• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cllachance
    • Dec 2018
    • Ecuador

New owner trying to figure out his Montero Sport

Hey all, Chris here. I am currently resideing in Ecuador and I bought myself a 1998 Montero Sport and it seems to be a bit of an oddball for a couple reasons.

I went and had an OME suspension in it and the rear end is Leaf Spring which I was told is weird for the Montero sport. Not a big deal and I don't mind the Leafs.

The next Item on the list I am trying to figure out is the transmission. It was swapped from an automatic to a 5 speed manual. My Montero has a A/T button on the dash which is for the Automatic transmission models and it is active and lights up an indicator on the instrument cluster. The problems with this setup is that my 4X4 currently does not work and that my ABS is illuminated when I lug the motor along at lower RPM's.

It is my understanding that the Auto transmission models the transmission and 4X4 is controlled by the ECU and this is what is causing my ABS light to illuminate, honestly I am not to concerned with this. The 4X4 not engaging is due to the 4wd switch and solenoids not getting the proper signal to engage the front end, or I am assuming. Again I am not too concerned with this as I will install some manual freewheel hubs and permanently lock the front diff. I grew up on manual hubs and it this doesn't bother me at all.

I am assuming that this swap was done because it was cheaper to put the manual in the Montero then it was to either repair or replace the Auto that was in it. Here in Ecuador not too many years ago it was very hard to find someone reputable who could work on an Automatic transmission and even now it would be an iffy situation. Can you guys see any other issues I could encounter with this system? Or is there a way I could correct these problems and get the Montero to a stock setting?

Thanks in Advance, Chris
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Welcome Chris,

In Australia the Montero Sport was badged as a PA Challenger Series 1 and there are still quite a few of these and the Series 2 on the road today. Here is a link to a reasonable history that explains the different models and specification that where made and sold globally. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Challenger

There is a dedicated sub-forum for PA Challengers on this public forum.
    Maybe the Moderators can move Chris's post to this section where he might get some more replies.

Normally it is much more involved to convert an Auto to Manual rather than a Manual to Auto so chances are whoever did it was reasonably capable and did it correctly. Without seeing the circuit diagrams of both the manual and the auto I cannot see if and how the ABS light is related to the Auto. Does the ABS actually work?

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 01-01-19, 11:14 AM. Reason: Thanks Mods and HNY to you all.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Are you sure the ECU wasn't swapped over at the time of changing the transmission also?

Comment

• cllachance
        • Dec 2018
        • Ecuador

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        Welcome Chris,

In Australia the Montero Sport was badged as a PA Challenger Series 1 and there are still quite a few of these and the Series 2 on the road today. Here is a link to a reasonable history that explains the different models and specification that where made and sold globally. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Challenger

There is a dedicated sub-forum for PA Challengers on this public forum.
        Maybe the Moderators can move Chris's post to this section where he might get some more replies.

Normally it is much more involved to convert an Auto to Manual rather than a Manual to Auto so chances are whoever did it was reasonably capable and did it correctly. Without seeing the circuit diagrams of both the manual and the auto I cannot see if and how the ABS light is related to the Auto. Does the ABS actually work?

OJ.
        old Jack, thanks for directing this to be moved to the correct location. Due to the poor roads around here i have felt the ABS engage a couple times so I do know the system is working, at least when the light is not illuminated anyway.

Comment

• cllachance
          • Dec 2018
          • Ecuador

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          Are you sure the ECU wasn't swapped over at the time of changing the transmission also?
          I am unsure if it is or not, the previous owner that I purchased it from had not done the swap and was not even mechanical enough to see that the Montero did not start its life as an Automatic.

I will have to track down the ECU and get a part number off of it. Do you have any idea of how to tell the difference? Is it a different number or I am assuming it is the same ECU and just flashed by the dealer to different specs??

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

To the best of my knowledge, this vintage Challenger / Montero Sport has "Easy Select" 4wd - all mechanical, without the AWD / 4H mode of Super Select. I'm not sure the "ECU" does anything other than drive the dash lights.

I'm wondering if the lack of 4wd and the light while "lugging" are related. I wonder if there is a vacuum problem? Does your brake pedal get "hard" when the ABS light comes on? Do you know how to test your vacuum booster?
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Originally posted by cllachance View Post
              I am unsure if it is or not, the previous owner that I purchased it from had not done the swap and was not even mechanical enough to see that the Montero did not start its life as an Automatic.

I will have to track down the ECU and get a part number off of it. Do you have any idea of how to tell the difference? Is it a different number or I am assuming it is the same ECU and just flashed by the dealer to different specs??
              That is getting beyond my knowledge of the mitsubishi's. I know in other car's they have generally been different. I'm looking into the ability to flash etc at the moment, you might be able to just get the firmware for auto model and flash that

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                That is getting beyond my knowledge of the Mitsubishi's. I know in other car's they have generally been different. I'm looking into the ability to flash etc at the moment, you might be able to just get the firmware for auto model and flash that

I spent several years looking for someone that could remap a Mitsubishi Auto ECU and I could not find anyone in Australia that could do it. JR Tuning in the UK could but it all got too hard, too risky and too expensive. This is what led to my involvement with MM4x4 and the development of Auto Mate .

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Interesting. It appears that Stumagoo has the skills for reflashing at least, not sure on his skills with auto mapping. Do the products that you sell bypass the computer to achieve what you were wanting? Would one of these be applicable for OP?

Comment

• cllachance
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Ecuador

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    To the best of my knowledge, this vintage Challenger / Montero Sport has "Easy Select" 4wd - all mechanical, without the AWD / 4H mode of Super Select. I'm not sure the "ECU" does anything other than drive the dash lights.

I'm wondering if the lack of 4wd and the light while "lugging" are related. I wonder if there is a vacuum problem? Does your brake pedal get "hard" when the ABS light comes on? Do you know how to test your vacuum booster?
                    I have done alot of reading on the Montero Sport, Pajero, and Challenger once I bought it. I am quite sure when I came across the information regarding the difference between the 4x4 systems in the Auto and Manual in these vehicles it was in relation to the installation of freewheel hubs. I was down the rabbit hole but I will see if I can find that information again and post back with a link.

Currently as the vehicle sits it is very capable as a daily driver and has no real issues other than the odd leak that I am trying to get sorted out and I will be building bumpers, roof rack and side steps. I will be installing the freewheel hubs to give me a full mechanical 4WD system as I am not a fan of the vacuum systems as they can give you issues when its least convenient.

nj swb - I do know how to test a vacuum booster but I have zero issues with the feel in the pedal so I will save that until I understand the issue a little more and dig in to it after my trip to the US next week.

Thanks for the replies everyone, hopefully i can get this sorted out before I start going on some fishing trips in to the Andes lol

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X