• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrmc47
    • Jul 2011
    • Wonthaggi

Diff ratios

Hi all has anyone used the 6g74 auto diffs in a 4m40t manual...any problems? How does the diesel go with the V6 ratios?
    Cheers in advance
    NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I don't know specifics, but if you look at the red line o-n the tacho of a petrol vehicle and compare it with the diesel equivalent, you will see that it is 6000 R/min vs 4000 r/min (give or take a few RPM. This means that the diesel engine would be screaming flat out at something like 100 km/h. it would get to 100 very quickly however. In other words, the vehicle would be horribly undergeared.

Comment

• Martynhpajero
      • Jan 2011
      • Mount Gambier

The diesel diff ratios are 4.9.
      The auto petrol diff should be 4.63.
      Should drop a couple hundred RPM at 100kmh. I'm going to do the same to my NL 2.8 at some stage. I have a factory locker from a NJ exceed in the shed...

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
      NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
      NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

• jrmc47
        • Jul 2011
        • Wonthaggi

The reason I ask is because i am doing central Australia with a camper trailer and I know you shouldnt tow in 5th gear so a drop of a couple of hundred rpm in 4th will be ideal I think
        Last edited by jrmc47; 27-02-20, 05:11 PM. Reason: cant spell
        NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor

Comment

• jrmc47
          • Jul 2011
          • Wonthaggi

I should add that I did convert mine from V6 auto to 4m40T auto ...so retains the v6 diffs cos they are the same ratio as the auto diesel ones...its twin locked so I dont want to have to change them when I convert it to manual...if that makes any sense at all

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

Manual box behind the TD had a higher 5th gear as well as the 4.9 diffs.
            I think 0.76 vs 0.81 (don't quote on the 100ths!!).

I can't recall what engine revs at 100km/h in my 4m40t. Tacho hasn't worked for about 5 years. Also have 32" tyres with corrected speedo, so a bit hard to compare with factory specs.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Have done 2 trips from central Gippsland to Kunnanarra towing 1.5t camping trailer, and maximum GVM (and a "tad" more).

Towed in 5th gear wherever it would pull 5th gear. Sat on around 90km/h outside of Vic where I wouldn't hold up traffic.

Averaged about 14L/100km for the trip.

The gearbox is nearly as big as a Patrol 'box, and a huge improvement on the 'boxes in the Gen 1s.

Gearbox is still quiet. Syncros fairly tired.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• Martynhpajero
                • Jan 2011
                • Mount Gambier

Mine with 265/75/16 tyres revs at 2750 at 100 kmh GPS speed.
                I don't think it's a drama towing in fifth. That manual gearbox is pretty solid. Towing a camper trailer I usually only changed down to fourth when the EGT's were getting too high.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
                NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
                NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

• jrmc47
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Wonthaggi

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                  Have done 2 trips from central Gippsland to Kunnanarra towing 1.5t camping trailer, and maximum GVM (and a "tad" more).

Towed in 5th gear wherever it would pull 5th gear. Sat on around 90km/h outside of Vic where I wouldn't hold up traffic.

Averaged about 14L/100km for the trip.

The gearbox is nearly as big as a Patrol 'box, and a huge improvement on the 'boxes in the Gen 1s.

Gearbox is still quiet. Syncros fairly tired.
                  thats what I am going to do as well ...my camper is 1.5 tonne tare too 2 tonne loaded...just took the donor car for a quick drive and the box is whisper quiet...synchros are excellent...so pretty happy
                  how were your EGT's?
                  cheers
                  Attached Files

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

EGT???

No idea. Would need a guage for that.

EGTs must of been acceptable. It's still going 7 or 8 years later
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Caboolture

If it's still stock boost and fueling then high EGT's shouldn't never be an issue.. I've got the boost wound up and fuel turned up so my EGT's do get quite high. But I've got water meth injection that knocks up 300°C out of the temps..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• jrmc47
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Wonthaggi

Originally posted by Meth'd_up_Mitsi View Post
                        If it's still stock boost and fueling then high EGT's shouldn't never be an issue.. I've got the boost wound up and fuel turned up so my EGT's do get quite high. But I've got water meth injection that knocks up 300°C out of the temps..

Does the water /meth injection do anything for engine temps as well?????

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Caboolture

As in elevated temps over normal? Never.. engine always sat on normal temp. Water meth injection is unbeatable when it comes to towing. I could tow a 4wd on a car trailer up the gateway bridge in 4th no worries and EGT's would never get above 350-380°C. Would do it in 5th but it drives the cylinder pressures thru the roof.

Comment

• jrmc47
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Wonthaggi

Surely someone has done this...come on guys

Comment

• jrmc47
                              • Jul 2011
                              • Wonthaggi

Originally posted by Meth'd_up_Mitsi View Post
                              As in elevated temps over normal? Never.. engine always sat on normal temp. Water meth injection is unbeatable when it comes to towing. I could tow a 4wd on a car trailer up the gateway bridge in 4th no worries and EGT's would never get above 350-380°C. Would do it in 5th but it drives the cylinder pressures thru the roof.

can you give me a bit more info on the water / meth please?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X