• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonbat
    • Aug 2017
    • Epping

Rodent Havoc in Woolgoolga

Spent a lovely week up at Woolgoolga and missed most of the rain in Sydney.

When I started the car for the trip home from Woolgoolga it was running roughly, felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, and lots of lights were showing on the dash board.
    Made it home to Sydney.
    Took the car to the local servo today and when they went to open the bonnet they jumped back saying there were eyes in there.
    They gave me a broom and towel and told me to find a new home for the eyes in the park down the road.
    Turns out the eyes belonged to two little mice who hid in the engine at Woolgoolga, now relocated to Epping.
    Looks like they had a bit of a nibble on things and chewed through one of the injector wires thus causing all of my problems.
    Wire now soldered back together and running smoothly again.
    Now just need to give it a long run to clear the DPF Warning.
    Attached Files
  • marlin1856
    • Apr 2013
    • Melbourne

OMG haha that is so bizarre, cheers to the 2 little guys for not roasting under there
    2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Not house mice. Some sort of native marsupial.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

They are cute little buggers that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

Rats mice etc love the heat from the engine. Some people recomend when stopped for the night (in the bush) to leave the bonnet up with a ligh on the engine to detter rodents etc. Then once cooled down shut the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

I think my word when opening the bonnet would have been “Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty …”

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
              I think my word when opening the bonnet would have been “Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty …”

Geoff

Umm. They are an Australian native Geoff and protected. .

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                Umm. They are an Australian native Geoff and protected. .
                Oh, my mistake! But Kitty would know that ...

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                  But Kitty would know that

Cracked me up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• pajtastic
                    • May 2017
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Not house mice. Some sort of native marsupial.
                    Indeed, look like young Antechinus perhaps.

Very lucky they were ok, poor things. Hopefully they’ve survived in their new surroundings.

Comment

• farcanal
                      • Mar 2010

This reminds me of a similar happenstance that I read about in a 4 x 4 magazine online.
                      A guy had bought a new Toyota something, might have been a Fortuner, and he had camped by a lake somewhere in NSW.
                      He was with another couple and a second vehicle, and same story, in the morning his brand new Toyota was running very rough on 3 pots. Apparently a water rat had got under the bonnet and chewed some vital wiring.
                      Anyway, long story short, they got the car to a dealer who broke the news that the complete harness would have to be replaced because just repairing the chewed wire would void the warranty. From memory, a $2500 repair. Don't quote me on that one.
                      I think the guy took his car to a local garage and the wire was soldered and taped ...good as new.

Comment

• woffleon
                        • Jul 2016
                        • NSW

They look like Mitsubishious injectus separartious a common problem on the NSW north coast. Had the same issue with bush rat when camping out they love the warmth of engine bays and to sharpen their teeth on soft plastic wiring harnesses. That oil filler depression make a fantastic nest site.
                        Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

We get the white tailed rat up here (Cairns) and best way to deter them is leave an LED light on under the car, at night. Plenty have found chewed wires when camping at Lake Tinaroo.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• gemster
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Gold Coast

Dealt with those things for over 10yrs when We lived at Woopie (Woolgoolga, Hard name to say, Lovely place to stay)... As others have said, a light on at night will keep them away...
                            Had to take in a stray cat just to deal with them, No more issues... Native or not they can be a real pain and cause lots of damage... We lived in a House in the Bananas and had lots around... Very common on the east coast, every bush camp has the same problem....
                            Gemster....
                            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X