Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Help needed to get rusted in tow hitchout (NW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I wouldn’t use a ‘shock load’, just tension now that you have been soaking it for a while.

For example, I would use chain (or something else non elastic line a tree trunk protector) between the hitch tongue an an immovable object (tree, stobi poll, etc), just apply a little bit of tension (like having the engine running, in drive but with the brakes off - and obviously an assistant in the car!), and then bash the hitch tongue with a mallet (up & down, and sideways).

If this doesn’t work I think you’ll either have to give up or resort to cutting.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Just remember as well, the transmission in these can handle towing tonnes of load up hill/4x4ing, let alone get a 2 tonne+ car going fast on take off up a hill, so using car it to put some pressure on this won't hurt it. I agree with geopaj-doing that will be the easiest way in comparison to the work you'll have to do to remove it, and I think will be much more effective

Comment

• HomerJ
        • Jul 2009
        • Warrnambool, Vic

I had the same problem with mine, but Inox and a hammer worked. Maybe try getting some rust converter in there and using an air chisel to vibrate/break up the rust after it's soaked.

Comment

• wazznt
          • May 2015
          • Western Vic

Yield is a very good penetrating fluid for stuck and rusted things .
          NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• skins2380
            • Jun 2015
            • ACT

stuck Hitch

Edzhere,

How did you go getting the hitch out mate.

Comment

• pneumatic
              • Oct 2019
              • Camp Mountain

I recently bought an NS that was used to launch boats in salt water, the tongue was stuck.

I got it out with wd40 and lots of hammering, mostly on the tow ball nut. I was going to put the ball on upside down to give something better to hit, but the ball was seized on its thread too. Eventually the hammering worked.

I ended up also removing the whole tow bar. I have an exceed and undid the two inner bolts of the rear AC, to allow it to lower a little. The tow bar bolts could then slide over it. The exhaust didn't need to be touched (petrol).

My tow bar was poorly painted (it was peeling in lots of places), not powdered coated. I removed all the paint and repainted it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by pneumatic View Post
                I recently bought an NS that was used to launch boats in salt water, the tongue was stuck.

I got it out with wd40 and lots of hammering, mostly on the tow ball nut. I was going to put the ball on upside down to give something better to hit, but the ball was seized on its thread too. Eventually the hammering worked.

I ended up also removing the whole tow bar. I have an exceed and undid the two inner bolts of the rear AC, to allow it to lower a little. The tow bar bolts could then slide over it. The exhaust didn't need to be touched (petrol).

My tow bar was poorly painted (it was peeling in lots of places), not powdered coated. I removed all the paint and repainted it.

With the amount of rust in the photo I would have replaced it. It will be no where near its rated strength..
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• pneumatic
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Camp Mountain

The tongue will get replaced (although it's fine for a light box trailer at the moment), I was talking about the whole tow bar assembly regarding the repainting. It had relatively minor pitting compared to the tongue.

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

I put the electrical plug on top of the metal lug for better protection, as it is rather exposed where the dealers install it - easy to do, undo 2 nuts, flip it over, do nuts up.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pneumatic
                      • Oct 2019
                      • Camp Mountain

I need to buy a new one, the bolt lugs broke so it's temporarily zip tied on. All the electrical connections are quite corroded too.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        With the amount of rust in the photo I would have replaced it. It will be no where near its rated strength..
                        There not expensive.
                        That is stuffed agreed, completely knackered
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Keithyv
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2018
                          • Perth

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                          I put the electrical plug on top of the metal lug for better protection, as it is rather exposed where the dealers install it - easy to do, undo 2 nuts, flip it over, do nuts up.
                          Yes, crazy how they do it, hanging down reducing the departure angle like that..
                          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Pushbike
                            • Jun 2017
                            • Sydney

On the subject of towbars:
                            Have a look at this story.
                            Sarah Tonkin and her baby son were travelling on a road west of Melbourne when part of a tow bar, dropped by another vehicle, bounced and smashed through her car's windscreen.
                            Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                            Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
                              On the subject of towbars:
                              Have a look at this story.
                              https://www.smh.com.au/national/vict...14-p53k0p.html

Freak accident. I say bullshit! Anyone with a little bit of commonsense would know the condition of their towbar. Something must have been very loose or rusty for a towbar to fall off...lack of maintenance. This was a totally preventable accident.
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                                • Sep 2019
                                • NZ

Probably fixed now, however. Back in the 60s at my work we use to heat the external steel (ie the box) then used a dry ice extinguisher on the internal steel (ie the removable hitch). Always worked. My thinking is on a very hot Aussie day the dry ice would be enough. I think a slightly slack chain about a 2in drop in the chain would help the extraction.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X