• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dunk_c
    • Nov 2007
    • Ipswich, Qld

Rear trash bag

Would it be legal during the daytime to attach an accessory number plate to the bag that is hooked over the spare tyre, perhaps using velcro?
    Thanks
    2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

If you’re in NSW like myself, then I doubt it judging by a cursory review of relevant websites.

“Number plates must be permanently fitted to vehicles in an upright position and parallel to the vehicle’s axles, and not more than 1.3 metres above ground level.”

Keyword “permanently”. And...

“It is an offence for drivers and registered operators of vehicles if its number plates are not fitted properly...”

Plus auxiliary plates are apparently only to be used for the purposes of bike racks or mobility device racks...

“If the rear number plate of your vehicle is obscured by a bike rack or mobility device rack, you'll need to fit an auxiliary number plate, which is a smaller copy of the vehicle number plate.”

If the rear number plate of your vehicle is obscured by a bike rack or mobility device rack, you'll need to fit an auxiliary number plate. This is a smaller…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Should’ve looked at your profile first. QLD. But I’ll leave the info up for other NSW members who may ask the same question in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• dunk_c
        • Nov 2007
        • Ipswich, Qld

I called it an accessory number plate but I think you are referring to an auxilliary plate - same thing. If I buy one for use on a bike rack, I am womdering if it would also be legally compliant if attached to the bag would be obscuring the vehicle plate
        2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

I did just this, but to fit the bag, I removed the complete plastic shroud that contains the original number plate. By law, over here, an accessory plate still has to be accompanied by the original plate, so in essence, what I do is illegal.

I can live with that, cause trekking thousands of remote kilometres with rubbish either in the car or on the roof is also unacceptable.

I also added lighting to the plate, tapped into the original plate light harness. Again, my lighting is not technically legal, but if collared, I'll cross that bridge then.

My plate is bolted to the bag. 2 ali strips with rivnuts sits inside the bag and the plate bolts to those from the outside.

I also made a bracket to mount the reverse camera, it sits on one side, so the view is skewed, but its better than none at all.

It probably takes me 1/2 an hour to set it all up, and getting to the spare is a pain due to the bag straps.....I have to remove the bag to open the frame to get to the tyre.....But its a long remote trip scenario for me, not a weekender, so it doesn't get converted often.
          Last edited by sharkcaver; 06-02-19, 08:03 PM.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• dunk_c
            • Nov 2007
            • Ipswich, Qld

Thanks for sharing your setup SCaver. I’ll take the plate bolting on solution on board, might be better than velcro.
            I would prefer to not disassemble the spare wheel housing but it is a good idea, depending on the journey.
            When we get to the remote country part of the journey I just want to throw the bag on, but when we head home, take it off and stow it empty on the roof rack.
            I will probably put some clear protective tap on the cover to reduce scratching and peel it off after the trip.
            Relocating the reversing camera would be good especially for the scary reversing down hill. Maybe having a second camera stuck to the rear windscreen/body/roof rack would be a solution, with some kind if switch between cameras.

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

You need one of these...

Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• dunk_c
                • Nov 2007
                • Ipswich, Qld

Yep, saw that one in the old posts. I would increase my strike rate for versing into street signs with that!

Comment

• surf54
                  • Jan 2018
                  • Port Macquarie

Pajero 4-4 Relocated licence plate position

I ran into the same problem. Definitely do not want the trash in the car. Ordered a bumpstep XL to put on an auxiliary plate with a bracket with the lights fed from the hitch plug, but then I red the NSW aux plate law notes and basically was thrown back from this option ...bummer.
                  Lucky the company that distributes the bumpstep in Australia was willing to cancel the order. My aux plates are ready soon but pretty useless for this option.

So I had a re-think and took the plastic bumper off to investigate for points I could re-locate my back plate to and stay legal. I found 4 points to put an aluminium thread nut in but not far enough apart for the full length of the licence plate. So I got aluminium black square pipe (25.4 x 25.4 mm connect-it) with four corner pieces and 4 end caps from Bunnings and made a rectangular bracket slightly larger than the plate. Had some square left and cut some pieces to mount on the sides slightly down so the curve from the back wheel in the plastic bumper had nothing sticking out above it. I filed the plastic corners of the connect it system slightly round because they are very pointy. I used 4x 75mm stainless steel M6 bolts that go into the aluminium thread rivets but do NOT over-tighten them because the plastic bumper starts to curve up. Mine are tight (no play in the aluminium frame at all) but you can keep tighten them resulting in curling up the plastic bumper part you can stand on. I just used the strongest loctite I could find at Bunnings and put it on the bolts when I was happy the way it was sitting. I also put a 3.2 mm open rivets into the 90 degrees angle pieces on the inside out of sight to lock them in where they are not held in place by the side mounted bolts holding the square tube with the lights and glued in the end caps on them. All to make it corrugation proof.

The 2 end pieces I used to mount my licence plate lights on from the sides. First I bought some cheap ones from eBay but they were blinding and not really lighting the plate properly. So later I bought the same size lights from Autobarn much brighter and with caps on top so you do not blind the car behind you with your LED's. The barn also supplied the M12 - 1.5 nuts (3x) that did not come with my spare wheel lift kit... (the wheel nuts are M12 - 1.25).

The licence led lights are fed from the driver side rear light that I used sealed hot air solderings to piggy bag into, than to a 2 wire water tight connector. So basically if I hold the rear light disconnected I have got another little lead coming off it with a 2 way waterproof connector. From there a lead nicely protected in tube towards the plate bracket. Drilled another little hole in the plastic bumper (5x in total - 4x for the mounting) inside the rectangle after mounting. The wires for the lights go to the inside of the bracket so with the plate mounted you see no wires at all.

The camp and cover bag fits nicely over the plastic cover of the spare wheel. I want to leave all the plastic for a compressor that is going to be mounted inside the spare wheel bracket with a switch inside the car and a connector for the air somewhere on the side into the plastic probably strengthened with some alloy strip.

I still have to move the little camera somewhere to one side of the bag inside the plastic cover and I will mount a second flat LED round red fog light onto one of the sides of the plastic extended rear wheel cover to stay legal with the camp and cover bag on.

I bought mine at:
                  Uneek 4x4 produce leading Bull Bars, Rock Sliders, Rear Bars and Off Road Accessories

Video:
                  Camp cover spare tire bag is now available in the USA threw ozark overland outfitters
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by surf54; 21-08-19, 10:56 PM. Reason: Added link for video on Camp and Cover Safari Bag

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X