                              Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X