• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajflyer
    • Jan 2017
    • Sydney

Recovery points

Hi everyone
    Has anyone had any recovery points fitted to the Pajero Sport. They seem near impossible to find. I think the Pajero Sport is based on the Mitsubishi challenger chassis, would recovery points for the challenger fit the Pajero Sport?? Wrote an email to Ironman 4x4 and still waiting for a response.
    I don’t want to risk using the hooks already on the Pajero Sport because there is no rating on them.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

There are 2 welded steel loops on the front of the PS that are factory recovery points, using these points with a bridle to spread the load is fine. Mitsubishi have been using the 2 loop factory recovery points for years and I have not read or seen a failure, I have however heard of failures of the factory recovery hooks where the hook has straightened out during a high load recovery. I has also seen after market rated recovery points damaged to the point that they are unsafe to use so just because they are painted yellow or red and are a rated does not mean they are indestructible. Rear recovery is best done using the towbar hitch receiver with a recovery hitch fitted and never using the towball.

I would save the money on aftermarket recovery points and be buying a set of quality recovery tracks like Maxtrax's or Tred Pro's. Recovery tracks are safer to use and can be used when you are a solo vehicle.

Gentle tow/snatch recoveries put very little load on the vehicles, recovery points and equipment but multiple heavy/fast snatch recoveries put huge loads on everything and eventually something will fail. The internet is full of failed snatch recoveries that have resulted is serious damage. Unfortunately it can also lead to injury and death when it all goes wrong.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Pajflyer
      • Jan 2017
      • Sydney

Old Jack
      On the PS front there is one heavy duty loop on one side and a tie down loop on the other side which is for lashing the car for transport. I don’t think the tie down loop would be suitable for use as a recovery point in the bridle configuration ( but I could be wrong). I emailed Mitsubishi Australia about the heavy duty loop and they confirmed that it is only intended for towing ( no kenetic energy from a snatch).
      I would only use a snatch stap as a last resort after trying lower tyre pressures and maxx Traxx. The rear point I totally agree ( getting HR towbsr soon).

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Pajflyer View Post
        Old Jack
        On the PS front there is one heavy duty loop on one side and a tie down loop on the other side which is for lashing the car for transport. I don’t think the tie down loop would be suitable for use as a recovery point in the bridle configuration ( but I could be wrong). I emailed Mitsubishi Australia about the heavy duty loop and they confirmed that it is only intended for towing ( no kenetic energy from a snatch).
        I would only use a snatch stap as a last resort after trying lower tyre pressures and maxx Traxx. The rear point I totally agree ( getting HR towbsr soon).
        Mmmm, l wonder if something has changed on the front of the PS?
        When I looked at them when they were first released they had 2 identical heavy duty steel loops welded and braced to the chassis. I will check this out on a current model.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Pajflyer
          • Jan 2017
          • Sydney

Thanks mate, your advice is greatly appreciated. I wil try post a picture of what I have on my 2016 Pajero Sport.

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

On the front of Challenger there's a hollow cross member of 60mm ID that's solidly welded and braced to the chassis rails. It sits immediately to the rear of the sway bar.
            A bridle squeezes through that tube with a bit of persuasion.

I think OJ has considered this as an option as well.

Does the PS incorporate this hollow crossmember ?

A squirt of yellow paint on the ends of the tube and away we go
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
              On the front of Challenger there's a hollow cross member of 60mm ID that's solidly welded and braced to the chassis rails. It sits immediately to the rear of the sway bar.
              A bridle squeezes through that tube with a bit of persuasion.

I think OJ has considered this as an option as well.

Does the PS incorporate this hollow crossmember ?

A squirt of yellow paint on the ends of the tube and away we go

Hi KB,

Yes the PS does have the same transverse tube between the chassis as the Challenger, I know my bridle/equaliser strap would not fit but my 18 metre winch extension strap doubled over will or one made from synthetic winch rope or even a lifting tube sling would fit. It needs to be about 9 metres in length so there is a nice long bridle forward and you need some heavy rubber hose to protect the bridle where it exits the tube. The transverse tube will be much stronger than any recovery point be it factory of aftermarket.

OJ.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Update, I had another closer look at a PS front recovery points tonight after work.
                There are 2 welded loops on the front, the left hand loop is a welded, clamped and braced so I believe this is the strongest loop of the 2. The right hand loop is not as strong but is still a welded and braced construction that is much more substantial than the old recovery points on the underside of older ARB winch bars so I would not be concerned about using a bridle on this point for sensible snatch recoveries.

I looked at whether to transverse chassis tube could be used as per my previous post and yes it could but you are likely to do damage to the lower bumper cover unless you have a bullbar fitted. It is better than losing you PS to an incoming tide in an emergency.

I see no easy way of fitting aftermarket recovery points, the chassis is only 2.5-3mm thick and mounting area to spread the load is limited.

OJ.

Comment

• ridges
                  • Aug 2017
                  • AU

Anyone care to comment on the hook on the rear left hand side of the PS? I've used it multiple times for snatch recoveries with no issues out of the mud but am interested to hear if anyone else has issues using it.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

I also looked at these the other day and they are a welded and fabricated hook and bracket that is bolted on to the rear chassis rails on each side. These are not as strongly constructed or attached to the chassis as the front points so even using a bridle I would on be using these for low load tow or gentle tug recoveries only.

OJ.

Comment

• ridges
                      • Aug 2017
                      • AU

old Jack - thanks for the input mate. Tow bars going on in two weeks so I'll start using the rear hitch receiver for recoveries from now on. I haven't noticed any deformation on the hook but probably best to play it safe.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ridges View Post
                        old Jack - thanks for the input mate. Tow bars going on in two weeks so I'll start using the rear hitch receiver for recoveries from now on. I haven't noticed any deformation on the hook but probably best to play it safe.
                        No problems. Rear tow hooks will be removed when towbatpr is fitted so they will no longer be an option.

OJ.

Comment

• pfgrobler
                          • May 2014
                          • Centurion. South Africa

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Update, I had another closer look at a PS front recovery points tonight after work.
                          There are 2 welded loops on the front, the left hand loop is a welded, clamped and braced so I believe this is the strongest loop of the 2. The right hand loop is not as strong but is still a welded and braced construction that is much more substantial than the old recovery points on the underside of older ARB winch bars so I would not be concerned about using a bridle on this point for sensible snatch recoveries.

I looked at whether to transverse chassis tube could be used as per my previous post and yes it could but you are likely to do damage to the lower bumper cover unless you have a bullbar fitted. It is better than losing you PS to an incoming tide in an emergency.

I see no easy way of fitting aftermarket recovery points, the chassis is only 2.5-3mm thick and mounting area to spread the load is limited.

OJ.
                          Do you have pics of the "transverse chassis tubes" ?

If you have a bull bar what would be better to use ? The factory points or the transverse chassis tubes ?

How do you convince a 4x4 club that you don't need yellow recovery point points ?

Comment

• pfgrobler
                            • May 2014

On facebook there are some posts of Ironman MQ triton points being used on the Pajero Sport
                            I want fellow Pajero Sport enthusiasts to post, discuss, chat and share what a great car this is and the potential the Pajero Sport has. Post your photos and videos of your rig and let us know what...

Comment

• pfgrobler
                              • May 2014

There is also a post of ARB MQ triton points being used with ARB bull bar

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport owners club Australia. Australia’s original, biggest and friendliest group for everything on the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. Thousands of posts, photos and information for...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X