• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reciprovac
    • Jan 2011
    • broadford Victoria, Australia

Rear locker use

Just reading my favourite 4wd Magazine which in an article titled rear lockers states the following-
    "During steep descents the locked rear axles wont allow overun and will stop one side speeding up"
    has any one noticed reduced down hill speed with the locker on ?
    And is this enough to enable slower down hill compared to unlocked in low range of course.
    Regards
    2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
    Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.
  • JoeMcDermott
    • Jun 2014
    • Gold Coast

The magazine is quite right and for vehicles like ours (without a Hill Descent Control) it makes like a little less dramatic and a bit safer.
    2014 NW with OL bar, 9,500lb winch, Bushskinz, TJM dual battery kit, UHF, Outback drawers, ARB compressor, MSA fridge slide with Evakool fridge, 55mm lift and rear airbags, water tank and pump.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
      Just reading my favourite 4wd Magazine which in an article titled rear lockers states the following-
      "During steep descents the locked rear axles wont allow overun and will stop one side speeding up"
      has any one noticed reduced down hill speed with the locker on ?
      And is this enough to enable slower down hill compared to unlocked in low range of course.
      Regards
      Yes.

Unlocked, as wheels lose contact with the ground, the wheels remaining on the ground can "run away", creating a sudden and unexpected increase in speed.

Locking the rear diff means three wheels need to lift before run-away can happen.

Yes, I have experienced this. It's not just a theory.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• P4J3R0
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        Yes.

Unlocked, as wheels lose contact with the ground, the wheels remaining on the ground can "run away", creating a sudden and unexpected increase in speed.

Locking the rear diff means three wheels need to lift before run-away can happen.

Yes, I have experienced this. It's not just a theory.
        Agree with above,

But to play devils advocate, having the locker engaged in a gen 4 with MATT would stop the car from being able to control each wheel independently.

Could this actually turn a very smart system into a dumb system?

Just a thought.
        NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by P4J3R0 View Post
          Agree with above,

But to play devils advocate, having the locker engaged in a gen 4 with MATT would stop the car from being able to control each wheel independently.

Could this actually turn a very smart system into a dumb system?

Just a thought.
          You can always bypass the system that disables MATT and ABS when the locker is engaged. The weird hidden 'hill descent control' on gen4s where it brakes when it detects runaway isn't very effective anyway I find.
          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X