Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 08-08-18

Default KUMHO Road Venture AT51 Tyres?

Hi quick question has anyone had these tyres fitted? If so does the spare still fit OK into it's carrier?

Thanks
Old 08-08-18

Don't know the tyre but size will govern it's fit. Anything 265/75-16 (265/70-17) and under you wont have a problem with. I believe 285/75-16s may also but will be tight.

What size are you fitting and what transmission? Wouldn't recommend anything bigger than a 265/75-16 in an auto as your day to day tyre. Shift patterns will be compromised by A/T ECU programming the more you get away from stock size (265/70-16).

Cheers
Wes
2014 Auto PC Challenger with TJM Bullbar, HID converted IPFs, Uniden UHF, ARB Roof Rack with Kings Awning & LED, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 Copper ST Maxxs, 80AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco. Custom rear drawer system, 1/2 cargo barrier and tilt fridge slide. HR Towbar, Ultimate Suspension, Brown Davis LR tank, Piranha Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, SPV EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip

Next mods - Lockup Mate, LED Light Bar
Old 08-08-18
Valued Member

A 285/75-16 or a 285/70-17 is a big tyre for a Challenger and at more than 50mm larger in diameter it is also an illegal fitment that could have insurance, warranty and roadworthy implications. Fuel consumption will increase, acceleration and braking performance will decrease, if you a have an auto it will be very unhappy, if you have a manual then you will have to accept clutch slip, front tyres are likely to rub with steering input and at full tuck. No chance of fitting snow chains to the front wheels.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-08-18

I have these tyres on my ‘14 Challenger in standard 265/70 16 size but my spare is the unused standard HT tyre it came with. As above a variety of tyres will fit in the spare location.

I do note that the size I have look a fair bit larger than the HT and they also rub the front under guard when reversing...but I am on standard suspension at the moment.

IMO a great tyre.

Cheers!
Andrew
2014 Challenger: Factory tow bar | Factory alloy bullbar | Kings LEDís | Window tint | Kumho Mt-51's | Munji EGR Delete | Provent 200 | Redarc Towpro | UHF in dash| Custom rear drawers and fridge slide | 130AH rear AGM battery | Aldi roof bars and Kings awning | Kings Springs KCFR55T front KCRR23 rear and Bilstein shocks. Soon: guards.

Last edited by chillipepperz; 08-08-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillipepperz View Post
I have these tyres on my Ď14 Challenger in standard 265/70 16 size but my spare is the unused standard HT tyre it came with. As above a variety of tyres will fit in the spare location.

I do note that the size I have look a fair bit larger than the HT and they also rub the front under guard when reversing...but I am on standard suspension at the moment.

IMO a great tyre.

Cheers!
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

You have the MT51 fitted which is the hybrid AT/MT where the AT51 is a mild AT tread pattern.

Lifted suspension only changes the relative position of the normal ride height within the suspension travel so no extra clearance is gained by a suspension lift, only a body lift on the chassis can achieve more tyre clearance if fitting oversize tyres.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Hi Andrew,

You have the MT51 fitted which is the hybrid AT/MT where the AT51 is a mild AT tread pattern.

Lifted suspension only changes the relative position of the normal ride height within the suspension travel so no extra clearance is gained by a suspension lift, only a body lift on the chassis can achieve more tyre clearance if fitting oversize tyres.

OJ.
Oops! You’re correct OJ. Teach me not to take the care in reading the post
2014 Challenger: Factory tow bar | Factory alloy bullbar | Kings LEDís | Window tint | Kumho Mt-51's | Munji EGR Delete | Provent 200 | Redarc Towpro | UHF in dash| Custom rear drawers and fridge slide | 130AH rear AGM battery | Aldi roof bars and Kings awning | Kings Springs KCFR55T front KCRR23 rear and Bilstein shocks. Soon: guards.
Old 09-08-18

Cheers guys just looking to fit like for like 165/65/17 and it's an auto.
Old 09-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab View Post
Cheers guys just looking to fit like for like 165/65/17 and it's an auto.
Typo?
Presume you mean 265/65R17? This is a standard diameter tyre so no problems. This is the best size if you are towing.
Next side up is 265/70R17, popular fit for those going off-road, but be prepared to lose a litre of so per 100kms especially if you are going for a more aggressive tread pattern and heavier construction tyre.

OJ.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 09-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Typo?
Presume you mean 265/65R17? This is a standard diameter tyre so no problems. This is the best size if you are towing.
Next side up is 265/70R17, popular fit for those going off-road, but be prepared to lose a litre of so per 100kms especially if you are going for a more aggressive tread pattern and heavier construction tyre.

OJ.
Cheers yeah typo should read 265, will only ever tow the trailer with camping gear in I do intend to get off road but nothing extreme. Seems to be a big jump in price between 265/65 and 265/70 tyres.