Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 31-05-16
Valued Member

Default Gps hud

I can't resist a good gadget and picked up a neat little HUD unit from fleabay for $65. Works well and is certainly better than looking down at the builtin speedo. You can't see the sender unit from the driving position and I've now run the lead in to the air vent hole on the dash mat so it's all out of sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2532.jpg (76.0 KB, 115 views)
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 31-05-16

Nifty, how big is the sender unit and how accurate have you found it compared to in car speedo?
Old 31-05-16
Valued Member

The unit is the same length as my iPhone and only slightly wider, so not big very at all. I took it for a run on the freeway and it stuck hard on the speed when I set the cruise control and didn't vary much at all, so the accuracy is good and had connection to 10-12 satellites all the way. It was virtually the same as the speedo and is pre set to read over by default, just like the speedo is. But it's adjustable in that regard so you can match the speedo exactly or set it to actual speed. I prefer using the preset and displaying a bit over.

I have to say, it was so much better having the speed on the screen. There are so many speed changes on every road these days that looking down at that dial means the eyes are off the road. This way I don't have that problem and after only one day with it, I don't think I could go back. It also displays direction (only in N,E,W or S) and distance travelled since start up.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 31-05-16

I have one of these. Incredibly accurate and Aussie owned and made.

http://www.bogaard.com.au/digital-sp...ters/about-ds/
Old 01-06-16

Hi Ian, how do you find the the display during the day. I thought the glare could be a problem.
Old 01-06-16
Valued Member

Quite good. It was semi sunny yesterday and it was easy to read. I think it changes brightness in the tunnels too. It comes with a stick on clear film to put on the windscreen above the unit which stops you getting a double image because of the layers in the screen itself.
Old 01-06-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I can't resist a good gadget and picked up a neat little HUD unit from fleabay for $65. Works well and is certainly better than looking down at the builtin speedo. You can't see the sender unit from the driving position and I've now run the lead in to the air vent hole on the dash mat so it's all out of sight.
Got an ebay link for this mate?
Old 01-06-16
Valued Member

Sure thing.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Q7-HUD-5-...item1a1153176a
Old 01-06-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
I was planning on getting the OBD2 type:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal...UAAOSwWBJXBMH0
I looked at that too but decided to get the GPS so I had an accurate speed reading. I assume the OBD2 would read the same as the speedo ?