• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stricky
    • Nov 2014
    • Brisbane

Swag or stretcher?

We are planning a trip up the Hay River Track in the Simpson Desert next year and I have had some conflicting advice re best bedding. My Wife and I are both over 50 so comfort is getting to be very important. One mate swears by his swag, while other now uses a stretcher and reckons they are way better than a swag. Has anyone had any experience with stretchers? I know it means also taking a tent but that is not a problem if the stretcher is better.
    NW VRX Did Auto 265/60/18, Bullbar, ARB Frontier tank, Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson lift, Uniden 8080s, Dual Battery, air compressor, Kings 2.5 m awning, Waeco CFX 50, Abber tank
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

My father is in his 70s, and struggles to get up from the ground. He's been using a stretcher for years, generally under the awning alongside his car. Lately, he's taken to using a swag on the stretcher, and seems to be enjoying it.
    Last edited by nj swb; 03-11-16, 05:58 PM. Reason: Correct the auto-correct
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

You can now get stretcher swags, best and worst of both systems. If you have heaps of room and travel light then stretcher swag under an awning is the quickest and warmest solution, problem is when it is really wet and windy, this is where a good tent is better until you have to put it up or take it down in the rain or when it is wet! At 55 years old we still sleep on the ground in either a swag or tent but I must say the stretcher option has been discussed on recent trips.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• justcruizin
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Brisbane

I use a stretcher with my swag on top. Best of both worlds and off the ground.
        08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• swampy 6863
          • Nov 2012
          • parkes

Definitely a stretcher, getting too old to sleep on the ground anymore no matter how good the mattress is. Iv got an old style flat swag that opens right out so if it's just me going away I throw it on the stretcher but if the wife's with me we put two stretches together with a dooner over the two swag mattresses and sleep on that with another dooner over us both. Nice and cosy

Swampy

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

I have the same problem, sleeping on the ground is no longer an option for me.

I have been looking for a while now, and I believe the best one I have found is the Darche Dusk to Dawn.
            DARCHE has been the leader in premium outdoor gear since 1991. Browse our full range of rooftop tents, swags, and awnings online - Shop Now

I am only looking at the 900mm single. My wife likes to sleep under the stars, all 5 of them.

The Darche is self supporting in good weather, fits on a single stretcher, is full side opening from either side, plenty of ventilation for hot nights and the mattress felt really comfy on the stretcher.

The only thing I dont like about this swag is the price. It's not the cheapest on the market.

I havent decided if I would get the use out of it, but if I decide to get a swag, this is the one I believe I will get.

No association with any brand or shop.

Steve
            Attached Files
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

What about one of these
              Buy Specials & Clearance at Fishing Tackle Shop, Australia's leading online Fishing Store with the best Fishing Sales ✅ See deals!
              Last edited by Just Cruzin; 03-11-16, 11:30 PM.
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• LanaB
                • Nov 2012
                • Millicent, SA near some of the best sand/beach driving in Australia

a group of 4 of us did the Hay River 6 years ago when I had my Patrol, 2 were in rooftop tents (me included) one in a swag, and the other on inflateable airbed in a tent. I was 64 at the time, and had an airbed on top of my RTT mattress, and loved it. I have had that set up for years. These days I have an Oztent with airbed on a aluminium stretcher, mainly because I was having problems folding the RTT on my own as I got older (now 70).
                2005 MK Triton GLS 2.8TD manual, some fruit, much more to come.
                retired .. '94 NJ, GLS, swb, 3.0l

Comment

• andyhi696
                  • Apr 2016
                  • Logan

I use an swag on a stretcher and if the wjeather looks bad i also use a cheap plastic tarp over the lot. It works in most situations including 'below freezing and heavy rain.

Comment

• Lost1
                    • Dec 2013
                    • Melbourne

If I'm moving camp every day then a swag on a stretcher is first choice. If setting up camp for a couple of days then I prefer a tent with a stretcher inside. I start to get a bit stiff sleeping on the ground for more than a couple of days. I use a coleman stretcher and a self inflating mattress.

This is probably best done before you've had a dozen tinnies and some port. But when its really cold you can put some coals from the fire under the stretcher to warm you up.
                    09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• RUGGA
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Lost1 View Post
                      If setting up camp for a couple of days then I prefer a tent with a stretcher inside, when its really cold you can put some coals from the fire under the stretcher to warm you up. Please Note - this can only be done once
                      Because I am bored, some Selective editing
                      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Cams
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Melbourne

I'm 48 and have finally given up on using just a mattress on the ground. Now use a stretcher, mattress and tent. Annoying part is my favorite tent to take is too small for the stretcher and have to take the old one now.
                        2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
                        Open Country AT2's
                        Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• ticky
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post

Yeah, I like the look of the Oztent. I might have to check that out. And I thought I had made up my mind.

Steve
                          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• zepps
                            • Oct 2016
                            • Adelaide

Another great reason to use a stretcher in a tent is effective use of space. You can neatly tuck away bags and gear under the stretcher keeping it dry and away from crawling critters.

+1 stretcher... Comfy too!

zepps
                            2014 NW Pajero GLXR

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

this would have to be the best "stretcher swag" I have seen. However, Kulkine has now closed, so I don't know how available they will now be. Unless someone else takes over manufacture of them.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X