Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers

Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers It's all about the great outdoors. What you have and where you stayed.

Old 14-01-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
As far as water usage for washing up goes, use a basin and a small amount of water, start with the glasses and work your way up to the pots and pans (one pot/pan, one fork, one knife for the cook, it's a holiday not a 5 star restaurant with dishwasher). Use paper towels to wipe the crud of plates and things before washing them. Yes a few trees might have to die and the planet might suffer but you'll keep the dishwashing water cleaner for longer and need less of it.
This.

OJ put us on to a small spray bottle with water and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. Handy for spraying lightly soiled dishes, then wipe with a paper towel (also handy for cleaning windows /mirrors/headlights/dirty hands). Geopaj uses old spray sunscreen bottles - essentially free, nice compact form factor for storing, steady stream of replacements available.

I also prop my wash-up bowl on an angle, to make a deep part with less water in the bowl.

If I've had a "light" wash-up which has left the water relatively clean I leave it in the bowl. Next wash-up, add some more hot water and use it to "pre-wash" some of the dirtier dishes before tossing it out and starting again. Or tip it into one of the pots & boil it up to soften food residue for wiping out with a paper towel before washing. It might take a little more time & a little more thought, but it uses less water.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 14-01-18
Valued Member

Paper towel to wipe all the chunky bits off.
500ml spray bottle for hand wash, table wipe down, lunch dishes when on the road, last about 3 days before the need to refill it.
1/2 litre hot wash in for breakfast dishes.
1 litre hot wash for evening dishes.
Try and do 1 pot meals where ever possible when we want to really conserve water.
Only 2 of us now days but when there was 4 we used maybe an extra 3/4 litre per day for cleaning dishes.
Having water plumbed means you use more and if you have a pressure pump water consumption increases more.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 14-01-18
Valued Member

Re: water used to wash dishes. If you've used a fry pan, after removing the food, scrape off scraps with paper toweling and fill with water and detergent. After eating, reheat the water and use it to wash your utensils and plates (like a small sink), then clean the fry pan last. Dry using paper towels and throw them in the fire. This uses a very small amount of water.
Old 19-01-18

Thanks everyone, I've jumped over to the myswag forums and have got some really good advice from them, and the more I read the more I want to convince my wife to just let me build a custom one from scratch.....

And thanks for the spray bottle idea, thats exactly the sort of idea I was looking for and I'll be sure to add a bottle to our kit before we leave for our next trip
Planned: