• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

Thumper Compressor Modification

I have one of the older Thumper compressors, it's been great but always anoyed me that it has a male Nito fitting whereas compressors usually have a female fitting. This means you can't use a standard tyre inflator, blow gun etc:

I decided to replace the fitting, but in my haste to take the thing apart I broke the tube that fits inside the handle:

The tube appears to be made from cast Chinesium. Whatever it is, I know it's brittle. The thread for the safety valve is 1/4 BSP, but the head to T piece is a very odd size. I guess it is a metric fine thread but couldn't find a single replacement fitting that would screw in. Supercentre had no idea and couldn't supply any replacement parts, just a whole new compressor.

So I drilled and tapped the head to 3/8 BSP then fitted a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer:

Red Locktite means it's not going anywhere:

From there I added a T-piece and a pressure switch, as with the female Nito fitting the compressor needs to shut off automatically when the air isn't flowing. The pressure switch is connected in series with the existing on-off switch:

The compressed air now exits through the side of the handle:

And I can swap a standard regulator/filter between my big compressor and this one, or just connect any airline direct:

Finally I added Anderson plugs in the cable, so can connect either to an external Anderson on the Paj, or with clips on the battery. To be honest the standard cable is pretty borderline and does get warm in prolonged use. If I were doing this again I'd probably upgrade the cable:

The finished article. The wires to the pressure switch come out through the rear of the handle where the original air fitting was and through a hole drilled in the rear cover. In terms of the time and effort required to do this I would say absolutely a waste of both, but I wasn't throwing a perfectly good compressor in the bin just because I broke a couple of bucks worth of fitting!

Cheers,
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Nice work bud. Having the compressor set up with a pressure switch is so much cooler than having it running the whole time between tyres. It's on my to do list. Already got the switch and fittings, just gotta pull the back of the car apart to get to the compressor behind the trim.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Axis
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Highett Vic

Would like to fit a pressure switch as well. What fitting are you using onto the tyres?

Hatto, any chance of some shots of where you have mounted yours, or a link?

Cheers,
      James
      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

That's an improvement for sure.

What's the current rating on the pressure switch ?
        ie Is it able to cope with switching the full load of the compressor motor, or should you use it to control a suitably rated relay ?

(For example, an AOB unit is rated at 10A
        http://www.aironboard.com.au/store/p...20psi-off.html )
        Last edited by Kingbrown; 13-07-18, 01:12 AM. Reason: Web reference added
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Billy500
          • Aug 2016
          • Brisbane

Looks good,
          I have a 2002 NM and have second battery and a few other things in the third row of seats well. I was thinking or mounting my Thumper compressor in the well also and re-rooting the on/off switch and hose connection to a panel near my draws.
          Was wondering if anyone can see a problem with this, or if there would be a overheating problem.
          It will be wired direct to the battery including an inline fuse. Later I will put a second 120amp deep cycle battery in there.
          Cheers
          Bob
          2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, Cooper Discovery AT3, 2" Bilsen King lift, Orion VHF/UHF radios,LED Spot light, Rear drawers, Waeco CFX 50 and slide, 120 amp dual batteries, 2.5x2.5 awning with side shades.

Comment

• chrisall
            • Sep 2016
            • WA

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
            That's an improvement for sure.

What's the current rating on the pressure switch ?
            ie Is it able to cope with switching the full load of the compressor motor, or should you use it to control a suitably rated relay ?

(For example, an AOB unit is rated at 10A
            http://www.aironboard.com.au/store/p...20psi-off.html )

The Thumper already has a relay inside the rear cover. The existing on-off switch just energizes the relay coil. As the pressure switch is in series with this switch it only has to cope with a small current.

Cheers,
            2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• Turorit
              • Oct 2016
              • Adelaide

Nicely done

I've considered doing a similar thing for my mate's thumper, but an external inline version.
              Anderson plugs + 100A relay + pressure cutoff switch in a small project box with air fittings.

Theoretically could use it on any compressor so long as it is fitted with anderson plugs.
              2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
              --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                Would like to fit a pressure switch as well. What fitting are you using onto the tyres?

Hatto, any chance of some shots of where you have mounted yours, or a link?

Cheers,
                James
                My thumper (single piston) is mounted behind the rear LHS lower trim panel. It's bolted to the floor behind the passenger rear wheel arch. I did have to cut the bottom off the little storage pocket behind the third row cup holders and put a raised false floor in the storage pocket though. But I only use that pocket for a fuse block anyway and it just sits low enough for the lid to still fit.
                I'll see if I can find a pic
                Last edited by Hatto; 13-07-18, 02:15 PM. Reason: To add picture
                Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• signo1985
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Perth

Ehi guys, has anybody modified his compressor hose so that it has two couplings (see photo)

rather than one coupling and one plug at the two ends (like all the ones of the shelves)?
                  Just trying to understand if the pressure left in the hose could be dangerous or just damage the hose itself.

need to have two couplings as the compressor has the plug (same as the one in the first post),

and so does the ARB inflator (and no, i cannot change that plug otherwise it will not deflate).

Also, best style clamp for the job??

cheers

Comment

• craka
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                    Ehi guys, has anybody modified his compressor hose so that it has two couplings (see photo)

rather than one coupling and one plug at the two ends (like all the ones of the shelves)?
                    Just trying to understand if the pressure left in the hose could be dangerous or just damage the hose itself.

need to have two couplings as the compressor has the plug (same as the one in the first post),

and so does the ARB inflator (and no, i cannot change that plug otherwise it will not deflate).

Also, best style clamp for the job??

cheers
                    I did something similar as I had a thumper type compressor with the male nitto fitting (until the compressor died recently, not related to the fitting) . I think I got what I needed from super cheap, to create a coupler to give a female connector on bother ends. Whether it's the wrong or right thing to do, I don't know but it is what I did.
                    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• signo1985
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Perth

Originally posted by craka View Post
                      I did something similar as I had a thumper type compressor with the male nitto fitting (until the compressor died recently, not related to the fitting) . I think I got what I needed from super cheap, to create a coupler to give a female connector on bother ends. Whether it's the wrong or right thing to do, I don't know but it is what I did.
                      Ok cheers.
                      Have you ever had any issues?
                      If I use the coupling on the inflator it makes a loud bang when I take it off (which is the pressure stuck in the inflator itself).
                      Which is one of the two reason I need a plug (the other reason is with the coupling it does not deflate as the coupling needs the plug to being "open"

Comment

• Two Emms
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2020
                        • Mansfield, Vic

As an old carpenter who used a compressor driven nail gun for years, I would never have a hose with two female fittings. They do not allow the pressure out when disconnected so you hose will always contain pressure. Admittedly we ran at about 100 psi or so but the principles are the same.

A pressurised hose can be difficult to connect as the pressure is trying to close the fitting as you try to push it on.

The exciting bit is when the pressure in the hose finds a weak spot and comes out with a rush. This can be caused by a flaw in the hose getting weaker over time, the air in the hose getting hot in the sun and splitting the softened hose or worst of all, a fitting letting go and shooting off into the surrounding scenery!! Any of these things can happen at any time, minutes, days, a week after the hose was last used.

With a little care it can be ok but put simply, with two female fittings on your hose, you are making it into a stored pressure vessel.

Personally I would have a male fitting on one end and a female on the other. When the hose is not in use, coil it up and plug them together to keep crap out of the hose.
                        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• signo1985
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Perth

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                          As an old carpenter who used a compressor driven nail gun for years, I would never have a hose with two female fittings. They do not allow the pressure out when disconnected so you hose will always contain pressure. Admittedly we ran at about 100 psi or so but the principles are the same.

A pressurised hose can be difficult to connect as the pressure is trying to close the fitting as you try to push it on.

The exciting bit is when the pressure in the hose finds a weak spot and comes out with a rush. This can be caused by a flaw in the hose getting weaker over time, the air in the hose getting hot in the sun and splitting the softened hose or worst of all, a fitting letting go and shooting off into the surrounding scenery!! Any of these things can happen at any time, minutes, days, a week after the hose was last used.

With a little care it can be ok but put simply, with two female fittings on your hose, you are making it into a stored pressure vessel.

Personally I would have a male fitting on one end and a female on the other. When the hose is not in use, coil it up and plug them together to keep crap out of the hose.
                          Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to hear, or should I say did not want [emoji28]
                          Ok so my options are?
                          Basically the compressor has got a male plug (for the same reason air should not remain trapped in it).
                          But to use the arb digital inflator it must have the same male one, otherwise it does not deflate.
                          And that's how it is actually sold (I had to chamge the plug from the ARB style one to the nitto one, but the principle is the same).
                          The hose as we said came with one male and one female.

So again, what could I do?
                          Could I get a female coupling to plug when needed into the inflator so that I can actually use the hose, and then take it off when I need to deflate??

I wonder how the arb compressor kit comes in the box? [emoji848]

Comment

• Two Emms
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Mansfield, Vic

The compressors we used to drive nail guns always had female fittings and stored the pressure from one day to the next with no ill effects.
                            I guess a properly constructed pressure vessel and piping is not as fragile as a rubber/vinyl/plastic hose.

Personally I would have no issue with having a female fitting on the compressor.

I will say however that this is based on my usage of larger compressors and the little fellas we use for our tyres may not like being used to store pressure.

While the hose is still connected you could let the pressure off a bit, if you were concerned.
                            2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Seigried
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2016
                              • brisbane

I have one of these for my thumper max

There is a black button on the side of the trigger grip which can be used to deflate the tyre. And for releiving the pressure in the airline after turning of the compressor.

I did have to buy a new air chuck thought. Mine broke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X