• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Lovells HD & Lovells shocks?

Hi All,

Just found a rear shock (Bilstein) leaking. Got these 2nd hand and have had them in 4 and a half years - rear boots are shot so its no surprise. Currently have these with Kings KCRR35 in the rear and KCFR35HD in the front. Have propped up the rear with 15mm spacers and haven't been happy with a bit of passenger side sag. Am considering changing full rear set up and maybe front as well.

Looking at Lovells S3 shocks with Lovells raised HD CRR-91HD. The std duty raised Kings sagged too much towing the camper.

Depending on cost may also bite the bullet and replace the front as well with Lovells S3 and CFR-90HD.

Any feedback on the Lovell springs and shocks combo? Reports I've read are generally good about the springs but most are pretty old.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • jkwpajero
    • Jun 2008
    • Young, NSW

I have Lovells CFR-90HD and CRR-91HD in my NW VRX, with Bilstein dampers. The setup is a little firm for smooth bitumen road running at low speeds like around the suburbs, but that is the trade off for better all round ride and handling over a variety of surfaces. I wouldn't change the setup I have. Can't give any feedback for Lovells dampers, however Lovells are good with technical inquiries so maybe send them an email and get some performance details in comparison to Bilsteins.

James
    2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

I had the HD in mine, after 3.5-4 years ago hey began to sag under load, without a load they were fine. They were replaced under warranty with EHD, after that when my camper (190kg ball weight) was hooked up it sagged to the height of the HD springs without trailer attached.

I had rear shelves, fridge, 2x toolboxes, full roof rack, 70L aux tank etc.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Axis View Post
        Hi All,

Just found a rear shock (Bilstein) leaking. Got these 2nd hand and have had them in 4 and a half years - rear boots are shot so its no surprise. Currently have these with Kings KCRR35 in the rear and KCFR35HD in the front. Have propped up the rear with 15mm spacers and haven't been happy with a bit of passenger side sag. Am considering changing full rear set up and maybe front as well.

Looking at Lovells S3 shocks with Lovells raised HD CRR-91HD. The std duty raised Kings sagged too much towing the camper.

Depending on cost may also bite the bullet and replace the front as well with Lovells S3 and CFR-90HD.

Any feedback on the Lovell springs and shocks combo? Reports I've read are generally good about the springs but most are pretty old.

Cheers,
        James

Hi James,

CRR-91HD are a lineal rate coil that have a free length of 355mm and a spring rate of 869lbs/inch so these are lighter duty coil than the KCRR-35's you all ready have fitted.

KCRR-35 are a progressive rate coil that have a free length of 350mm and a spring rate of 660 to 1000lbs/inch so these are a stronger spring and will carry more weight for a given ride height than the CRR-91HD.
        KCRR-35HD are also a progressive rate coil so they are more comfortable when lightly loaded but carry weight better when loaded, they are 340mm free length and 800 to 1200lbs/inch.
        KCRR-35EHD are stronger and taller again, a progressive rate coil that is 350mm in free length and a spring rate of 850 to 1400lbs/inch.

Getting the right coil for rear suspension is difficult as there is normally a big difference between the unload rear axle weight and the loaded axle weight, especially if towing with high towball weights. Also the IRS means that the coil is having to work twice as hard with half the length compared to a live axle coil, this makes the design of the coil very specific for a range of weights.

Best way to select the correct coil for your application is to weigh the rear axle when the car is empty and then reweigh the rear axle when the car is loaded up and trailer/caravan hooked up. Once you have these weights PM or email me and I can provide some coil options with projected ride heights. I have spring data on King, OME, Dobinson and Lovells coils and complex formulas so I can calculate which coils will best suit your weights and desired ride heights. There is unfortunately no perfect coil that provides soft comfortable ride when empty and a controlled ride without major loss of ride height when at or beyond the rear axle limit.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Axis
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Highett Vic

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
          why not fit airbags to the rear with existing springs and pump up for the occasional van towing?
          Good point Vlad. Reason is I want more height out of the rear anyway even without towing, springs are 4 and a half years old and the rear is passenger side is lower than the drivers side which annoys me
          07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X