• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

When do you really need a Chainsaw?

I'm not asking about firewood gathering for making a fire but for situations when roads are blocked with fallen trees & logs etc.

Do you carry a Chainsaw for such situations?
    What size chainsaw is recommended?
    What about hand bow saws?

I just can't see justifying spending the money on a chainsaw & trying to find a place to store it in a completely cramped wagon & spending the time maintaining the thing.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

yeah I carry a bowsaw. Chainsaw takes up too much space as you say , smells & leaks fluids etc. Would probably be ok if you had an off road trailer though.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Amok
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

If you spend a lot of time in national forests you may come across a fallen tree blocking your path, usually the main paths are clear so unless you like exploring side tracks you'll probably be ok.

Also battery chainsaws are pretty good now but expensive. Saves space without the need for petrol.

Go the bowsaw
      MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

Go to the high country first weekend after opening and you'll see why you need one, at least one per group.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Depends on where you do your off-roading, and whether you are in a group with someone who does have a saw. If you spend a bit of time in forests like the vhc, it's only a matter of time before you strike a blocked track. I reckon the first time you have to clear a 2 foot tree with a bow saw you will wish you had a chainsaw.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Pajaru
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2013
            • Perth

We carry an axe and a small saw for track clearing most of the time, the exception to this is when we head along the Old Hyden-Norseman which we also carry a Ozito chainsaw as we will clear as many trees that block the track as we can. This is a bit of a write up on our web site which may be of interest. Ozito Cordless Chainsaw for clearing trees.

The axe can do any size tree, but the bigger the tree the harder the amount of work required. The ozito chainsaw can do trees of a reasonable size with ease but being cordeless only lasts an hour or so on each charge.
            Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
            To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2014
              • Wellington,New Zealand

its amazing what a good bow saw can do .You can be a good way through the tree before the chain saw is even started
              2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
              BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• twisted32
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

I went through this thought process about 12 months ago, my solution is a Silky Big Boy.
                MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

+1 for the Silky Big Boy
                  BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• TC.Barky
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Melbourne

We used to routinely carry one, now we just winch trees out of the way or find another route in the very rare occasion we come across one blocking our way. Much less effort

But yes as above, avoid high country for the first few weeks (even some of the major tracks will often be blocked) or after a big storm.
                    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                      its amazing what a good bow saw can do .You can be a good way through the tree before the chain saw is even started
                      This.

I recall travelling in a reasonable size convoy somewhere when everything came to a stop - nothing on the radio, just stopped.

After a few minutes I stuck my head out the window, and could see people standing on the side of the track, and evidence of a fallen tree. So I grabbed my hand saw (not even as flash as a Silky) and walked up to help.

It was more of a fallen branch than a fallen tree, and the people standing on the side of the track were discussing where to attach the drag chains, and which way to pull it. A few cuts with the saw and the track was clear, without using a single chain.

Sometimes, "the easy way out" is harder.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Pakenham

Now all the scenarios have been covered, who takes a chainsaw and just uses it for track clearing and not cutting fire wood. First job into camp is to cut enough wood for the entire stay, which could be anything from a night to a week. That's a lot of wood to cut with a bow saw especially when the depth of cut of the saw is not as big as the tree. If the tree is accros the track, then you have to cut both ends to get the car through.
                        Very rarely is the chainsaw not fueled, oiled and ready to go at the drop of a hat, or tree.
                        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                          Now all the scenarios have been covered, who takes a chainsaw and just uses it for track clearing and not cutting fire wood. First job into camp is to cut enough wood for the entire stay, which could be anything from a night to a week. That's a lot of wood to cut with a bow saw especially when the depth of cut of the saw is not as big as the tree. If the tree is accros the track, then you have to cut both ends to get the car through.
                          Very rarely is the chainsaw not fueled, oiled and ready to go at the drop of a hat, or tree.

Yep mines for firewood. never leave home without it in the trailer.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• wasarangie
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Ocean Grove

Used to carry a petrol saw and last year moved over to a Battery powered unit. The Ego 56v unit. Only need to check oil and away you go. Batteries charge from the 240v outlet in the vehicle. And hardly any noise.
                            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• insect_eater
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Canberra

I've been carrying a bow saw and a mid-weight scandinavian hand-forged felling axe. I mainly use these for firewood, but are good to clean up a trunk before winching off. For me, a big tree across the road would mean a detour, but I rarely travel to areas where this might be a problem that I can't plan for.

People smirk when I get out the axe, but not after I've cut what was needed for the night before they've unpacked their chainsaw. Even if it took longer, I'd rather the satisfaction of skillfully wielding a fine tool than watch a machine do something effortlessly.

From a practical perspective, I suspect an axe is a lot easier to maintain than a chainsaw when cutting mulga and other dense/sandy arid zone wood. So you've got to consider the time and satisfaction level associated with maintenance. It's also good for cutting vegies and meat, and just fondling in front of the fire.......OK, I'll see if I can find my medication now......

I'll probably move to a Silky/axe combination. If I had to choose one, I'd take the axe for reliability - and it also has a few other uses.
                              Last edited by insect_eater; 22-02-18, 07:11 PM. Reason: bda tpying, clarifications
                              NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X