Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Filbee
    • Sep 2008
    • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Engine Warning Light

This morning the engine warning light came on and the car went into limp mode. Managed to safely pull off the road and turn the engine off. Cycled the ignition to see if the engine warning light was still on permanently - it was. I started the car and was able to drive the car home without any problems. It did not go back into limp mode again during the drive home (5ks). Checked the ignition this afternoon and the engine warning light is still illuminated. Is the car safe to drive, or should I get in touch with MMM (local dealer) to have the car checked out. First time that this has happened. I have about 132,000ks on the clock. I have a ChipIt module, EGR blank fitted and race pipe. Should these be removed before taking the car to MMM? I have had some minor surges from time to time, very intermittant and doesn't last long. Surges don't happen again for several weeks. Always thought it might have been the fuel. Your collective thoughts are very welcome. Cheers Filbee
    (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.
    Towing 2008 20ft Jayco Stirling O/B fitted with TyreDog TPMS.
  • pasniny
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Filbee View Post
    This morning the engine warning light came on and the car went into limp mode. Managed to safely pull off the road and turn the engine off. Cycled the ignition to see if the engine warning light was still on permanently - it was. I started the car and was able to drive the car home without any problems. It did not go back into limp mode again during the drive home (5ks). Checked the ignition this afternoon and the engine warning light is still illuminated. Is the car safe to drive, or should I get in touch with MMM (local dealer) to have the car checked out. First time that this has happened. I have about 132,000ks on the clock. I have a ChipIt module, EGR blank fitted and race pipe. Should these be removed before taking the car to MMM? I have had some minor surges from time to time, very intermittant and doesn't last long. Surges don't happen again for several weeks. Always thought it might have been the fuel. Your collective thoughts are very welcome. Cheers Filbee

I think you have code p0299 turbo underboost
    If you have egr blank and no hole in the throttle plate

How long have you had the egr blank in for

If youre going to dealer i would recomend to take mods off
    Especially if youre paj is still under waranty

Comment

• Travis
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Surging sounds more like suction control valve.

Comment

• Big Col
        • Jun 2007

Hi Filbee,

I've got the same set up as you. I was getting the engine warning light and limp home mode, occasionally at first and then more often. Throwing the code PO 299 plus another that I can't remember at the moment. I've done just over 160,000.

I had the suction control valve replaced and the manifold etc cleaned out. I've had no more issues. I left all my mods in place as I was out of warranty.

I would strongly suggest that with these type of mods that you have a scangauge as no matter where and when the car goes into limp home mode, you can easily clear them and get back to help if you need to.

Once I had the SCV replaced etc, no more probs as I said but if something does happen in the middle of nowhere, the scangauge tells you what the prob is and may enable you to get home, very important I reckon and great piece of mind.

Col.
        NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

• Travis
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

I have had all the same problems car is goin in to be sorted tommorow once sorted I'll put my egr delete in to complement exhaust

Comment

• cbass
            • Nov 2011
            • South of Perth

My check engine light self clears after about 3 or 4 starts during the day, thats with the p0299 code. It still shows the code on the scan gauge tho, but drives mormal.
            07 NS DID VRX, 18" MT STZ's,Dual Batt,6mmsq Power to 3 Rear Outlets,Electric Brake Controller,GME UHF,Ando Plug,Bush Skinz,Engle,V-cold Beer,ARB Delux Bar,IPF's, OME lift,Nitro Charger Sport Shocks,Chipit chip,EGR block,EGT guage,Scanguage,DPF delete,Auto Lock up kit....

Comment

• Merts
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2011
              • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by cbass View Post
              My check engine light self clears after about 3 or 4 starts during the day, thats with the p0299 code. It still shows the code on the scan gauge tho, but drives mormal.
              I experimented with an EGR blank plate a while back and had the same experience. The engine light went off by itself the day after it came on. It probably was after 3 or 4 starts following the original error and limp-home mode happening.
              Merts
              Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
              Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• pasniny
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009

egr blanks

Check around your EGR valve if there are black deposits egr valve is leaking

Also check under lower manifold if there is black oily residue manifold cover is leaking

Cheers

Comment

• Filbee
                  • Sep 2008
                  • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Engine Warning Light

Thanks to all who have provided comments. Much appreciated.
                  It would appear that this is a very common issue with the Pajero. Anyway, couldn't get into my MMM dealer until early June. And, the service rep was only interested in whether the tappets have been adjusted in the 112,000 ks that I've owned the car. He did agree that sometimes it could be the Suction Control Vlv or Map sensor, but he still concentrated on the tappets. So this afternoon I took it to the guys that fitted the ChipIt module. Computer spat out a sensor code (PO256), but no engine warning code. He checked the settings on the ChipIt module, all okay. Then removed the sensor on top of the located on top of the air cleaner. Gee, it was really dirty.
                  He also checked the tube connected to the bottom of the MAP sensor. Now I hope I'm talking about the right sensor - pls confirm that the MAP sensor is sitting up against the firewall, right hand side of engine (looking at it) and has a thin black rubber tube connected to the underside? The mechanic suggested that I throw in a bottle of injector cleaner, which I did. As for EGR blank, I'll have a look tomorrow morning to see if it has any signs of leaking, same for the lower manifold. I have 8,000 ks until the car runs out of warranty, so plenty of time to sus this whole thing out. Again, thanks for feedback. Cheers Filbee

PS. Fitted a set of Philips Daytime Running Lights (4 LEDs per light) to my bull bar. They are illuminated on start up, but as soon as the parkers come on, the DTRLs are extinguished. So my wife is happy that we have some lights 'on' during the day, and I am happy that we no longer dull out the speedo lights and the GPS screen. Turning the DTRL off with the parkers (generally night time) will satisfy the eager constable.
                  (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.

Comment

• pasniny
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2009

Thanks to all who have provided comments. Much appreciated.
                    It would appear that this is a very common issue with the Pajero. Anyway, couldn't get into my MMM dealer until early June. And, the service rep was only interested in whether the tappets have been adjusted in the 112,000 ks that I've owned the car. He did agree that sometimes it could be the Suction Control Vlv or Map sensor, but he still concentrated on the tappets. So this afternoon I took it to the guys that fitted the ChipIt module. Computer spat out a sensor code (PO256), but no engine warning code. He checked the settings on the ChipIt module, all okay. Then removed the sensor on top of the located on top of the air cleaner. Gee, it was really dirty.
                    He also checked the tube connected to the bottom of the MAP sensor. Now I hope I'm talking about the right sensor - pls confirm that the MAP sensor is sitting up against the firewall, right hand side of engine (looking at it) and has a thin black rubber tube connected to the underside? The mechanic suggested that I throw in a bottle of injector cleaner, which I did. As for EGR blank, I'll have a look tomorrow morning to see if it has any signs of leaking, same for the lower manifold. I have 8,000 ks until the car runs out of warranty, so plenty of time to sus this whole thing out. Again, thanks for feedback. Cheers Filbee

PS. Fitted a set of Philips Daytime Running Lights (4 LEDs per light) to my bull bar. They are illuminated on start up, but as soon as the parkers come on, the DTRLs are extinguished. So my wife is happy that we have some lights 'on' during the day, and I am happy that we no longer dull out the speedo lights and the GPS screen. Turning the DTRL off with the parkers (generally night time) will satisfy the eager constable.

are you sure its po256 i cant seem to find this in the factory manual

Comment

• Filbee
                      • Sep 2008

Engine Warning Light

It was definitely a combination of those numbers. Thought I'd remember. Should commit things to memory. Try 625 or 652 etc. Thanks pasniny.

Comment

• pasniny
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2009

list of 4m41 error codes enjoy

P0016
                        Crank angle sensor/camshaft position sensor phase problem

P0047
                        Variable geometry control solenoid valve circuit low input

P0048
                        Variable geometry control solenoid valve circuit high input

P0072
                        No. 2 intake air temperature sensor circuit low input

P0073
                        No. 2 intake air temperature sensor circuit high input

P0088
                        Common rail high pressure malfunction

P0089
                        Suction control valve stuck

P0093
                        Fuel leak problem

P0102
                        Air flow sensor circuit low input

P0103
                        Air flow sensor circuit high input

P0106
                        Manifold absolute pressure sensor range/performance problem

P0107
                        Manifold absolute pressure sensor circuit low input

P0108
                        Manifold absolute pressure sensor circuit high input

P0112
                        No. 1 intake air temperature sensor circuit low input

P0113
                        No. 1 intake air temperature sensor circuit high input

P0117
                        Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit low input

P0118
                        Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high input

P0122
                        Throttle position sensor circuit low input

P0123
                        Throttle position sensor circuit high input

P0182
                        Fuel temperature sensor circuit low input

P0183
                        Fuel temperature sensor circuit high input

P0191
                        Rail pressure sensor range/performance problem

P0192
                        Rail pressure sensor circuit low input

P0193
                        Rail pressure sensor circuit high input

P0201
                        No. 1 injector circuit malfunction

P0202
                        No. 2 injector circuit malfunction

P0203
                        No. 3 injector circuit malfunction

P0204
                        No. 4 injector circuit malfunction

P0219
                        Engine over speed condition

P0299
                        Turbocharger under boost condition

P0301
                        No. 1 cylinder injector malfunction (No injection)

P0302
                        No. 2 cylinder injector malfunction (No injection)

P0303
                        No. 3 cylinder injector malfunction (No injection)

P0304
                        No. 4 cylinder injector malfunction (No injection)

P0335
                        Crank angle sensor system

P0336
                        Crank angle sensor range/performance problem

P0340
                        Camshaft position sensor system

P0341
                        Camshaft position sensor range/performance problem

P0403
                        Exhaust gas recirculation valve DC motor malfunction

P0405
                        Exhaust gas recirculation valve position sensor circuit low input

P0406
                        Exhaust gas recirculation valve position sensor circuit high input

P0420
                        Catalyst malfunction <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P0427
                        No. 2 exhaust gas temperature sensor (catalyst temperature) circuit low input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P0428
                        No. 2 exhaust gas temperature sensor (catalyst temperature) circuit high input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P0502
                        Vehicle speed sensor low input

P0513
                        Immobilizer malfunction

P0545
                        No. 1 exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit low input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P0546
                        No. 1 exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P0551
                        Power steering fluid pressure switch system

P0603
                        EEPROM malfunction

P0604
                        Random access memory (RAM) malfunction

P0605
                        Read only memory (FLASH ROM) malfunction

P0606
                        Engine-ECU (main CPU) malfunction

P0607
                        Engine-ECU (sub CPU) malfunction

P0628
                        Suction control valve open

P0629
                        Suction control valve battery short

P0630
                        Chassis number not programmed

P0638
                        Throttle valve control servo stuck

P0642
                        Analog sensor reference voltage No. 1 too low

P0643
                        Analog sensor reference voltage No. 1 too high

P0652
                        Analog sensor reference voltage No. 2 too low

P0653
                        Analog sensor reference voltage No. 2 too high

P1203
                        Capacitor insufficient charging

P1204
                        Capacitor excessive charging

P1272
                        Pressure limiter malfunction

P1273
                        Supply pump insufficient flow

P1274
                        Supply pump protection

P1275
                        Supply pump exchange

P1276
                        Fuel filter exchange <Vehicles without swirl control valve>

P1277
                        Fuel filter freeze <Vehicles without swirl control valve>

P1298
                        Variable geometry turbocharger control system malfunction (high pressure)

P1299
                        Variable geometry turbocharger control system malfunction (low pressure)

P1427
                        No. 3 exhaust gas temperature sensor (DPF temperature) circuit low input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1428
                        No. 3 exhaust gas temperature sensor (DPF temperature) circuit high input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1474
                        Exhaust differential pressure sensor ambient air temperature sensor circuit low input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1475
                        Exhaust differential pressure sensor ambient air temperature sensor circuit high input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1497
                        DPF system malfunction <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1498
                        Excessive PM accumulated in DPF <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1499
                        Abnormally high DPF temperature <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P1564
                        Abnormal voltage at cruise control switch
                        Refer to GROUP 17 - Auto-cruise Control - Check Chart For Diagnosis Codes <4M4> .

P1571
                        Malfunction of the stop lamp switch system
                        Refer to GROUP 17 - Auto-cruise Control - Check Chart For Diagnosis Codes <4M4> .

P1625
                        Injection quantity compensation value error

P1626
                        Injection quantity compensation value not coding

P2009
                        Swirl control solenoid valve circuit low input <Vehicles with swirl control valve>

P2010
                        Swirl control solenoid valve circuit high input <Vehicles with swirl control valve>

P2118
                        Throttle valve control DC motor current malfunction

P2122
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (main) circuit low input

P2123
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (main) circuit high input

P2124
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (main) circuit high input intermittent

P2127
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (sub) circuit low input

P2128
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (sub) circuit high input

P2138
                        Accelerator pedal position sensor (main and sub) range/performance problem

P2146
                        Injector common 1 (cylinder No. 1and No. 4) circuit open

P2147
                        Injector common circuit earth short

P2148
                        Injector common circuit battery short

P2149
                        Injector common 2 (cylinder No. 2 and No. 3) circuit open

P2228
                        Barometric pressure sensor circuit low input

P2229
                        Barometric pressure sensor circuit high input

P2413
                        Exhaust gas recirculation system performance

P2454
                        Exhaust differential pressure sensor circuit low input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P2455
                        Exhaust differential pressure sensor circuit high input <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

P252F
                        Engine oil level malfunction <Vehicles with closed type DPF>

U1073
                        Bus Off

U1101*1
                        A/T-ECU time-out <A/T>

U1102*1
                        ASTC-ECU time-out

U1109*1
                        ETACS-ECU time-out

U1117*1
                        Immobilizer-ECU time-out

Comment

• Silverfox
                          • Apr 2010
                          • Adelaide

Some advice and comments please.

Just got back from a trip and just getting to the end of the freeway entering Adelaide and I notice my engine waring lamp is on.
                          I then find the car is very sluggish and gear change is also sluggish, I assume this is limp mode.
                          As I turned engine off it seemed to run on. I left it for a while turned engine back on but when I switched it off it didn't seem to run on.....maybe my imagination.
                          There certainly was no surging with the car getting home or even prior to that.
                          I have the car booked at mitsu tomorrow but I would appreciate some comments on what it may be.
                          I don' have any fault codes but will ask mitsu what codes show when they have a look tomorrow.

From reading some threads I assume the issue could be related to
                          DPF/Sensor
                          Manifold/Map sensor
                          SCV

Am I correct with the above and or what else could have caused this.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• dolphin
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008

as listed above; there are a number of faults associated with the Check Engine Warning Light. waite for MM diagnosis .
                            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• kiwi1973
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • New Zealand

You say the engine didn't seem to run on the second time you were switching it off. Was the engine light still on after you turned the car off the first time? Perhaps it had reset?

If it were DPF related I'd expect a flashing DPF light also.

Not much more to say without a fault code. I'm currently experimenting with android Torque (the paid version) on my phone together with a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 device from eBay and it has worked for me to retrieve a fault code (and reset the engine check light). Just mentioning this because these days it's possible to retrieve fault codes yourself for minimal cost - even if that doesn't necessarily mean you can do something about it yourself.
                              2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X