• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMMOxBUDDY
    • Apr 2018
    • Christchurch

Replacing Rear Crank Seal 4D56T

Hi everyone, first time posting!

I've got a very bad oil leak and I believe it is my rear main seal. What steps are involved to replace this and do you need the special tools to insert the seal or can this be done with a wooden block and tapping with a hammer?
    This is on the Gen 2 Pajero 4D56T Manual Transmission.
  • Dongskie2
    • Dec 2016
    • Manila & Berwick

Originally posted by AMMOxBUDDY View Post

I've got a very bad oil leak and I believe it is my rear main seal. What steps are involved to replace this and do you need the special tools to insert the seal or can this be done with a wooden block and tapping with a hammer?
    I've done this before but not on a 4D56 but on a 2CT, I guess it could all be similar.

Take down the tranny.

Remove the pressure plate.

Remove the flywheel and you'll see the rear crankshaft oil seal cover with 5pcs 12mm head bolts.

Remove it and you can take off the oil seals

No special tool i suppose.

Good luck!!
    Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

• MikasPT
      • Aug 2018
      • Portugal - Lisboa

Originally posted by AMMOxBUDDY View Post

see if the leak isn't from valve gasket on top of engine under the intercooler radiator, back of engine in mine was from there. and the oil cap was a leak too replace gasket and cap rubber the leak stops.

mine is a MK2 2.5TDic GLX 4D56T v24w 1994 Pajero

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

As above - check for leaks from higher up first. My Son-in-law had a Suzuki 4WD (the ones with no springs, or at least that is what it felt like). He was told that he had a leaking rear main oil seal and was quoted some ridiculous amount to replace it. So he came down from Sydney to get me to do it.

We removed the engine and stripped the clutch etc, and removed the seal. It looked fine to me, but he had a new seal so we pt it in. Reassemble the whole thing and start it up. I felt behind the distributor and there was a fine bead of oil coming from it. That was the leak, and it dribbled down through inside the bell housing and out the bottom. A quick trip downtown to get a new O ring and all was good from then on.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Don't you just love jobs like that! I did head gasket for a friend's daughter after mechanic diagnosed it. Turns out it was radiator. The real fix took 20 min

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X