• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan2612
    • Dec 2011
    • Newcastle

Help me restore faith in my 1997 2.8TD

My 97 2.8TD is really starting to get me down. Or more correctly it's working out what is wrong, whether myself or finding someone who can.
    The vehicle has only done 133,000km, has a good service history and appears well cared for (previous owner was very particular).

I have had it for 3 years. In the last 2 years I have replaced the glow plugs 3 times, 12 months ago with genuine plugs, and now it's starting rough again. I guess it could be injectors. Or a fuel pump. I think it dropped a bit of power since it started happening again.

Worse, it has now developed a timing chain noise (classic rattle), that is just audible in the cabin under decellaration (you can hear it under idle in the engine bay). My normal mechanic has suggested monitoring it, as it could make it for 20k+ but I am not convinced, but it is attractive as it only does about 7000 km's per year on average.

Thoughts and recommendations most welcolm!

None of this really adds up given the cars age and service history. I could end up with a sizeable bill for a timing chain ($1200 to 2000 I gather) and if it's fuel pump too, and then there's the injectors. All for a car I think is well maintained with low km's.
  • NJ94
    Valued Member
    • May 2009
    • Melbourne East

Welcome Nathan, good to see you here. Does a diesel have a timing chain to rattle? I think I'd look at a new mechanic.
    "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• Papajero
      • May 2011
      • Perth

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forum,

I don't know the pajero diesel AT ALL but I do know diesels in general and they often have a glow plug timer that controls the power supply to the glow plugs. They should power up before cranking and then continue with power on for some time after the engine starts. This is easily confirmed with a test light. They should also, then, turn off.

Maybe your glow plugs are staying powered on for too long? Or turning off too soon? If they turn off straight ofter starting the motor the engine can run very rough, yet start relatively easily. What did the old glow plugs look like when you changed them? Were the ends melted, indicating too long powered up. Or were they open circuit?

Any more details might be able to help you diagnose better.

As for the timing chain I'll turn that over to someone on the forum who knows the engine better.
      99 NL Exceed Auto. Dual batteries

Comment

• Nathan2612
        • Dec 2011
        • Newcastle

Thanks Papajero, I have had the glow plug relay and timer checked by a reputable autoelectrician.

Comment

• NAV
          • Jun 2011
          • Brisbane Northside

The 2.8 has a chain and the 2.5 has a belt for timing.
          It sounds like the car doesnt get used alot so could be the seals in the pump have gone hard. Water or foreign matter in the tank/lines/filter.
          Thats my thoughts anyways.
          "Life's best in low range"

Comment

• NTpadge
            • Oct 2011
            • Northern territory

i doubt its the timing chain, if you are worried about the chain try just replacing the timing chain tensioner which is on the left hand front of the cylinder head.
            a car with such low k's shouldn't have worn or stretched the timing chain yet.

as for the loss of power, i would be looking at injectors, before you do the pump. alot of people don't consider the importance of injector spray pattern. since this is pretty much the most integral contributor to the engines performance, a worn injector can have massive effects on the running of the vehicle, especially when its cold.

attatched is 2 pictures, one is an injector that is worn, it shows signs of leaking/ dripping which will cause a big loss of power, black smoking, running rough etc.

my advice, if your going through glow plugs i reckon you have a shit spray pattern and its burning too hot and slow, get your injectors rebuilt and go from there.

jono.

edit: forgot to mention, the injector on the left has worn down alot, considering the top of it should be completely flat like the new one on the right. and you can see where it has been dripping down by the amount of wear. this is out of my paj, which was running like shit.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NTpadge; 13-12-11, 11:03 PM.
            damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL

Comment

• Bogger
              Unregistered as asked
              • May 2011

+10 What Jono said ................ also a small coolant leak will give rough running after sitting also as cylinder has to burn it out before it will fire correctly................. early signs of head crack / gasket issue

Comment

• Dancarder
                • Dec 2011
                • Brisbane

I have a manual hold on switch for my glow plugs, it was set up on the car when I bought it as the auto glow plug system is notorious for playing up and burning up plugs quite quickly by staying on for too long!! I havent replaced the plug in 2 years and they still look like new !!!
                Mechanically...get that timing chain checked, As NTPadge said I also doubt the chain is stuffed but more likely the tensioner, but the results will be just as expensive if the tensioner gives up the ghost and causes untold damage/wear to the chain and gears on the front of the engine. Mine has 320000ks and the timing chain is original and still fine.
                I would do the injectors first before looking at the pump .. did mine last week $215 from injector express, runs considerably better. Also as NAV said the pump seals may have gone hard after all the car is 15 years old despite the low kays.

You will need to spend some cash to get the 4m40T up to speed...but it will repay you with years of reliable service!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X