• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pdbandit
    • Feb 2016
    • Sunshine Coast

Rear Drawers

Hi all

Some great information on this site from people far more knowledgeable than me and better with the tools, so thanks for all your insight over the months.

I am looking to get some rear drawers for the PS and include a fridge slide on one side. There seems to be a big range in price from $400 at 4wd SupaCentre all the way up and beyond $1400+ at places like Drifta. I have no practical skills and am looking to see what others may have done or are considering. I would like to ensure they are finished off well (eg flush to sides of vehicle but I wont be doing it), so a purpose built set seems the way to go but that is expensive. The cheaper options seem OK for my type of low use but wont be made for the vehicle so I am concerned about how to fit them etc.

Any thoughts would be useful, thanks
  • Lando
    Valued Member
    • May 2013
    • Lake Maquarie NSW

I have had some black widow fitted drawers in the back of my 14 paj for years now and they are honestly the best thing ever!! The fit is perfect and they are solid as a rock! With a water tank under them to some fittings in the side wings and some switches diy'd in for lights, pump and air conpressor it makes touring and even day to day life so much easier and more enjoyable

Drifta also do amazing fitouts with some great custom additions like tables etc thatcan be added into the order

The old black widow family are back making drawers aswell...cant for the life of me remember the name but if the quality is the same they would be another option
    MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Amok
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

One thing to consider is Drifta have a sort of "open warranty" where they are very happy to fix their products many years down the track, no questions asked (unless abused I'm sure).

You'll get excellent service and quality product, but you pay a premium for that.
      MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Jasontappin
        • Oct 2016
        • Gympie

Have been looking as well, and found not many allow for access to spare wheel bolt in the cargo area. I know Drifta do.

Comment

• underdog
          • Jan 2015
          • Campbelltown, NSW.

I've probably spent around $400-500 on building my own set and am pretty happy with it. Not the prettiest around but I'm happy with how it performs.

2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
          Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• Pdbandit
            • Feb 2016
            • Sunshine Coast

Thanks folks

I wish I could build one but that is way out of my comfort zone. Will keep looking but may end up Drifta's way as there kit is good quality and they are a good outlet.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

They are also light weight compared with the cheaper alternative from 4WD Supastore but about 4-5 times the price. I like the built in table option tough, that's a winner.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

I built my own set last time for the Pajero, but this time around I am probably going to go an Aluminium fridgepack setup from Offroad Systems. Keeping the fridge down low as shown in underdogs picture above is a much better idea. My current setup has a drop slide which adds to the weight and complexity of accessing the fridge.
                The ORS system won't be cheap, but it should last me a lifetime. the FP3 setup I am looking at weighs 76kg including the slide and wings etc. This is in aluminium, if it was in steel it would be 103kg. My last system was 110kg including the drop slide, the weight gets up there very easily and you need to be aware of this, even in the commercial systems.
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Peterng
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Northern Rivers NSW

Drifta..by a mile...
                  It just works..simple and effective..KISS principal..
                  Couple of blokes up here in Nhulunbuy have the double draws with inbuilt table..
                  It's at the pointy end of the price point..it just oozes quality..lighter and toughter..
                  Sorry.. I'm slobbering again..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
                    Drifta..by a mile...
                    It just works..simple and effective..KISS principal..
                    Couple of blokes up here in Nhulunbuy have the double draws with inbuilt table..
                    Nice craftsmanship and solid as...
                    There products are at the pointy end of the price point in the market..it just oozes quality..lighter and toughter..
                    It just works..
                    Sorry.. I'm slobbering again..

Comment

• Pascoepaj
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Maryborough, qld

Drawers

Hi underdog, what thickness marine ply did you use? Just at bunnings and trying to price up making some..
                      Thanks
                      Luke

Comment

• underdog
                        • Jan 2015
                        • Campbelltown, NSW.

Originally posted by Pascoepaj View Post
                        Hi underdog, what thickness marine ply did you use? Just at bunnings and trying to price up making some..
                        Thanks
                        Luke
                        Some 12mm and some 15mm. I was a cheap sod though and just used structural ply, not marine.
                        2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
                        Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• greig
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • kanwal

Originally posted by underdog View Post
                          Some 12mm and some 15mm. I was a cheap sod though and just used structural ply, not marine.
                          For the back of a vehicle that won't get wet, that's fine. If the 4wd goes for a "swim", I'd be more worried about other things 1st !! lol

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

I would be hesitant to give a blanket 'NO' to all structural ply.
                            Certainly marine ply will have the best glue and a faultless surface finish, but structural ply comes in various grades according to the type of glue, its surface finish, exterior vs interior use etc.
                            Formply is an example. The surface isn't particularly good and it isn't rated for prolonged exposure to moisture nor for permanent structural use, yet you could make a set of drawers that are robust and quite adequate for the rear of a wagon.
                            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Pascoepaj
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Maryborough, qld

drawers

was looking at the 4wd supercentre ones and theres quite a few complaints regarding the handles breaking but also the weight(but also some had complained about other custom built ones being heavy as well) - what would yours weigh? what framework material did you use?
                              thanks for the help

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X